Can you BELIEVE the total!

David P

Hi everybody.

Well, what do you think? Dave G, Fay A, Ray A, and anyone else going through chemo -- is it good enough to be an honorary member of the LCSC Follicaly Challenged Club? I have been pretty busy lately and have not been posting much, but I have been reading and am reminded daily what a lousy disease this cancer is, and hope I don't sound too upbeat about what I have been doing, but after I tell you about today it's pretty tough not to feel upbeat. This is for all you that are sick and tired of being sick and tired.

We had an AWESOME assembly this morning. The police were scheduled to ride into the gym at 10:15 through the 3 banners in the archway. The headshaving of the 39 heads, and a pair of legs for the guy who was already bald (26 kids, 11 teachers, a grandmother, and my dad) began at 9:45 after I introduced everyone, including the 7 hair stylists (I know, not much styling involved with a head shave :lol:). As I called their names, each person burst through the banners, running in while the blairing Jock Jam music played, just like it was a big American sporting event. It was a very powerful sight. Even more powerful was watching all those young kids lose their hair to support kids with cancer. I was one of the last to go.

My dad and I sat beside each other to get shaved; my dad is in remission from Non Hodgkins Lymphoma - his hair JUST grew back in. And I did save a bit of my rainbow colored hair. I figure I can either frame some of it, or I could make some small clown wigs with it.

So, here's the kicker... my small middle school of 457 students raised $12,500.00 in just 3 1/2 weeks!! We combined that with my $5,500.00 I raised at the malls and we presented a cheque for $18,000.00 to the Canadian Cancer Society and Cops for Cancer Tour de Rock. But wait, that's not all. The department store I work at part time and helped fundraise at also presented their $11,200.00 cheque for a total donation of $29,200.00!!! Now that was a powerful sight.

I guess this means I get to take a bit of a break. Don't have to start training for next season's bike races till mid December, and the kids at school say we don't have to start fundraising again until January. It'll almost be like a holiday. Oh, before I forget - Fay A and anyone else out there who has been too shy to get their beautiful bald headed photo of themselves up on the message board -- JUST DO IT !! Take care all.

David P.

Great job David!!!!. By the way I saw a program on brains on our local PBS station ( educational TV) It said exersise releases a protein that your brain needs to be smart. They showed a guy 94 quick as a whip who had started daily exercise at 42. You must be heading to be absolutely brilliant! Again great job. Donna G

AS IF!, Ray...

I see your shiny bald head in your picture, but you have some of the most BEAUTIFUL eyes I have ever seen....and a genuine smile that lights up your whole face...

As my dad says, "God only made so many perfect heads - the rest he covered with hair!" (Dad's been bald since his first military haircut.)

David, what an awesome job!! Sounds like it was a lot of fun. You look pretty good as a fellow Chrome Domer. What an inspiration you are to us all. I have already pledged to myself to get my head shaved next year for the St. Baldericks event. I will work as hard as possible to get as many people as I can to join me. Again what an inspiration.

Ray, coming from a guy I think you look pretty good also. Keep the positive attitude.

David C

Hey Ray! I'm with David C on this on -- you make bald look great!

After our event everyone kept saying that all those who got shaved looked great. And it was true. I think we should all head down to West Virginia, eh David? And Donna, I REALLY like your bit on exercise and smarts -- seeing as I will still be racing at 94! The whole thing was fun, but with that serious undertone, and I can hardly wait to get started again in January. Take care,

David P.

What an amazing accomplishment! Think what a difference this will make to so many families.

In the Detrioit area today they were doing a telethon for the Children's Leukemia Foundation. I was driving to work listening to a man talk about what the children go through during treatment, and how hard it is on parents. I had cried all my eye make up off by the time I arrived.

The one amazing thing though was they said they expect to cure childhood leukemia within our life time. They feel they're getting close. Isn't that something? :)

David,

That is a pretty amazing amount of money to raise! Congratulations! David, you look good bald. However, Ray, you need to keep this look!!! You certainly do not look sick, you look like a movie star....like the Rock! What a hottie! No disrespect to Mrs. Ray.

But back to being serious...David how awsome. You make us proud. You encourage me to get out there and do something!

Cheryl

Dave P.

You are one amazing human being. The world is so much better for having you in it. Your endless dedication to eradicating this dread disease in such a positive, and selfless manner is awe inspiring.

Thank you,thank you, thank you for making this a better place to live

Cathy R

David:

Looks like I'll have to start shaving again soon. My wife is starting to complain about me having whiskers. I haven't shaved since the end of May. Talk about being "follically challenged". I actually haven't missed the shaving. I figure I have saved about $50 on shaving cream and shampoo. A bar of soap does wonders at keeping the "dome" nice and shiny. I have noticed, however, the hair is just starting to grow back, but looks like it wil be awhile before I have a head of hair again.

Welcome to the club. At least you lost your hair from the outside.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

David,

You're truly an inspiration! Thanks for all the work you do, and for you continuing contribution to this board.

I haven't shaved (where women do :wink: ) in months, and I have mixed feelings about whether my chemo treatments are over for now. That all depends on a CT scan in 1-1/2 weeks. I kinda wish I'm done, so I might have some of my *own* hair for Christmas! :D

Not having hair is trivial in the scheme of things, though, I know.And, I also kind of like my husband's nickname for me, since he thinks we're the same person in different bodies--"Mini Me"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave,

First of all, I have to agree with the board, you look good bald too, some people have all the luck, hair, no hair, rainbow hair, and still look good!

Now to the important stuff! YOU ARE AMAZING! I can not believe you raised that much! wow! don't I feel like a loser for raising so little for the AIDS Walk this month. Oh my God, the most I ever raised was like 5000 and I went right to celebrities and athletes to get big donations, a cheat really, WOW! that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

WOW........................HOW GREAT IS THIS NEWS????? I am just so very THRILLED And SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU ALL!!!!!!

In my humble opinion, you can't make a HANDSOME, GOOD LOOKING, FANTASIC MAN and MAKE HIM (Not handsome, good looking, etc) when he has it all!!!! I think ALL our Dave's and Ray's and Sam's & Tim's, ETC.... are some head turning, good looking men, with our WITHOUT the DO!!!!!! 8)8)8)8)8)8) I think this is a fringe benefit to have good looking guys on this board.

DAVID P., I AM SOOOOO VERY VERY PROUD OF YOU, and I KNOW YOUR JUST AS PROUD OF ALL YOU HAVE DONE, AND RIGHTFULLY SOOOOO my DEAR!!!! ((((((((((((((((DAVID)))))))))))))))))

It's BREAK TIME!!!! :wink:

I LOVE you guys!!! Bald is beautiful.

David P.

You make me proud of you as a person, a teacher, and a friend. I love your zest for life. Thanks for the uplift and for $ for cancer research and treatment.

PS to Ray A.:

I keep squinting at your picture...is that an endearing earring that compliments your present follically-challenged hair-do so nicely? I agree that this is a look worth keeping for you. Part of the charisma comes from the look of pure happiness shining from your face.