New to board and have questions

Guest nhnikki

Guest nhnikki

Hi My name is Nicole and my Dad was diagnosed 1/16/07 with sclc. His treatment is radiation 5days a week and chemo on Fridays. He has finished 2 weeks and it I believe is hitting him hard and fast. He has been very positive and want to fight however he has lost about 20lbs already and now doesn't want to get out of bed to go to his treatments. He is so tired and as of yesterday had diahrre really bad. Is this because of the radiation, the chemo? or could he have the flu? I live far from him and its just my Mom taking care of him and she doesn't know what to do or ask or anything. She too is staying postive but I need to know what you are thinking? Is he going down hill fast? Is this just the process? Should we call someone and tell them how bad he is feeling? Its so hard with me living in NH and him in SC. The cancer is up to his tracea and they needed to shrink it so it doesn't cut off his breathing. he has emphasema and is on oxygen. His Brain scan is clean. Can he make it through this? Please tell me the truth so I can get preparred. They did say without treatment weeks but with a year.I am flying down this Saturday. Thanks for any answers.

Nicole

Hi Nicole!

I am sorry your family is going through this and your dad is suffering. Your supportiveness for your mom and dad is so wonderful!

Treatment is so hard and can definitely take its toll on many levels. Even though there are many side effects possible and probable with treatment, you should still advise your mom to contact his doctor because he can be given something to make him more comfortable and especially stop the diarrhea. It is important to stay hydrated and keep the weight on.

Have you been in the family members/ caregivers area of this website? Everyone here is so supportive! Please contact me anytime you need to.

Flowergirlie

Hi-you have come to the right place for support and answers. My Mom was diagnosed Sept 25-2006 with extensive small cell and is doing very well. She is only getting chemo and has just finished her 6th cycle. Do you know if your Dad has limited or extensive? I'm not sure if they are doing the radiation because it is near his trachea or because it's limited. I don't know much about the weight loss because my Mom has only gained weight and was able to eat. I do know my Step Dad who had non small cell had the radiation and couldn't eat because of being burned by it. Tell your Dad there are survivors of small cell and read him everything positive that you can get your hands on. Cindy the moderator on this forum is a 6 year survivor of small cell extensive so that gives us all hope here.

Take Care

Dar

Nicole

Chemo and radiation can take real toll on the body. Both can cause appetite problems. Chemo can cause nausea and radiation can sometimes cause burns. My mom did get severe diarrhea from one of her chemo treatments. Tell your mom to make sure to call the doctor, they can give him something to stop the diarrhea and possibly fluids. Also, she may want to discuss an anti-depressant for him. Many people need them even for a short time.

Your dad can make it through this. Just read through all the posts. There are many survivors of sclc. It may not be easy but it can be done. Don't give up hope.

Lisa

Guest nhnikki

My Dads is extensive sclc plus the emphazema. He hasn't thrown up yet, just very nausus so I told Mom to call the Dr and they did prescribe him something to help. He had just the one bad episode of diahrre so I hope thats all. The worse part is the feeling so sick and not being able to breath. I just don't want him to give up. He really wanted to fight this in the biginning but now he just feels like crap.Maybe if he could just get one good day of feeling good it would be better for him. Again, My Sister and I are flying down on Saturday so maybe that will cheer him up.

Thank you all again.

Nicole in NH

I will tell you that my husband was very determined to fight in the beginning and began to lose that during treatment because he felt so bad BUT once he was done with treatment for that time, he started to feel better gradually...remember, ANY bit of time that your dad feels OK or good is time to be thankful for and enjoy. I think it is fantastic that you and your sister are flying down to see him and be a support to him! Cherish every moment as much as you can and love him and listen to him if he wants to talk. I think the best gift is being there and available with no pressure on him for anything.

I am glad they prescribed something for the diarrhea. That is so unpleasant on top of everything else.

I am here for you if you need to talk or anything else I might be able to help out with.

Flowergirlie

Hello Nicole,

You have gotten some great advice here already but I wanted to say hello and welcome you to the site.

I am glad you will be able to fly down to spend some time with your Mom and Dad soon. I am sure that will be a great lift for them.

The one thing I will add to the words of wisdom you have already received is that your Dad should take the anti~nausea meds regularly. It is much easier to manage the nausea from the very beginning than to try and get it in control after it hits full force. Also, make sure he drinks PLENTY of water. Dehydration is a big concern with the treatments and is not easy to handle.

As for the diarrhea, I believe that is a common side effect for some folks with certain chemos but it is best to let the doctor know about it if it returns.

Please let us know how we can help and keep us posted.

My best to you and your family,

Christine

I got bad diahrea from chemo and my oncologist gave me some immodium and it helped. Last week I had a stomach virus and the immodium came in handy.

After my last chemo treatment , I became so tired that I calld the oncol and I had to go back to see him. He decided I needed a transfusion and put me in the hospital for a day. That really helped. they did take blood every time I went for a treatment but nothing showed until about 2 weeks after my last treatment. Can you talk to the oncologist?

Nicole,

So sorry your Dad is in the pits right now. Please keep reminding him that there is light at the end of the treatment tunnel. The shortness of breath hopefully will ease when he gets enough treatment to shrink the tumor off of his trachea. My husband began with one of the tumors compressing his bronchial tube and he also has emphysema. His breathing was horrible to begin, but is now much improved, although he has been on oxygen 24/7 since diagnosis. Things will get better!! Tell him to hang in there, although I know it is so tough when they feel so bad from the treatment.

Hugs to you too!

Welthy

Hi Nicole and sorry you and your family is going through this. You really asked a tough question in which only GOD know's for sure. My advice is pretty much the same the rest have given you and trust your Doctor's as there only human and they some time's have a tendacy to look at the worst possible senario. Just let your Father know how much you've loved him and you will do every thing possible to aid in this battle and be his strenght when he is weak.....Larry