A thought from another thread...because I am the type to

Nick C

Seems the general consensus is to keep the profile/timeline :D and let individuals choose whether or not to read them. I agree with that viewpoint. I also agree with Don. People need hope, but they also need the reality of this awful disease. It is what it is.

Blessings on us all. We're all here because this damned disease has somehow affected our lives.

My profile shown my mom lived 2 years after diagnosis of stage IV NSCLC, and with good quality of life. And reading the profiles of people like Don's Lucy and Jimben gave me so much hope!

And let's face it, in this life we're ALL terminal. It's just a question of when.

But it's MY profile, and if and when I am ready to either consolidate it or simplify it, or simply not include it in any given post, I will do so. But right now it honors the fight my mom gave against LC, and no one will convince me to change my thinking on this one.

~Karen

I don't know how to say this without sounding rude, but my profile is a badge to me, it says I have been to the war with my Beautiful Mom, and we didn't win. She tried to fight and I tried to help her and here is our story. It is what it is. As we all know in the grieving threads, death is a very real aspect of Lung Cancer. I think it is a valuable tool to help us realte to each other and I wouldn't change it.

A profile says who we are and I am who I am because of my mom.

I like to My Profile/timeline. It has helped with understanding and learning other options.

Sometimes they are very hard to read. They should be- this is horrific for everyone involved!!

When I posed a question to Dr. West on Onctalk I copied and pasted it under my question and he said something about it being very detailed. It helped him help me!!

Kelly :D

Okay, call me crabby :evil: or whatever but I'll put myself out there. I really sort of feel like I should shut up since I haven't had much time to post anyway, but that never stopped me before...

Since I haven't been on the board much lately, I'm not sure why we are even entertaining a discussion about the 'profile' part of our signature and that Nick is almost apologetic about doing a profile and why we are worrying about what the consensus is. I have been on the board almost 4 years and that is 4 years of people putting profiles on their signatures. That is the way the board was designed for those that want to add them- And if the profiles sound like obituaries, well, sometimes they are and I agree they are a tribute to those who passed and sometimes a help to those who are here. I wish that ALL the people that we lost could be represented, but unfortunately alot of them didn't have a family member on the board and their lives and their battle only live on in the memories of those that were lucky enough to have 'met' them.

Side note - I'm not sure when profile started being replaced with timeline, but personally I find the word timeline very annoying and somewhat scary. But its 12:30 in the morning, and like I said, I'm crabby, I don't mean to start/continue a debate. :evil::wink:

Guess I must be getting stronger if I'm cruising through the grieving section. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that I was the one who brought this topic up originally -- not Nick, so if there's a "culprit" here it's me.

I'm not going to regurgitate the discussion here because I have a better understanding of where everybody's coming from ... and I agree with you.

There's just one point I do want to stress, and it's this: I'm not just a cancer patient. I've been on both sides of the fence with this, having lost 4 people to cancer in the last 6 years alone, including my mother and stepfather. In other words, I didn't start this discussion because I was uncaring, dispassionate, or ignorant of the feeling that are involved. I started it because I thought it was important, and clearly it was otherwise the responses would not have been so passionate. I learned something from this. If it caused any distress, it wasn't intended.

Bill

Bill didn't know you had lost your mom...and so many others...so sorry.

And to clarify...the "timeline" thing was my coinage. I called it that because when I arrived here in late september, that's just what it looked like to me...

Anywho, long story short, after receiving the feedback, my personal decision is to keep the profile, drop it when I am repetitively replying, but also drop it when the situation warrants. But most of the time I think the info is important.

Hey Guys (Nick C),

I did see the light about the profiles/timelines/whatever it's called. Sometimes I've just got to go through a process before I get it. But the information is important, no question. I do think my original concern about it was and is valid and I'm pretty sure it'll come up again at some point in the future -- but it won't be from me. :)

As for cancer, the 21st century in my family has sucked from day one. Too many people in too short a time. Having said that, and regarding everything else, the 21st century is being good to us. I think when the chips are down, on a personal level we humans have a knack of using whatever tools we can get our hands on to pick ourselves up. One of those tools, which I use a lot, is the "comparative" tool, when I take a few moments to figure out how much worse it can be ... and it COULD BE A LOT WORSE. I have a great family who are all healthy and happy (hmmm, did I just suggest they were all over the moon that I have cancer, or am I being too sensitive?). :)

But seriously, nomatter who you are, what you're doing, or what you're dealing with -- it can always be worse than it is ... ALWAYS.

Bill