A thought from another thread...because I am the type to

Nick C

consider all sides of a discussion.

Someone posted that there are family members here whose loved ones have passed, but they leave the timelines in their signatures. His point is that he feels like scrolling through posts is sometimes like

scrolling through obituaries.

I am one of these folks. And have considered if leaving mom's timeline in my signature is first and foremost helpful, and secondly right.

I must admit, I remember the night I typed her timeline, trying to remember the good times we had had in that short 30 days. And I remember sobbing and tping through the tears, sitting back and breaking down. So a part of me doesn't want to give folks a "summarized version" of mom's illness. HOWEVER if it would be more helpful to take it off, particularly to those who currently battle, then I would.

Please let me know? I would probably formally "introduce myself" as I never did and that way I'm not just deleting my record of those 30 days...but would certainly do it if helpful.

Let me know your opinions.

Thanks all.

I personally like the timelines. They've helped me to understand what is normal in diagnostics, monitoring, treatment, symptoms, and side effects. All of that has assisted me in my current role by providing me with a steady point of reference. I also find the surviving family members who contribute here to be invaluable sources of empathy and information.

Hey Nick,

I think it's important to have the timeline - it's the first thing I look at when a newer member has posted. I think it really helps me relate to a person in many ways, to know their background of experience, etc., especially when there are personal comments in the timeline, like in yours. In some ways it can be a tribute or somewhere you can express love for your lost one. I never really thought of taking it off, or as an obituary...I don't know if that's right or wrong either.

I always feel a bit lost when I read someone's post and there's nothing but a signature, but maybe that's just me. I think to each his own, whatever their comfort level allows them.

So in short, I vote for the timeline....

I am prety much in the middle I think. I deleted Debs after she Passed. I know it by heart and probably will never forget it as long as I live and Breathe a breath of air. With newer members I encourage them to post one of course, Because I am a research hound. Every little bit helps of course when you ask for help with something.

Nick,

For my situation, I very much like the timeline, because my husband has gone thru so much, I feel that for me it benefits because of the excessive amount of treatment he has done and still is doing, helps me remember timelines when I am discussing everything w/ my husbands' drs. and other healthcare professionals.

Also, for others who either are going thru similar circumstances themselves or their loved ones, it lets them know about how my husband has handled this disease. And without me having to go thru a very long explaination of what he has done it is easier on me.

And, I want people to see my husbands' fight as one of hope and inspiriation, Nick, my husband shouldn't even be alive right now, and for some reason beyond anyones' control or explaination he is. I want people who choose to read his timeline to know that people do and can live with this devistating disease.

...just my two cents...

Grace

Nick

I am with the others here. If I feel that Brad's timeline is inappropriate when I post to someone, I simply untick the attach signature box before I submit my post.

Personally I have found it very helpful to see what others have gone through in their lives with Cancer. My profile line is short and very basic as I do not have the exact drugs and/or treatments that Bradley went through during his illness. I do know that in less than 3 months from diagnosis, he was gone and that is just so unfair to a 31 yr old.

Thank you,

Christine

Hi Nick,

Looks like I'm the first patient/survivor to respond. So, here's my 2 cents -- please, LEAVE THE TIMELINE IN! It helps me to appreciate you and your mother more than you'll ever know.

By the way, thank you for remaining such an active and supportive voice on this Board. Your compassion inspires me.

Trish

You know...I didn't see that as an option, to click to not attach a signature...maybe I will do that on certain boards... such as the intoduce board...might be too overwhelming...but here and in certain other spots where I think it'll be of good use (like the "what to expect" type questions...I'll leave it clicked...

I didn't realize we had the option...

Our individual timelines are a part of what we are, what we have gone through and what we continue to go through!! I understand Bill's concern about how it can be upsetting. But, it is what it is!! We have to face adversities every day of our lives and that will not change. Everyone is different and everyone will respond differently to treatment. Find your hope and stick with it no matter what you read..With that being said, I agree with the majority....keep the timelines.

Bill,

I am so sorry you are feeling the way that you do. You are a strong spirit, brilliant writer and obviously have a good outlook on life. Continue to hope and pray for the best even if statistics don't dictate a very positive outlook. When I was diagnosed, I was aware of my prognosis, the statistics, and the outcome but I will NEVER give up or let that get me down. I absolutely refuse to let it.. I live for today and hope for tomorrow. We all go through spells where we think of the future and if it will exist but I always try to remember that "Yesterday was the past, tommorrow is the future and today is a gift and that's why it is called the present" What a glorious present I have been given!!!! I pray that you continue to have many glorius present's!!

GOD BLESS YOU MY FRIEND!!

