New to Group

tonga44

Hi everyone, my name is Cathy and my dad, a ten year survivor of Hodgkins and eight year survivor of non-Hodgkins now has been diagnosed with adenocarcinoma. He is 66 and in good general health, other than some of the lasting effects of his prior treatments.

A lobectomy was planned and he had surgery on 9/9, but we're told that even though the tumor is only 3 cm and in 'the best possible location', they were unable to resect. The tumor has microscopic fingers attached to a blood vessel, rendering it inoperable. We met with his radiologist and oncologist today. They recommend a 7 week course of radiation combined with a once weekly chemo combo of Taxol and Carboplatin.

The major side effect we were warned about is irritation to the esophagus.

I can't begin to tell all of you how much it means to have found you. It has helped me so much already to read through your experiences. My dad has so much faith in his oncologist, not unfounded considering what he has already survived, but he also won't question anything they tell him. I'm grateful to you all, and hope I can provide something in return as we start this journey. Blessings on you all...Cathy

Cathy---so sorry that you have to be here---but your Dad sure seems like a survivor!!!---and he will get through this setback too

Once he starts treatment, he will feel like he is taking action to fight the cancer---If it shrinks will they be able to operate?

Hopefully, he will fly through the treatments

regards Eileen

nsclc stage 1A lobectomy 6/00

Cathy,

There is a posting by John in the New Research forum about Radiation Toxicity management. For me, the irritation to the esophagus was the only thing i was really warned about. I took various medications for it and it wasn't as bad as I expected. But I now have radiation pneumonitis. I was warned that this was a "slight possibility" and that if it happened, it would be "like bronchitis." It is not very much like bronchitis--not being able to breathe is by far the worst part of my cancer treatment so far. Anyway, John's post is about some drugs that seem to reduce the chances of pneumonitis in those doing chemo and radiation at the same time. I would definitely ask about them.

Becky

Hi Cathy,

I had a lot of trouble with esophagitis, and reflux. My oncologist had something he called "magic mouthwash" which had lidocane, maalox, benadryl, and something else in it, you could take a spoonful every half hour. I found it helped enormously in being able to swallow as well as sore mouth.

Good luck to your dad. I believe there should be someway to reduce the vascularization of the tumor so it can be removed. I hope the chemo and radiation work.

Hugs,

MaryAnn

Hi Cathy, WEll, your dad has certainly had his share of bad luck. I sure hope and pray he body reacts the same way to these treatments as they did to the Hoskins.

My husband had a terrible time with the esophagus burn and lost a lot of weight not being able to eat for some time. However, that part is over and he is eating great for the time being. I sure worried a lot back then..one thinks they are going to starve to death but that doesn't happen and it all works out in the end...

Will place your father on my pray list and you hang in and hold tight for this is one heck of a rollercoaster ride....

Hello Cathy;

And welcome so glad you found us. So very sorry to hear of your dad but as others have said he is certainly a survivor! :shock::shock: Also, agree with Dave, second opinions can be real comforting. My doc's encouraged it.

Again welcome and know you are not alone

God bless

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist in enjoying life today!"

Hi Cathy,

Sorry you have to be here, but welcome! Lots of support and information to be had. Your dad sounds like a true fighter and that is wonderful. My mom had that same treatment your dad did. She had 33 radiation treatments in conjunction with the weekly carbo/taxol. The radiation caused difficulty in swallowing and she was given different medications for this. Those side effects cleared up about 3 weeks after her last radiation treatment. I will keep your dad in my prayers for very successful treatments. All my best.

Andrea