Fatigue and appetite loss during chemo

Shelley (MLC)

Hi again....Mom had her first treatment with carbo/Gemzar last tuesday. She did well until about 24 hours after receiving it. At that point she became extremely fatigued and had absolutely no energy to get dressed or even walk from one room to another. She had been fairly active before chemo. Also, she said she had no real desire to eat...she just wasn't hungry. Now she was NOT nauseated, just felt full. So PITA daughter that I am, I told her that as long as she wasn't actually throwing up, she needed to force herself to eat. I had read somewhere that people that lose more weight during chemo don't do nearly as well as those who maintain, or only lose a little. The energy levels and appetite picked up over the next few days and by Friday afternoon (4 days after her chemo) she was eating better and doing errands. So, I guess my questions are:

1) should I be that concerned about forcing her to eat on the 3 or 4 days after chemo (again, she was not nauseated, just felt "full")

2) does the loss of appetite and fatigue chnge over the course of her treatment? Currently she in on 3 week cycles of Carbo/Gemzar. This week she gets Gemzar only and then the 3rd week off....you know how it works!

Mom has never been a "big" eater. I, on the other hand have NO problem eating when I'm not hungry, so I'm having trouble understanding why she can't force herself to eat when it's so important to her. Can someone please help me understand? Thanks again!!! Shelley

Never force eating for any reason at all. Let her know to eat when she is hungry not the traditional way of # meals a day. eat what you want when you want. The fatigue is part of the new normal. The body has to adjust to this new protocol of Medicine. Sleep when you want. The body adjusts to the chemo over time as you ahve seen already. Keep lots of snacks on hand that mom enjoys eating.

My husband has done a fair job of eating throughout his treatments so far even forcing himself to eat to maintain his weight. His appetite has been nil, nada nothing for the last 3 weeks and he is losing weight. Today I came up with a milkshake that he thinks he will be able to tolerate. Carnation Instant Breakfast. One pkg blended with half & half (the kind you put in coffee)instead of regular milk and a couple of scoops of ice cream. You can also add cut up fruit for added flavor. Into the blender it all goes for an instant milk shake. Good Luck & God Bless

wendy

Eating is a constant battle in our household,

Alan is currently going through radiation and like your mom, has no desire to eat.

Alan has lost about 10 pounds in the past couple of

weeks and with only 2 radiation treatments left, hoping his appettite returns. I have finger foods

for him, so it takes no real effort on his part to pick something up and eat it.

this seems to help.

I weighed in at 101 upon diagnosis and at the insistence of my Oncologist ended treatment at 125. I do not think anyone should be forced to eat. I would just keep foods that she might choose to snack on close to where ever she spends the most time. There were times during my treatment that I only drank malts because living alone they were easy to make and easy to drink. I used Ensure, which I did not like, but I doctored it up with malt powder, vanilla, chocolate syrup, vanilla bean ice cream and sometimes would add a little carmel sauce to the blender. I think the malt powder over rode the Ensure flavor that I did not like. :lol:

I too have had my first chemo, and by the third day had no energy at all even found it hard to walk to the bathroom but it got better the next day. As for eating, no desire to eat when I did it was a cracker only so I could take my medicine, I lost 6 lbs the first week, 2nd chemo this past Friday had a reaction to one of the drugs and couldnt complete it. Just make sure she drinks.

My appitite has not changed since chemo. Everything for me taste like cardboard, I don't care what it is. Like others have said make sure she has easy snacks. I eat chicken noodle soup after chemo with crackers. My taste usually comes back after a week. I also drink a Boost daily they were better to me than Ensure. I am glad your mom is doing better know.

Thanks so much for all the nutrition advice. Mom was doing so much better today, but she tells me that things she enjoyed eating before chemo (like ice cream) don't appeal to her at all now. It sounds like that is pretty normal. I think I was more worried because she's starting off pretty thin. She doesn't really have any weight to lose to begin with. I'll make sure she has the small easy snacks handy. Hopefully she'll do a little better this week. Thanks again! Shelley

Cardboard! --- That is what Tony says too Heather. :D

I think it depends on the patient's wishes. They do need to have the knowledge that eating is paramount in their struggle. Tony has a constant battle with the weight and had lost a lot before diagnosis. He eats regardless of whether he feels like it or not because he knows how important maintaining/gaining weight is for him. But -- I've tossed a few cartons of Boost in the garbage because he refused to drink "that crap". :?

Best of luck to you --

Welthy

I routinely tell my patients to concentrate on keeping hydrated after chemo, that eating is a secondary issue. However, I don't like to see my patients lose too much weight during chemo, especially if they start out slender. It's not that I want to force anyone to eat, but patients who maintain weight tend to do better with treatment. However, it may be that the worst cancers force a patient to lose weight, while the less aggressive ones don't.

One option to maintain or improve weight is megestrol acetate, or megace. The dose I use is 800 mg as a concentrated elixer every morning, or a different "extra strength" formulation that is dosed at 625 mg every morning. I've had quite a few patients who have been impressed by how much their appetite improves and their weight increases on megace, although it doesn't work for everyone (and some complain about the taste, especially of the extra strength formulation, although I've had more consistent success in appetite stimulation with the ES).

And as you've been hearing, taste changes are very common on chemo. Foruntately reversible, but it can take a while after chemo ends.[/i]