Grey's Anatomy

Treebywater

I know I'm an idiot for even watching it... I've lived enough medical drama.

But... This last week's episode... one of the main characters loses his father. And there is this dialogue between the character who loses his Dad, and another who had lost her father previously....

"I don't know how to exist in a world where my Dad doesn't."

Friend says back: "That doesn't ever really change."

And God.... doesn't that just say it all?

My brother and I wait in anticipation every week. Since I've moved home, we watch it together and even mom watches on occasion. It's our favorite show.

I may be stupid. I know it's just TV, but man did it ever bring out the tears. Matt and I both sobbed all the way through it. After that quote was said, we lost it and had to pause the show until we could pull it back together.

That doesn't sound very manly, eh? Two grown guys bawling over a tv show. Cancer can do that. It really hit home with all the fears we've had the last few months.

The tears started for me when George was whispering to his dad to fight, and then the family was standing around the bed turning off life support...but when he said that line about existing in this world, he summed it all up for me and the loss of my mom.

I can't believe you posted about this tonight, Val. I had missed the last part of the episode and I just watched the rest tonight on ABC's website. I've been feeling kind of silly b/c it is only a TV show and it was so meaningful to me, but that hit right in the gut...

Val,

I also watch Grey's. I totally agree with you...those quotes say it all.

It has been over 2 years since my dad passed away.

I am still trying to figure out how to exist in this world when my dad doesn't.

So I guess when she says "that doesn't ever really change"...well, like you said, it says it all!

Diane

My favorite show, but hit a little too close to home this time as my dad has been dancing too close to the pearly gates lately. He is not the one with cancer but many other health issues that indicate his time here on earth is limited.

AND I actually watched Grey's right after watching the Oprah special with Shawn Hornbeck and Ben Ownby's families. I think I saturated the couch with tears!

Karen

I'm with you. I joined 'the club' in 1978--like the char on the show, when I was 9. I think it would astound many who know me how much that STILL affects me.

Like someone said here earlier, it doesn't get 'easier', but it does get 'dfferent'. You do see the world differently as one in the club, though.

Kelly

I don't usually watch Grey's anatomy but I flicked to it the other night right at that part and I could not take my eyes off the screen. I specifically related to the comment made by the other doctor re: its a feeling you really don't understand unless you go through it, a sort of "club". Very true. Sarah.

I think the reason that they captured it all so beautifully was that.... the writer for those two episodes used HER story. George's Dad's journey was her Dad's journey.

So rather than being a story written to be 'dramatic,' it was real heartbreak, that we know all too well. And that *she* knew all too well.

I'm still thinking on it all. I said things when I watched it that I wouldn't let myself say when I walked through it with Mom. And I cried in ways I rarely let myself cry. Watching it was a really good thing for me.

Anyway--I thought you guys might like to know that it was a 'real story.'

I too watched the show. I knew what the story was about but for some reason I had to watch. I cried so hard through the show that my eyes were swollen at the end. I really lost it at the "Dead Dad's Club" line. I feel the same way as George. Always kind of lost without my Dad.

Denise

I think it also touched me b/c I have two brothers and two sisters and we were all very close to my mom. We would sit around in the hospital room and it was a lot like George's family - my brothers being eternally obnoxious, etc. Then when Mom was went into the hospice, and they thought she only had a few minutes left, we all stood around the bed and held her hands and stroked her head and cried and told her we loved her - that scene just brought it all back. I figured the person that wrote that had some experience with it, b/c it was very realistic...

I don't think I could watch it again...

For those of you that missed it and want to see it, you can go to ABC.com and click on Full Episodes. Pick Grey's Anatomy and it's the 1/18 episode....

Val,

I actually posted this on another board the night of the episode:

Are any of you fans?

I just started getting into it, bought the first season for the kid and have been renting the second season for her. Unfortunately, the Movie Gallery does not have episodes 5-10 of the second season and she refuses to watch the third season without watching the complete second season.

Whatever. I watched it tonight and teared up when the guy who pulled the plug on his dad said: " I don't know how to exist in a world my Dad doesn't". We get scan results next week, but I'm thinking regardless of the results, I'm going to fix up a nice weekend resort in his finished walk out basement (His house was built on a hill) and just be there for him. Gawd, I love that man!

The scan results came back stable btw.

I was touched by those lines too. It really hit home.

I don't know why I watch things like this either except that sometimes it validates what I am already feeling. Then I can pick up and go on. Is is it a kind of release or permission to "go there" when I might not normally let myself? I don't know.

I just heard this week that a highschool friend of mine passed away late last week from colon cancer. He suffered greatly and some how I can't find the sense in it all. I am numb all over again. Each time it hits hard. The tears don't come ... just an overwhelming feeling of helplessness or something.

I'm just rambling ...

Karen