Went to the Naturopath Doctor and left hopeless

We went to an internationally known and accredited Naturopathic Doctor who has written books on reversing the effects of cancer and has been involved in cutting edge treatments to improve the survivability of cancer and quality of life while undergoing treatment and he told my husband that he had about a month to live and should save the money he was planning to use for treatment and go to Hawaii. My husband has never heard his "prognosis" per se' and has held onto some internal hope of beating this unforgiving disease and this crushed his spirits (and mine). We went to this doctor to get some direction and guidance while my hubby is not having chemo and we got this? I am so angry and such an emotional wreck that I can hardly function whatsoever now. I can not believe anyone could be so heartless, negative and without compassion with someone who is trying to make it through cancer. :cry:

I'm very angry that this happened to both of you, and so very sorry. God knows - you need every bit of spirit that you can gather to fight this, and no one has the right to casually take any bit of it from you. No one can tell you what is going to happen. Praying for you to re-gather your strength and go back into the fight.

So sorry to hear of another devastting experience one struggling with cancer must endure. All I can say is that in November 2004 I was told there was no light at the end of my tunnel and that I wouldn't see flowers in the spring. That was 2 years and almost 3 months ago. I am doing well and have planted, weeded, picked, arranged, smelled, and enjoyed flowers THAT spring, last spring, and am planning to do the same this spring......2-1/2 years later. This doctor is a heartless, arrogant one. I hope you both can pull yourselves up somehow. I'll be sending you, via mental telepathy, many many positive vibes to go along my prayers.

Kasey

Oh Flowergirlie,

You need big hugs, a bottle of wine, and a very good cry tonight maybe followed by some chocolate. How dare that doctor put a timeframe on your husbands life! :evil: I suggest you take a look on Ernie's story and see if there are some modifications you can make to your husband's diet.

Your husband has had too much for one person to shoulder. I hope you are able to help him raise his spirits and fight for his life.

I think of you and your husband often when I come to this board. Hang in there.

Mendy

Well, up until this, things were going pretty OK. We had some snow and it really was a good time for our family to enjoy each other and play together. My husband has been focusing on things that he loves to do and it has lifted his spirits. We have truly enjoyed each other like we did before this all happened (you know, as much as that is possible).

Just so you all know, I sent the doctor who said this a scathing email so he knows how this has affected us. He replied and even though it could never make up for the damage he caused, it is important to me to confront him and make him aware so that hopefully no one else will ever have to go through something like this from him.

I also called my husband's regular oncologist and he said he does not feel this way at all about my husband and also feels like his progress overall has been positive. That is all we need: some encouraging words and a friendly, sincere smile delivering them.

I can see myself standing at a stream where no one knows the location with your Naturopath Dr. HOLDING HIS HEAD UNDER WATER. the nerve of some people. AM glad to hear some good news from reg Oncologist He at least believes in the fight. Sending Prayers.

I'm thankful for your regular onc. and so very glad you said your e-mail peace to the naturopath -- that behavior was simply uncalled for and does so much emotional damage when we need every scrap of fight in us we can get.

Getting that news happened to me with a doc. during my mom's initial tests and dx (fortunately not in front of my mom) -- it had devastating physical consequences on me that very well could have landed me in the hospital myself as a result of the impact that statement made on me....just when I needed to be strong and to gear up for the fight. It's just unforgiveable in my book to do that to someone!

Do take care and keep us posted. I think of you guys often here,

Linda

I am so sorry that you have had to deal with such a horrific doctor. I understand how you feel. I was present many times when I litterally watched and felt a doctor steal my mother's hope away. I really think some healthcare professionals have no clue as to how to speak and respect people who are going through this illness. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers. Stay hopeful. Sarah

I am so happy that you talked to your regular onc...the nerve of the other guy. I am glad you are looking at all avenues, but I have to say I am going to trust the conventional doctor on this one.

gather your strength and keep fighting.

Thinking of you both,

Holly

I am always shocked at the lack of compassion of some doctors. They are wrong and can't tell anyone how long they will live. My mom was in ICU and the on call pulmonologist walks in and tells my mom she won't make it out of the hospital. My mom was always so positive and it sunk her spirits into depths I hadn't seen. But my feisty mom took it as a challenge and not only made it out of the hospital, but she was more spunky than I had seen her during her treatments. I learned to never ever trust any doctor when they give a timeline.

Please don't let this bring down your spirits and hopes. There are options and lots of people beating the odds. My uncle was given a year after being diagnosed with lung cancer and lived 11 years (passing away from a non-cancer related cause) and never had a reoccurence.

My thoughts go out to you.

I am really sorry about your experience with the naturopath. I am sure that if the shoe was on the other foot he wouldn't have wanted to be spoken to that way. Some doctors just don't get it. We had one assistant radiologist we spoke to who kept empasizing the "one year" factor. Not what you want to hear. What I say to any of them now is that we know the prognosis but Ger is going to try for a lot more than that so we would like as much team effort as possible. All the best with your hubbies next chemo.

Heather

I am also sorry for you in the fact that you had to deal with such a moron. Keep up the good thoughts and know that there are so many praying for your husband. It is true... only God knows when and where a life will end and until He decides to let us know we can just keep up the fight. My thoughts are with you.

Cheryl