Getting to Know You - February 13

Ann

Oh yes! I wanted to be a Linda, Susan, Jennifer, Ann, Janet....anything but Geraldine.

All the way through school I was the only Geraldine in the entire school, if my name was said in asembly, in the school yard, in the hall, anywhere at all EVERYONE knew who it was.

I wanted the anonimity that my friends with the above names had, their surnames had to be used as well if they were to be identified for anything.........not me, the principal ALWAYS knew when it was me!!!!!!!!!!!

Geri

I am actually the opposite of that situation.

My name was changed at Adoption time from German to english.

Sacher Meisner is Now Randy Wallin

Oh yes...for years I hated my name. In the south, it's common for women (and sometimes men) use their first and middle names as one "double" name. So, for most of my life I was Ann Dean. I got the Ann from my aunt, who was Martha Ann and Dean was my mom's middle name. As soon as I was married, I became just plain ole Ann !!!

Real name is Virginia, nobody, not even the nuns in Catholic school called me Virginia, always been Ginny. When I was younger I thought that when I became an adult, Ginny would sound like a child's name. But I don't mind it at all other than nobody gets it the first time, I get Jenny, Joanie etc. So I say Ginny, like in Gin and Tonic.

I did want to change my name when I was a child. Because there are so many "Marys" in my extended family, the middle name is always included as a second name. So, my Mom was "Mary Ib" (Elizabeth) and I was Mary Colleen. When you add that to my old last name (Mary Colleen Mcgee) I just hated it and thought it sounded ridiculous. It was also always getting called out in class (all 3 names) by the nuns when I was talking or my mind was roaming. So, when I married I became just "Mary Kline", which sounded much more normal to me. However, I kind of slid back to "Mary Colleen" over the years because it was simpler to stick with it - no one I had known before could switch over to Mary, so I just gave up.

When I was a little kid, I wanted to change my name cause people who are reading it from a list always say "Michelle." It would make me so angry, but then my mom told me that before I was born, my dad's whole family wanted to name me George.

Realize, now, that my dad's name is George, my grandpa, great-grandpa, great-great-grandpa, and ALL my uncles' names are ALL George.

So after that, I was quite content with Mitchell. Just glad Momma had a backbone and refused to name another person "George."

8)

Mitchell

My real first name is Cellostine. I hated the first day of school. They always stopped and hesitated and then tried to say it. I wanted to just be named Tina and forget the real long unusual name. I would spend the whole day telling the teachers to call me Tina...BTW, I was very shy and I hated to have to talk on the first day in every class.

Just call me Tina, ok?

Thanks for asking Kasey. I'm named after a friend of my parents. She has actually lived next door to them for about 20 years now and she goes by Tina, too. She is named after a Naval ship in the Atlantic.

When we call my parents say "It's Tina next door," or "it's Tina, your daughter" to the other one. It's kind of humorous.

I'm pretty happy with Jen. I was jenny for awhile in highschool/college- when any of my friends from that era call me that, I feel like a little kid.Like Deborah, jennifer was the name that meant I was in trouble.

HOwever, as the family story goes, Mom was ready to name me Cornelia - thinking it would be cute for all my friends to call me corny.

So, with apologies to anyone out there named Cornelia - I'm pretty happy with Jen

Well, I have never wanted to change my name. When my sister and I were born mom couldn't think of 2 names so, she let each of our grandmothers name us hence, Kimberly and Cynthia. Everyone used to ask why they didn't rhyme and that is why. but, my mom used to put us to bed when we were babies and get up the next morning and realize she put us in the wrong beds, we REALLY looked alike then, so I guess if she didn't realize the mistake one day, I could actually be "Cindy" instead of "Kim"! :shock: Who knows!!