Can you eat, after radiation, even if it hurts?

HI Bobby- As far as i know it is ok- my sister found that sometimes water hurt worse than food... It was sort of hit or miss which foods hurt. Is she taking carafate? That is a liquid med they use to coat the esophagus so that you can eat with less pain.I do believe that the pain passed within a week. I hope she is enjoying food again soon!

Best,

Marco Jo

I don't think eating anything in particular will make the esophagus worse..........just that some things may be more difficult than others to swallow. Fried chicken............I can SMELL it, ya know, but that may be difficult to get down. If she can, however, I say she should just go for it. At least give it a try. I found that chicken was difficult due to the shredding quality. Bread was difficult too. But whatever she can manage to swallow she should..

Kasey

Mom's onc told her exactly this "If you can get it to go down, eat it". Of course, for her this meant greasy hamburgers (from a LARGE CHAIN burger joint)and soups that she got really tired of very quickly. She said anything "real cold or real hot" hurt her, as did anything starchy (including the noodles from chicken noodle soup! LOL). It seems that each person is different in a way, but some things seem to hold true. Dry and crusty seems to hurt the most.

I REALLY hope she can eat that chicken!! It sounds yummy!!

If she even wants to eat after a dose of Carafate, she no longer has taste buds. That was the NASTIEST stuff I have EVER had to take in my WHOLE life. It makes Nyquil seem like honey! Sure, it soothed my throat a bit, but UGH!

She should decide what works best for her. I couldn't do anything dry, abrasive, or "absorbent" - as in, anything that would absorb the spit that was helping to ease it down my poor throat. Double Stuf Oreos went down real easy, but the milk chaser came close to being a suicide attempt...

Small sips of liquids, nothing real hot, nothing real cold, and just keep trying new things to see what works. It also helps to chew food until it's mush and not chunky...

Bobby,

I pretty much lived on ice cream, pudding and cream filled chocolate Bismark's for a year or more. I still have to be careful with what I try to consume. I have to cut things very small and chew them until they liquefy but I'm doing it and finally gaining weight. Maybe even getting a little chunky again. :oops: Of course that may have something to do with having a beer or more once in a while too. I couldn't get that down for a couple years either.

The advice I got was the same as most. Eat as much as you can of whatever you can whenever you can.

John

Thanks for all of your replies. She is actually eating almost everything she can. She told me she ate some fried shrimp yesterday and said it hurt, but she ate it anyway. I think she is probably one of the few who has gained a couple of pounds while taking radiation. She can hardly wait til she can eat normally.