Update on my sweethear Earl

Guest ginnyde

Guest ginnyde

Dear Friends,

I don't even know where to begin, my heart is breaking.

Earl was doing so well. Our onc. called Friday afternoon after getting the written results of Earl's last CT scan. It has spread to his liver, multiple tumors.

Dr. says it is untreatable. Said Earl had the taxotere this summer so it looks like he is chemo resistant. And he feels more chemo would be toxic. Also said that RFA is only for 1 tumor and is not curative either. Is recommending Iressa. He says this will not extend his life. So what does it do? The web sight doesn't say either.

Earl's mantra right now - we will live our normal lives. I have just asked our dr. for an anxiety med since I am one eyelash away from tears all the time.

We meet with the onc on thursday. Our two daughters are going with us, thank God.

Any prayers and information would be sincerely appreciated.

I have told the onc. that we do not want time limits. Let there be some room for hope.

Hi Ginnyde,

Sorry to hear about the news. Earl's mantra right now - we will live our normal lives is staying positive and up beat. I would go with the Iressa and keep up the great fight. Take one day at a time, take one step at a time. You never know what the Iressa might do and never ever give up hope. I hope this helps. Take care and God Bless.

Rich

PS: Click on the websites below for more info on Iressa.

http://www.cancerbacup.org.uk/info/iressa.htm

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/i ... efault.htm

http://www.drugs.com/index.cfm?pageID=0 ... e=internet

http://www.nci.nih.gov/clinicaltrials/d ... ents/page9

Prayer for Healing

Lord, You invite all who are burdened to come to You. Allow your healing hand to heal Earl. Touch his soul with Your compassion for others. Touch his heart with Your courage and infinite love for all. Touch his mind with Your wisdom, that his mouth may always proclaim Your praise. Teach him to reach out to You in his need, and help him to lead others to You by his example. Most loving Heart of Jesus, bring him health in body and spirit that he may serve You with all his strength. Touch gently his life which You have created, now and forever. Amen.

Ginny...My thoughts and prayers are with you and Earl. May God bless you and your family during time. Life is so fragile and so precious. Living each day to the fullest is hard to do, but so important. It is so hard to be the strong one when your heart is breaking.

Take care and you both will be in my prayers.

Bonnie and Howard

Ginny, I am so saddened to hear of your most recent setback. Believe in Miracles and don't give up hope. Earl sounds like a very strong and brave man. I'm looking into clinical trials. My thoughts are that if there isn't anything curative then maybe there is a trial that is. My prayers are with you.

Ginney,

I have to disagree that RFA on the liver is limited to those who have only one tumor. Please check into this more thoroughly. I have personally known 3 people who had RFA on Liver tumors up to 6 in number. Two lived in Texas, and one lived in New Jersey. I do know there is a limit to the number of tumors, but one is surely not it.

I am so very sorry, Dear One, that you all must face yet another battle.

Wishing only the best of all outcomes for your Sweetheart and all who love him.

Fay A.

Ginny,

I am sorry to hear about this latest set-back. As we all know there are too many ups and downs with this horrible disease. I am sending prayers that this is a temporary down and that something will happen to return you both to a high point.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts!

Dear Ginny,

I cant believe this. Prayers being said for you and Earl. Maybe you should get a second opinion about the rfa. I am not 100% positive but it seems like I remember seeing a short video about rfa on this website. I think it may have come from Donna. My memory escapes me these days so I hope I have this info right.

Ohhh Ginny, so very sorry for you and Earl, You and Earl will be in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be praying for the Iressa to do it's miracle on Earl.

God bless you both

Bobmc- NSCLC-stage IIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Ginny,

I am assuming that his liver was checked before now and nothing ever showed up? You know why I am saying this because of Buddy's case where it was cysts all along and not cancer...ask to read that report for your own knowledge. I will never again let any doctor tell me anything without reading the report...

I sure will pray hard for Earl tonight. One day we fly high and the next we are shot down. How we keep going is beyond me....Give Earl a hug from me. Hugs are so comforting. Love

Ginny,

I am truly sorry to hear about "The Duke" How are you holding up? I love Earl's mantra to "live life as normal." I will try hard to do just that myself as long as I can. Tell Earl thanks for the advice. I do hope you guys get another opinion on treatment!

Cheryl

Ginny,

I am so sorry to hear what you guys are going through. No words of wisdom here but I have to agree...2nd opinion always sounds good to me!

Sending good wishes your way...

Debi

47 years old

stage 1a-nsclc

Surgery June 16, 2003-mid & upper lobe removed

Dear Ginny,

I am so sorry to hear the latest news on Earl. I agree with the others that I read RFA has been used on multiple tumors - but again I don't know the specifics.

I do know some people who have had wonderful results with Iressa. Here is a message from Beverly who has been on Iressa with success for quite some time:

"This is an invitation to all of you who are using Iressa or are interested in the results of using it. You are invited to join a new list - IressaUsers@Yahoogroups.com. Many of you have indicated a desire to share information and you will be able to do this without reservation. Please use the following to become a member of this list: IressaUsers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Everyone is welcome." Beverly

Prayers and blessings for the two of you,

Peg

Ginny,

I am so sorry to hear of this setback....You are in my daily prayers...

This disease is a true monster..

Remember that Dr.Cohen considers the quality of life of those living with cancer very highly.

Take care and keep the faith,

Love

Laura

:(

So sorry to hear your news. One foot in front of the other, one step at a time. All anyone has is today.

My oncologist is at Pennsylvania Hospital, 8th & Spruce. Dr. Bernie Mason. I saw him twice for 2nd opinions before he became my permanent onc.

Hugs, hugs, hugs

gail

To my cyber support system

Thank you all for your prayers, support and advise. We have the actual meeting with the onc tomorrow and he will review the scans for the first time. They have been on the back seat of my car since last friday.

Even my pcp said he thought you could do RFA on up to 4 tumors.

Our two daughters are going with us tomorrow. I think the more ears will be able to hear what the dr is saying. I have lots of questions.

Earl's attitude is amazing. When I told him that last night, he said what is the use of living if you can't be happy. He read the info on Iressa I printed from their web site, he said it looked like good news. I had read it and thought it looked like confusing news.

I will let you know what happens tomorrow. Thank you again for your support, while I have a wonderful family and friends support network, you guys are right there with us and talking to you is soooooooooo important.