Does anyone know???

Bev'sSister

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that with extensive SCLC there's no point in giving radiation treatment up front. The best course of action is to go through the chemotherapy and try to knock it out from wherever it is ... and then consult with the radiologist to determine what radiation is most suitable.

I think you'll find that the chemotherapy will do a great job of knocking out SCLC. And when your sister has completed her chemotherapy you should certainly consult with a radiologist, regardless of what the oncologist says.

That's about as much as I know. If I'm wrong somebody will correct me.

Good luck,

Bill

Thank you, Bill. She is starting her last chemo today. She has actually had about 8 Radiation treatments to date. Her doctor wants to give her 19 treatments and then do another CT Scan. Her last PET showed the cancer had completly disappeared. I was just wondering, if it is "a good thing". I just really need to hear some good news about this cancer CRAP! I hate it.

You know, this is an interesting post. Bill's response seems to make sense. I guess I would have looked at it differently, and I don't really know, but this is just a guess...

When my dad was diagnosed, we were told that the tumor (he did not have mets) was too large for radiation, and once it got small enough to be effective, they would begin radiation. After two rounds of chemo, we were told it was now small enough, and dad began radiation.

This said, I wonder if the initial tumor is just that small that it can be "hit" with radiation to have a positive effect?

My dad did end up having radiation, and then chose PCI brain radiation as well, to shorten the possibilities of having brain mets in the future.

We continue praying every day that this da*n disease stays at bay.

God bless and good luck!

Jen

I can only say what our radio-therapy doctor told us. When we initially thought the diagnosis was limited SCLC, the plan was to do concurrent 2x/day radiation, starting with the second chemo cycle (so that the first cycle would reduce the primary mass). Once we learned that it was extensive, our radio-therapist said we would re-evaluate the radiation after the chemo did its job (also allowing the chemo to be given at a higher dosage). I think Bill said this, but he told us to come back regardless of what our medical oncologist said -- I guess sometimes there is a disconnect on how the two types of practices see the benefits of radiation.

Having said that, we've decided on our own not to wait to see our radio-therapist again, but to have a consultation now that Bill has finished his 4th cycle, have him look at the latest PET/CT scan, and give us his opinion and possible game plan.

Bobby, it looks like your sister's doctor might be doing something similar, since her PET scan is clear. I guess it's really a case-by-case thing. I wish her all the best with it!

THANKS CONNIE! I really needed to hear that today. I just spoke to my sister, who was supposed to be getting her last chemo treatment today, but it has been postponed until her WBC count comes up some. She just doesn't sound like herself anymore and I don't know what to do to help her through this. I live over 200 miles away, and I go on weekends to clean her house and cook meals for her and her family, but it just doesn't seem like it is enough. She is just always so tired. I am not giving up..just having a bad day I guess.

Bobby,

Your sister is going to be very tired while going through her treatments. That really is very normal.

It knocks the wind right out of our sails.

As for doing enough or not..... I'm sure your sister knows you love her very much, and that IF youc could do more you would. We just can't always be in two places at one time. :wink:

Don't be so hard on yourself. I would LOVE to have a sister like you and know that you love her so much and are doing all you can to help her. I'm SURE she knows that. I think that's very special. YOUR VERY SPEICAL!

She needs her rest and in time she will perk up again. It's a very long and slow process, but it all comes together. Just let her know you love her, send her a card or two once or twice a week. I can't tell you how helpful silly little cards are.

Many MANY people do survivor SCLC. I also know a lady who is a 16 year Ext., SCLC Survivor and she is STILL Cancer free and doing very well. This is BEATABLE!

Bobby (not sure if you're male or female),

What your sister is going through is perfectly normal, and you have to accept the fact that you can do no more than you're doing. If you start questioning yourself it'll just backfire on you and it won't make any difference whatsoever to the practical issues.

A couple of weeks ago I was really down about the whole sordid mess. I wouldn't say I'd given up but I wasn't exactly in a fighting mood either. But I got over it as we all do -- and no small thanks to the people here.

Seems to me that what your sister is currently going through is absolutely essential to the healing process. Think about it for a moment -- if you were there 24 hours a day trying to ease her pain it probably wouldn't help your sister in the long run, because she needs to reach that healthy emotional place by herself ... and that requires that she go through the ups and downs nomatter what.

I have no doubt that you'll see some positive changes in your sister's outlook as she goes through this Twilight Zone process. It'll take a little time, but not too long.

Your sister's on her way back you. Just be patient.

Bill

One more thing, Bobby -- if you think your sister might benefit from talking (or moaning) with someone who is going through the same thing, let me know and I'll PM my phone number to you. Sometimes talking to a stranger can help -- unless you're in a Hitchock movie. :)

Bill

Bobby,

I had chemo and radoation 2x day for 15 days. I had ext sclc with superior vena cava syn. chemo and rad together are consided the most aggressive treatment plan. There are new studies out that show this but it is extremly hard on the patient and is very possible the treatment will kill you. This I can say having done it. To help brighten your sprits I received my PET results today and I am still cancer free. 4 years as of 6 Jan 07. In the beginning I was told maybe 2 weeks to 2 months but the doc still gave me all he could. Tell your sister stay positive and eat ice cream and rent lots of good movies.

God Bless

Don

Bobby;

It is my understanding that Radiation is used in two different ways. First- if the small cell is limited stage, meaning just in the lung- then radiation is used and maybe chemo as back up. However, if it is in the Extensive stage meaning there are mets anywhere else in the body then chemo is used first to treat the entire body and think of radiation as a "spot secondary". My dad was VERY extensive so chemo was started the day after his DX to treat the whole body. It worked. But since reoccurence (spelling sorry), as doc says, we are treating "symptoms" such as when the tumors made it to the brain as of two weeks ago or when a new tumor appeared in his throat and was blocking his breathing. Doc hit that hard with a few rads and it shrunk so he could breath freely. We have 4 more rads to go for his brain and that was to reduce swelling. Just from experience, hope this helps. My prayers for you...

I could be wrong, but I think "extensive" may well be defined as having cancer cells anywhere in addition to the primary location. I don't think it has to be everywhere. In other words, just one rogue cell can make it extensive. By all means, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

My brother was diagnosed with Sclc Oct. 27th. He received one month of extreme radiation and 4 months of chemo. The radiation has done wonders. Before the radiation he had 6 small tumors on his brain and a mass that took up 90% of his lung. With the radiation the brain tumors are gone and with the mix of the chemo and radiation to the lung - the tumor is now the size of a walnut.

I truly believe in radiation, however, my brother is terminal and we were not concerned with side effects, my brother just wanted to prolong his life as long as he could. I am not sure what the side effects are for the lung or why they couldn't do it? We were just told of side effects it could later have on my brohters brain.

Bobby,

you can read in Alan's profile that he has been treated with radiation on 3 different occassions.

Alan did start with chemo, however, he could not handle the treatments so it has been

only radiation since.

His latest occurance was in the lymph node above his

collar bone and once again Alan has responded very well.

The only draw back to radiation is it is a local treatment and will kill the cancer cells only where

treated.

prayers for your sister.

Bobby,

When I was diagnosed with SCLC I had also developed what they call SVC Syndrome which kind of gives an additional immediacy to requiring treatment. They started me on radiation immediately and on chemo the day following my biopsy results. (I'd been on blood thinners prior to diagnosis so had to wait a couple weeks for the biopsy). I was on Chemo and radiation together until my treatment was complete. Total time was from the end of June to just prior to Christmas 2003.

John