Heriditary Lung Cancer

bbear

Hi all--so little information is out there about this but I was wanting to know if anyone had any thoughts on it--my father (age 57) had it and my brother was just diagnosed with Stage III (42). Is this more prevalant passed from female to female or male to male? Or does it even matter?

There is a hereditary factor. It puts you in a higher risk factor. My grandmother had cancer. My father had cancer. When I was diagnosed with cancer my daughter who is 40 went and had a CT scan to check. I have read that if you fall into the higher risk group that it is a good idea to get a spiral CT scan. A random study showed that 26 % of tested individuals that were in that higher risk do to hereditary, smokers or past smokers, had some form of cancer. There was talk of getting insurance companies to cover these types of preventive scans.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Bbear,

When we had an online chat with Dr. West on December 6, 2006 this topic came up. (Dr. West is an oncologist with a specialty in lung cancer who graciously gives much time and support to the LCSC.)

Here is what he had to say during that chat:

--------------------------------------

aurora06[5]: family history and risk?

DrWest[5]: family history isn't usually a significant factor. We're just starting to learn about genetics of lung cancer, but it's a much smaller player than in some other types of cancer, as far as we can see.

Welthy[5]: Dr. -- Why is it in so many families if it isn't genetic?

DrWest[5]: there's familial patterns of smoking, and it's a common cancer anyway, but we haven't seen any really tight relationship. (end)

---------------------------------------------

I find it a real head-scratcher myself as my husband's father had throat/neck cancer and his brother had LC. I just automatically thought that it must be something that runs in families.

Hope this helps and good luck with everything!

Welthy

I have often asked docs this very same question...because my Dad was a heavy smoker,and got it in his 60s...they seem to pin it on that rather than heredity,my grandmother had it though,and was non smoker.I have nodule on my lung...and concerned even though I have never smoked...because of my family history.My doc said if younger nonsokers get it in certain familes...they tend to think that might be more due to heredity...but truthfully he said they are really not sure.My family history...and living with second hand smoke is why I decided to get ct scan in the first place. Debbie

I just thought I'd jump in here b/c I have given this so much thought. Most doctors say there is no link, however they suggest me get scanned at age 40 "just because" since both of my parents have it.

Apparently another factor they look at in hereditary stuff is the age of when the family member was diagnosed. In my case, it was age 57 for my mom and age 65 for my dad. They say since my parents were "older", there is less of a link.

I had a chest ct-scan 5 years ago b/c an infiltrate was found and I had 3 follow ups and all clear. It is an example of how things can just pop up on scans and mean nothing. I have had yearly chest xrays also.

I keep debating back and forth whether I get another scan now or just wait till 40 (which is another 5 years).

I tend to believe there MUST be a genetic predisposition, in some cases. LC (specifically, adeno, or adeno w/BAC) struck my father, my paternal uncle, and my maternal great-uncle. My paternal grandmother succumbed to larygneal (sp?) cancer. My maternal great-grandmother to breast cancer.

Many studies are being conducted in this area. In time, I believe a link will be discovered.

Yours in HOPE!

Stacey

I just know it is DNA related.

In my family, dad and moms side, all the relatives not one cancer... Mom & dad died in there 90's of pnemonia (sp)

Now Joel is different. Mother had colon cancer, sister, breast cancer, his aunt & uncle on his moms side both died of LC and he found out his biologial father died of LC and had stopped smoking for 30 years!

There has to be something to this. I don't care what the doctors say.

I think I might start a thread on here and ask how many people had relatives in their family who had LC.

I read some of the profiles and it just blows my mind how many people have family memeber who had LC. I think the DNA could just be weak lungs and smoking or enviroment just effects it more than people with have no history...

Anyway, I feel it is definetly related (no pun intended)

Maryanne :wink: