Tightness around the chest...

carolhg

I had my upper right lobectomy in July of 2005. I thought by now I would only have a scar to remind me of the surgery-WRONG! Aside from the mental/emotional concerns I have this feeling of tightness around my chest. It feels like I need to unhook a too tight bra(ok guys, stay with me here)only I am not wearing a bra. Anyone else have this problem?

Carol

I can’t relate to the bra thing, (I have never liked them), but, I can relate to the tightness somewhat. I still have a slight tingle that runs along a single rib from my back all the way to the front middle of my chest and it is still painful to touch. I understand it is nerve damage from the surgery. You should, of course, mention it to your doctor, but your tightness sounds like nerve damage also. I’m sorry I can’t forward you a reference, but a while ago I was searching the internet for “thoracotomey” information and came across an article that indicated the majority of thoracomtomey patients will experience ongoing discomfort and that 20% of those will need long term drug therapy to alleviate the pain.

My surgery was rather atypical......more like open chest surgery. That being said, I deal with big time chest issues all the time. Not sure this helps you though, Carol. I have discomfort/pain/numbness from Adam's apple area, right down the center of my chest, underneath my right breast, around to almost my back. Some days that can really get me down! Not much of a chance of forgetting about the surgery. I view it as a small price to pay for being where I am today.

Kasey

Carol,

I can definitely relate to the tightness, although its not every day. It seems my symptoms switch up - some days I have tightness, other days I have that electrical thing going on, then I have the numbness, then I have a dull pain in my sternum, then I have the ache by the scar or my side. But the tightness is annoying - I keep pulling at my bra and then realize that its not my bra. Oh, and I still wear a bra about 2 sizes too big because God forbid I wear a bra that is semi tight - multiply above aches, pains and annoyances by 5!!!

Don, thats interesting about the majority of patients experiencing ongoing discomfort. It makes me feel better somehow to know that we suffer in good company. Also helps minimize the fears when the aches, etc start snowballing in my mind into bigger things...

Hi Carol, Yes my scar still hurts...some days more than others, but nothing I can't handle.

As far as that feeling of a tight rope wrapped around the chest - I had this too and it really hurt until some of my friends prayed over me. They asking specifically for relief from the tightness. It worked instantly. I'm very grateful. :)

I don't get everything I pray for, but I pray that this tight feeling around your chest will be lifted.

Barb

Thank you all for replying to my post. I am so glad to know that I am normal under 'new normal' circumstances. It helps so much to express my concerns here because sometimes I feel really unsure of myself, my aches, pains and worries.It's just that sometimes if I don't know what is causing the pain my hyper vigilance takes over and scares me into thinking something is really very wrong. I certainly hope that I said that in an understandable manner. I am just so grateful for all of you. Thank you! Thank you!

Carol

I too get a tightness across my chest on and off. I also don't wear a bra unless I go to the dr's or visiting. Since it's winter and I'm wearing a sweater and a jacket to go out, I don't use a bra. When I do I have those bra extender things - 3 or 4 of them depending on how my breathing is.

Now I'm trying to get something for summer wear that's comfortable. Thinking of making my own or at least trying to make one.

Upon seeing this post I had to read it. My cancer was deemed "inoperable" so I received 35 radiations and chemo. I was beginning to worry before my last PET scan that the beast had returned because of numbness/tingling/pain that is basically constant from my right axillary and my right breast. My onc said that it could be caused by the radiation treatments and the nerves and muscles on the inside that were damaged. So even though I did not undergo surgery I still deal with the discomfort. I also can not find a bra that is comfortable becuase it cuts right across the most sensitive area. I went to Wal-Mart yeterday and bought some undershirts like the ones my dad used to wear and I will wear that under my tshirts etc. so far it is working fine and the arm hole is loose enough to not cut into me. I love this forum. :lol:

Hi Carol...

I an nearing 2 a half years from surgery and still get these little zings and tightness now and then...and the weirdest feeling is like a 'rumbling' at the scar site...like some one is rolling something around in there..just occasionally thou

BRA????...forget it... :lol: only when I go out...I wear big enough sweaters ..great in the winter...have to figure something out for the summer..and when I do wear a bra...off it comes the minute I get in the house...

Carol...this is us honey...our 'new normal'

Take care and God Bless us all...hugs...PamS.