Jamie

Nick,

You are a very thoughtful person. I would like to point out that the founder of this site KatieB is here because of her Dad who unfortunately lost his battle. should she be asked to take that off the front page. We are all here because we have ALL been affected BY Lung cancer in one way or another.As a parent I am humbled by your love for your mom and think you should leave the sig line.

Hello Everyone,

I personally like the timelines. It is what separates this forum from the other LC forums I have been to. When I first came to the boards it was kind of depressing reading some of them but then there are others that have given me so much hope. They've also been extremely helpful with looking at different treatments and how people responded to them as well as serious side effects that identify when something is going on that needs to be checked out by the doctor. Just my 2 cents.

Sincerely,

Rochelle

Sorry, but this really P's me off.

I can't find what started the whole thing, but I guess it rather upsets me to think that since my parents are now dead, what they went through in their LC fight just doesn't matter anymore. It kind of makes me feel the way I've felt about my mom's death in general: she experienced so much in her life, was a beautiful, lovely person, and made me everything I am today, but when she died we stuck her in the ground and people around me just went on with their lives within a couple of days. She was HERE, she made a difference, she MATTERED. To ME, anyway.

And, I guess all in all, that's why I don't post here very often anymore. I try to give support, but maybe I am just not very good at expressing myself. Coming up on the one year anniversary of my mom's death, I realize I am moody and emotional, but I have also realized that this isn't the place for me to be anymore, since both my parents have now lost their fight. Hearing about this now pretty much solidifies it.

Crying...

I can tell anyone that wants to know Debs timeline. I will remember it until I take my last breath on this earth. For every one right now the important thing is that she fought for 3 years to survive every day and never give up hope for anybody except the Good Lord above. :cry:

I personally like the timelines-it shows others where we have been and what we have been through with this horrible fight. I do think everyone is entitled to their opinion- it is part of life, however I do not think this should be open for discussion. I believe at a later date, when Katie and Rick are back, they should be the ones who make the decision. We all have at least one thing in common---Lung Cancer. We are here to support others going through all kinds of trials and triumphs, not only the bad but the good as well. This site has been my source of info for along time almost a full year now. It almost seems like a new addiction-checking in to see how everyone is doing- whether they are the patient or the caregiver. I truly feel like I have a connection with a lot of people here- people that helped me through an extremely difficult time in my life. I hope that I can help someone as much as some of you have helped me. Continuing prayers for everyone on this board

Connie

I like the timelines - as somone said above if you don't have it you don't have the whole story. I firmly believe that just because our loved ones are now gone that we still belong here as much as anyone. LC touched our lives. We have information and experiences to share. We need to support one another. My Mom is gone - should I not be here anymore? I sure hope that isn't the case because if it is then this place is not what I had thought it was all along.............

AND if you don't like reading the timelines, just read the message and don't read the timeline portion.

I have to agree that the profiles are very valuable for a lot of reasons (from everyone). Even if one did experience loss, these profiles help other members who are actively in the battle locate who has had what experience with what treatment options and side effect issues -- really saves time in asking and re-asking or hunting and searching for that information using only archived post histories.

When we respond to other members, it gives the poster's history or experience with the issue that they are responding to. I used that a lot myself when I was new here and getting to know people along the way. Helped me zero right in on who to contact for thoughts when I had an immediate crisis on my hands with a decision needed within hours or me needing to dive right in to a new research venue for mom and I didn't always have a day or two to wait for an accumulation of general posted responses. Those profiles opened the door to many choices for PM support from patients and caregivers, for example, when I was in a corner and needed to reach out for specific help/guidance in a big hurry.

I did spark to Nick's discovery of selectively omitting profiles in posts. I wanted that option when I'm doing multiple responses in a thread, for example, simply to save the readers some eye time -- I now know how to include it only once in a given thread if I want to. I might choose to use it when I'm responding to another member's post who has come to already know me as well. It's an option I appreciate knowing about.

I hesitate to add this thought, but I'm going to because I think it's really important to consider on this issue in general with regard to the profiles of those of us who have experienced loss:

I really think it's important to keep those in tact for all members because when I was in the battle, though I knew all the dismal stats, as I learned more about this dx from other general sources out there, I still found a huge number of people here beating the odds and having good quality of life happening even if the battle was ultimately lost for that individual. That in and of itself inspired me alot to forge ahead (and my mom DID defy the prognosis she was given too)-- I can't be the only one who draws inspiration from that.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Linda

I'm pretty sure the MY PROFILE isn't going anywhere! When did "MY PROFILE" get changed to Timeline? This wonderful board was designed with "MY PROFILE" Option from day one, as to HELP everyone here that is fighting lung cancer.

The PROFILE is a very important tool to LCSC and always has been. And that Includes the NEW people that join this wonderful board, because when people come to this board they are all coming here to seek lung cancer information.