Things not good - update on my husband - back to hospital

Gosh, there is so much going on here, my tears today have been mixed, first hearing about Frank, what a genuine, kind, spirit, God has called to heaven, I pour a drink and toasted to Frank, and asked him if he would save a spot for my husband.

As you may know Carlton came home Monday night, alot better than a week ago Tuesday. On tues. the Visiting nurse came in for assessment, and the physical therapist. He will be seeing them a couple of times a week, but he doesn't want any home health aide, or a hospital bed.

But on Tuesday, it was rough, he started to have uncontrollable "seizures" - "focal/petite mal" on his left side, thank God for ativan, but Carlton is obviously much slower, in everything he does, says or thinks. He is on so many damn pills, at least he can swallow. But he is stubborn as all hell, and I guess I rather have him around like this, than not at all.

It looks like it is getting more and more difficult for him and for me, I am so fragmented, the girls, even though they won't show it are having an enormously tough time with this.

But today, we met w/ the oncologist. and had "the talk"....I don't have to go into all the details, but basically, tumors in the brain have grown, the cancer obviously has spread, there are not alot of options, quality of life vs. quantity. But my husband wants to fight, so now the dr. is going to start Carlton on IV ireacotan)) my spelling bites!), only 60 mg ( 1/2 dosage) every week, to see how well he can tolerate it. I trust the dr. he's a very good man.

..but later on this afternoon, Carlton was having even more intense, "focal seizures"....I gave him 2 mgs of ativan, and he was still having them 1 1/2 hrs into. So I called the onc. office, I was amazed he spoke to me directly, he told me to up his dexamethadone and I can give him a couple of mgs more of ativan, if he needs it. But of course, 911 if he has a major seizure. This is the brain tumors.....I got him to sleep...

but later on this evening, he tried to go to the bathroom, and my youngest heard a thump, and I ran up. he fell, trying to go to the bathroom, he was bleeding, he scaped his arm something bad, but now, you got to throw embarassment and shame out the window, and take care of, and let the ones you love take care of you....I got him bandaged up....and changed his clothes - (I made him put on "depends"), I told him, just for tonight, thats all. He said I wasn't treating him w/ dignity. I have all the dignity for my husband, my methods may need to be tuned up, but I wanted him not to hurt himself and not be in pain....

...I don't know how long he has.....no body knows.....but all I can tell you is that, yes he is dying, I am on "autopilot". I am so grateful that you all exist and that this place exists, you are part of my rock, my lean on, my comfort......

Thank u,

luv

Grace

Grace...... I just ache for you and Carlton and your girls. I hate this stuff, and I just hate what it is doing to your family.

Just thinking out loud here... but maybe a bedside commode would help? That way it's not such a huge transport issue and maybe that will feel like a little more dignity.

So many, many (((((hugs)))))) to all of you.

Grace,

I ache for you and your family. You are so brave to continue posting throughout this difficult time. I say this prayer daily, hope it will be a comfort for you.

God Bless and the children.

Laurie

Trust in the LORD with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways acknowledge him,

and he will direct your paths.

Proverbs 3, 5-6

Grace,

Your post brought back so many memories.

My Mom had the same thing happen. The fall in the bathroom and having to put depends on her. It is so hard for them to give up that independence and it just hurts to see the ones we love so deeply going through this.

The autopilot is sometimes the only way to cope and get through this...you are doing a WONDERFUL job.

Stay strong and keep us posted on how ALL of you are doing.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Oh Grace. I am so sorry to read your post this morning. What a horrible disease this is. Urgh :evil:

I ask God to grant you, Carlton, and the girls his peace, love, and support. I ask that He wrap His arms around you to give you comfort. I ask that He hold Carlton in His hands making him free of pain. Grace, you are an amazing wife. You are doing your very best...and we support you 100%.

God bless,

Jen

Oh Grace my heart go out to you. I know what you are going threw, my DH had this too. Get a potty to put near bed. My DH did want a hospital bed,cause he could not get in or out of our bed. He told me all moldest went out the window. We did have to get a cather after a while. I'm prayering for you's.

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I am unclear why the onc has given him ativan for his seizures-- it seems he should be on a seizure medication or diastat when he goes into the cyclical seizures. Seizures take a toll and he will be slow and out of it after having so many. I would ask about dilantin or a similar drug and maybe a neurologist consult for a drug to control the seizures.

quick update,

after 4 falls, and total unable to stand...called the onc. he said back to hospital, he thinks rehab may be the best for him, but husband wants to do chemo on monday, so we think hospital best setting, just waitinf for call from hospital for his bed to be ready....

will update when i can...

Grace