To: Cappiello, Keri (TOC U.S.)

Cc: Holleran, Lena

Subject: RE: Co-sponsor for Bill# 687 - Lung Cancer Awareness

I will....thank you for passing the information along. JGF

Sent: Mon 1/22/2007 11:21 AM

To: Sen. Freedman, Judith

Subject: Co-sponsor for Bill# 687 - Lung Cancer Awareness

Dear Senator Freedman,

I see that one of your legislative accomplishments includes securing inclusion of mammography in basic health insurance policies. Thank you for your work in the public health arena. The Lung Cancer Alliance is looking for a CT State Senator to Co-Sponsor Bill # 687

AN ACT APPROPRIATING FUNDS FOR A LUNG CANCER AWARENESS CAMPAIGN.

To reduce the incidence of lung cancer in this state.

Introduced by: Sen. Mary Ann Handley, 4th Dist.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus ... _year=2007

My mother-in-law recently passed away one month after discovering that she had lung cancer that had already spread to the brain, bones and liver. After having survived breast cancer 10 years earlier, she followed her doctor's protocol and received annual chest x-rays and blood tests. We were all under the false impression that she was cancer free. Unfortunately, chest x-rays fail to reveal 85% of the early stage lung cancer that can be found with a low dose spiral CT scan. Although still not covered by insurance, these scans can lead to an estimated 10 year survival rate of 88%. The estimated 10 year survival rate goes even higher, to 92%, for those whose early detected cancers are removed immediately according to the International Early Lung Cancer Action Program (I-ELCAP).

As you have likely heard, The American Cancer Society has recently reported in CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians that estimated new breast cancer cases has decreased 16% since last year. That is wonderful news! However, estimates for new cases of lung cancer is expected to grow 22%. Connecticut could use your help in reversing this trend.

Please consider co-sponsoring Bill #687. The hearing date is 1/31/07 beginning at 10:00am and we could use your support.

Attached is an article that I wrote for the Ridgefield Press for Lung Cancer Awareness month (November). I would be happy to answer any questions that you have. Thank you in advance for your time.

<>

Regards,

Keri Cappiello

Ridgefield, CT