Getting to Know You - January 26

Ann

Do you really like your current job or are you just there because you need the income and "have to be?" If you're retired, did you like the last job you had? Just wondering how many of us really love what we do everyday.

Good question Ann. First of all i just thank God i'm still able to work. I would have to say i like what i do and also work because i still can and can alway's use the money. I think also that far to many people think that there Company owe's them and are not thankfull that they gave them a Job. And so far employers in this Land are not Regulated to do so. I better quit and get off my soap box........Larry

Ann, my parttime retirement job bores me to tears. I work 24 hours but could do the job in 8-12, so I spend a lot of time on the internet.

I keep the job for a number of reasons:

the money pays for my play time

with no job - more play time - need more $$$

I wanted a job that I could leave at 5 (not 7 or 8)and not have to think about.

Yes I love what I do. I run a non-profit that works with developmentally disabled and mentally ill individuals. We run group homes, and provide staffing for clients in apartments and respite for families with disabled children at home. We are growing like crazy right now and employ about 225 staff. I get stuck in the office most of the time now so I love it when the managers bring the clients in to visit.

This is a tough question for me and I'm the one that asked it. I love the actual work that I do but I absolutely hate all of the company "politics" and "drama" that goes on every day. And...when I say "drama" I mean it! I would love to be able to come in and do my job without ever opening the door all day. Sometimes, when I think of doing this until I'm old enough to retire, I get extremely depressed!

Oh, BTW, I do all the job bidding and permitting for a construction company that is rapidly growing.

I love my job- although at times it is very stressful. I'm a project manager for a construction company that builds roughly 25-30 custom homes a year! We are also expanding and most of our homes go between $700,000 and 1.5 million, which is a lot of house for your money compared to other areas.

Connie

I have been retired 14 years now. My total career with Shell was as an applied research chemist. I enjoyed the research as well as working with people. The last three years before retirement, I worked in Head Office as a quality assurance representative for a line of products. It was a dream job for me -- my skills and experience fit the job, and I got to see a whole business operation. When Shell began to cut back, I took early retirement, so I could leave on a good note. Don

Worked for an insurance company

ten years as a CPA and

four years as an auditor.

After changed field and put in

twenty six years as a Program

director for handicapped people.

Really loved both.

Now I do volunteer work, and I like

it also.

Jackie

I can honestly say I enjoy my job and LOVE the people

I have worked with the same core group for over 11 years

and without their support these past 2 years dealing

with Alan's cancer would have been even worse.

The only thing I don't like about it, it takes me away from my man.

Best thng My boss ever told me and Stuck to was that Family is more important than Work. Take care of Family and Job will be here when you are here. NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! I Love that Guy 8)

I absolutely love my job!!

I work in the self-contained behavior disorder room at the local jr high as an associate teacher...but co-teach a math class and a social skills class in the "regular" special ed classrooms, too. I started out working one-on-one with behavior disorder kids, then switched to a special ed classroom at a high school and loved each of them in different ways. I got to pull the best of both worlds together when the district here began the self-contained classrooms and the principal called me to see if I'd want the job. The only question now is if I stay as an associate or finish a degree and start teaching. Still not sure what I'm going to do with that one, I guess.

I am extremely over worked, underpaid... they changed our job description and after 22 years it is so different. I have a hard time with all the downloading and paper work, not to say to have to meet with managers and do presentations. Too many Chiefs.....

As you see I don't post as much as I used to because of all this work. I have 5 years to go and I have NO CHOICE but to do my best and stick it out just because of medical for Joel.

I love my work before the change. I am not good with changes... that is for younger people.

Good question, Ann

Maryanne :wink:

I would say that I really love my job still. I've been a respiratory therapist for almost 16yrs. now and I still get excited when I help a newborn baby take it's first good breath, and blessed when I'm there to help someone pass on in peace. Sometimes I need some time off to take care of me, but then I'm right back in there because I love it. Just wish I had more weekends and holidays off. :)

I love my job as K-12 music teacher. However, it's time to retire in July (my choice). I'm ready to move on and hang around people my own age. Travel sounds good too. Have to admit that some kids are getting harder to manage these days. Blaming it on today's society.

Cyndy