REPRIEVE

Sam'swifeShirley

Hi all and thankya, thankya, thankya for all the loving support and especially the prayers.

I've gotten the reports on last weeks bronchoscopy and there is (TAA-TAA) NO CANCER! Of course, it's not that simple. They found a fungus, probably aspergillis, and don't seem to know what to make of it. Not sure whether it's a real infection or not. Real invasive pulmonary aspergillosis is potentially very serious, even fatal up to 30% of the time. But this is usually in severely imunocompromised hosts (AIDS, transplant patients, leukemia) and they are obviously very sick. My immune system is pretty good now that I'm off chemo and I'm not obviously dying right at the moment.

At any rate, looks like I may have to get yet another bronchoscopy Friday to sort this out and them maybe some IV drugs for at least ten days, followed by oral drugs for a while.

On any given day, ask me if I'd like to have a pulmonary fungal infection and I'd say "No thank you" but given the choice between that and recurrent lung cancer, "I'll take the fungus, please and pass the Voriconazole".

God bless us all.

Sam

No cancer ! That is music to the ears ( or eyes in this case) :D

Thanks for the great update. Now that you are not on chemo and "suppressed" you will lick this fungus! Keep us posted. Donna G

Sam,

I've known lots of folks who have undergone chemo and radiation who developed Aspergillis. You may have been exposed to it years and years ago; the spores are floating around everywhere.

Hope that you receive conclusive answers, quick and effective treatment. Keeping it all crossed that you do well.

Fay A.

What exactly IS Aspergillis??? I ask because I have had the worst "itching" feeling in my chest and a constant cough for the past month. PET and CT scans showed clear and I am scheduled for a Broncoscopy......

In any event, Sam -- I am THRILLED to hear that you may have Aspergillis, whatever it may be, because it sure beats the alternative!!!

Sam, you just got me to thinking. It must be terrible and yet it must be good to understand all that they are telling you for your being a doctor with this horrible disease. I sure hope you have the fungus too. I know I am praying for the radiation fibrosis in my buddy's lung rather then that dreaded cancer...and I am not sure I know what that is or how bad it can get. I am not going to worry about that right now until I hear what he has.

I am really really happy you are showing no cancer. Gosh, what a great day for some of us.....that rollercoaster is on the top today....

Thats great news Sam, not that you have a possible infection, but that is isn't cancer so glad to hear, i'd say its time to go fishing.

I'm an expert at bronchscopies had 10 rigid bronchs in 8 months my pcp tell me i could probably take up sword swallowing now, have also had 4 non rigid bronchs in the last year and a half. I guess for you they are going to get tissue samples, so I gather it is a flexible bronch where you are still awake just in lala land, I hate that stuff that you to breathe in that taste like wood smoke.

I going to see my pulmonary doc today in a few minutes to see, if there are any new ideas on how to improve my breathing, personally I think I had radition pnuemitis(sic), docs have never said that just that I had changes due to radation.

Take care Sam, Sorry I got so long winded! David A

Thanks everybody. Here's a link on aspergillosis for all who are interested. It's a little out of date because we don't use amphotericin B anymore and have newer, better and safer drugs.

http://www.lebanonhealth.com/condi/41548.htm

And, my onc talked to his Infectious Disease buddy and they have decided that I don't need another bronch right now and we can just treat this with oral Voriconazole which we start as soon as possible.

Sam

HOLY COW, and WOW, WOW, AWESOME NEWS ON THE NOOOOOO CANCER!!

Can you imagine a stranger popping onto our board and reading some of our posts how happy we are to be "empty headed, and having a fungus" :roll::roll::lol::lol::lol::lol: Without a doubt they must think we are NUTS!!! OH..... But we're the best bunch of nuts I have had the privilege of knowing!!! ((((((((SAM)))))))))

I'm glad you don't have to have another bronch. either!!!! Come on DRUGS DO YOUR STUFF!!!

Take care and continued good health and good news!!!

Sam,

NO cancer is great news!! Before my Dad was diagnosed this year I was actually praying that the suspicious areas on the Ct scan were fungus...even though I knew we didn't live in the "right area" for this to be a real possibility.

Well, if my Dad couldn't have the fungus instead of cancer...I'm glad it happened to you. Now, please get rid of that stuff and get better soon!

Warmest regards,

Lynn

When they first found Darrells mass in his lung we were told it could be a fungus tumor, I remember we joked about praying for fungus! I'm sure people thought we were nuts! I'm glad you have fungus!! I wish you well! Christy