how does the doctor determine the stage

Robin

I don't have a clue what stage my cancer is in and the doctor doesnt say,I know it is inoperable. I have a massaround the pulmonary artery and 2 other places in the same lung also a lymph node in my neck all on the same side so what stage what that be?

Robin,

It is beat to ask your oncologist what the stage is. He has all the information to determine this. The chemo that you are going to get sonds like a good plan. Have you had a second opinion? I had stage IV and only had chemo and it worked for me and it can work for you.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Hi Robin. I hope your treatments are going well. You are a much braver person than I am. I did not want to know the stage when all of this started and have never been told and never did ask. It was inoperable and I had radiation and chemo and so far have had "stable" PET scans. Have another PET this coming Friday morning and I am crossing my fingers, my toes and praying a lot.

Robin,

The nodules in the same lung are what would determine your stage. If there is cancer anywhere outside of a lymph node and outside of the same lobe of the lung where the original cancer is, it's considered metastatic, because it would have spread there through the bloodstream. If it got into the bloodstream at all, it is nearly always the case that there are other micrometastases, a small amount of viable cancer that can't be seen with any scans, but are able to travel to other parts of the body, settle, and become larger tumor deposits.

If the nodules are in the same lobe of a lung, then they aren't technically metastatic. It does sound like you're being treated for advanced, or stage IV, NSCLC (appropriately), and that's also what the description sounds most like, without having more details.

I hope you're doing well with treatment, Robin.

-Dr. West