Stage IV Survival Poll

spicysashimi

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might have lost a little weight, Aaron, but you ain't lost your sense of humour. :)

Maybe we should get a group to go on Oprah -- wanna see the upside of cancer?

As for seeing your 88th birthday. Teri and I went on a road trip around America a few years ago. We happened to visit Teri's great Aunt Marion who was 101 at the time. Marion had a quirky sense of humour and spent a good 15 minutes moaning that she was kinda bored with life because all her friends were gone ... and she was thoroughly p****d because her cancer had been cured 3 times already. Later in the trip we visited with Teri's cousins and they showed us a picture of Marion's tombstone -- they'd had it prepared for 4 years and the engraving read: "Marion Davis 1897 - 19xx" with the final two digits ready to be filled in. I said, "Hang on, it's 1998 -- if she lives another couple of years you'll have to scratch that out and replace it with 20xx." Sure enough, she lived to be 105. No telling how some people will be so inconsiderate as to screw around with your plans. :)

And how many people have lived long enough to see in 3 centuries?

Bill

Hi all, I'd like to post one interesting "stat".

I'm leaving mom's stats out of this as I don't know whether she was NSC or SC...she didn't see the need to know.

That said, I looked for these stats when mom was sick, and they were grim...but here, not only are the storiess not grim, BUT the numbers are far from grim as well. There is no danger in anybody showing up here and looking...these are winning tales...one after another.

We're all terminal. Our greatest victories come after we're gone.

My Mom was 67 at diagnosis, staged IV NSCLC

Was given 3-6 months.

She lived almost exactly 2 years to the diagnosis date.

Passed away at 69.

Declined rapidly after the doctor took all hope away and told her no more treatments.

I believe that attitude and having hope is just as important as the correct treatment.

Aaron and Bill (and Ernie too, actually):

You guys are just making my day -- I wish I had folks like you around me when I turn the computer screen off. (that actually goes for a whole host of people here and is probably everyone in reality....you all are terrific in my book).

Though Bill, us gals need to teach you about complimenting the fellow without the ensuing compliment to the lady too ....lol....even I figured you could be in trouble with Jen on that one :lol: . You were right though, Jen's dad really does have a youthful sparkle about him (so do you Jen, by the way).

Linda

Linda,

Thanks for uplifting message. I have been sitting at this computer screen, with the Tae Bo tape in beside me on the TV, thinking, "Maybe tae bo will make me look younger, since the lung cancer support community thinks I am old, old, old!"

JUST KIDDING!

I was telling my mom about these posts, and she was literally laughing out loud about Dad being my husband! Oh Bill, you are great for the soul!

God bless you all!

Jen

Nick ... I guess I am somewhat like your mom. I do know my is NSCLC but I never did ask what stage and to be honest with you I still do not want to know. It was inoperable and I received the chemo and radiation. I feel awkward when people ask what stage my cancer is/was and I tell them I do not know. I figured it did not really matter the fight was going to be there anyway.

My grand-mother was diagnosed with stage ii - not sure but think must have been iia - NSCLC when she was 68. She was re-staged to stage iv at 70 and died a month before she was 78 of a viral heart infection.

She was pretty old and yet a long term survivor so i don't know what she's going to do to your figures/theories!

My Mom was 62 when she was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer and 64 when she passed away. She almost made the 2 year mark. She had 2 chemo breaks of 4-5 months each where her quality of life was so good, no one could believe she was Stage IV! My Mom had a positive attitude and never had an ER visit or hospital stay during her sickness. In the end, she passed at home with all of her family around her. As my Dad always reminds us, my mom took cancer for a ride and got off when SHE was ready. She did it her way!

I forgot to share with you my family history.

Dad Dx.d Stage IV NSCLC (Jan 2, 1970) at age 54, Passed (July 27, 1970).

Mother Dx.d Ext. SCLC (March 23, 1987) at age 66, Passed (July 1, 1987)

Sister Dx.d (first time) Early Stage NSCLC (April 1983) at age 38. recurrance dx.d second time Stage IV NSCLC (May 18, 1987) at age 43 passed (Feb 12, 1988).

I'm not a stage IV but I am a stage IIIB and I was dx.d at age 43 with NSCLC (July 25, 1995) Am still here Today! :D

My husband was diagnosed with Stage IV NCSLC on August 7, 2003, age 55, passed two days short of surviving two years, August 5, 2005, Age 57.

The reason his age makes it look like two full years is because his birthday was Aug. 4. So,

Aug. 4, 2003 he turned 55 (diagnosed 3 days later)

Aug. 4, 2004 he turned 56

Aug. 4, 2005 he turned 57 (died the next day)

• 3 weeks later...