mom was diagnosed small cell carcinoma metasis to liver

lullabelle21302

Hi, my name is Rhonda and my mother was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer mestatsis to liver in sept.2006. She started chemo treatments, carbo platin and etopiside. we were told that it was inoperable and that they were giving her quality time and without treatment she wouldnt last 2 months. the doctor also said she couldnt tell mom how long she had cause only GOD knows that and any of us could go out and be killed. She has three days of chemo, the 1st day is 4 hours and the other 2 are 2 hours. After her second round of treatment they did more scans and said that her tumor markings had went from 400 to 4 and the tumor on her lung had shrunk and that the ones on her lymph nodes were almost gone and the ones in her liver had shrunk. she went through 4 more rounds of treatment and the 2nd to last one was real tough on her. She went to the doctor today and we were told that the tumor in her lung had decreased in size and the lymph nodes were clear and the ones in her liver have also shrunk, they were still there but had shrunk so she they scheduled her for two more rounds of chemo since the cancer has been responding well. we were also told that by another doctor (she treats mom for her diabetes etc.) that if the tumors in her liver shrink enough there will be enough healthy tissue for it to rejuvenate itself. My mom says it is not her time to go, she is not ready to go yet. She lives with me and I see her fighting this everyday and she is so tired but still determined to beat this. I have read alot about this and I get so many different things and stories, which donot coincide with the other. So I guess what I am looking for is someone to tell me that things are going to be ok. I know the survival rate isnt good for this type of cancer but I have also read a few survival stories. If anyone has any info about this or personal stories or anything that they could share with me. Thanks so much for reading this.

Welcome Rhonda,

I am so sorry you have to go through this with your mother. Cancer is such a booger. I wish so much none of us had to go through this. There are stories of hope, peace, and support here. Please, let us be there for you. Keep us posted.

God bless,

Jen

thanks so much for all the support. even though i know i am not in this alone (my family are here to support) but my mother lives with me and i see her everyday and i am with her at all her dr appt. and her chemo treatments. i by no means know what she is going through but it feels like i do know except i dont have cancer and i dont know how she feels(hope that makes sense). i have told her i am fighting this with her but i feel so helpless at times. i know that none of us want to lose our loved ones and i pray everynight that the Lord gives me one more day with her. it is the scariest feeling thinking of losing her. which i am sure all of you know about. i know that this type of cancer is aggressive and the survival rate is not good at all. but i keep telling myself that mom will be the exception she will beat this. i have read so many stories of hope and courage on here and i realize that hey she can beat this. so many of you have either had or know someone who has had this type and they are still survivors. the one thing that is on our side is that it hasnt spread anywhere else except her liver. she told me today that is wasnt the news she had hoped for she, hoped it would be gone, but i told her it was good news all the same because we know that it is shrinking and they didnt tell us it had spread anywhere else, which is excellent news. and i dont really think (not 100%sure) but i dont think her onc would put her through more treatment if she didnt think that it would shrink or possibly get the rest of the tumors in her liver. i will be praying for all of you as well. and thanks so much. i am glad i found this site, just wish i had found it sooner.

Hi Rhonda,

I am sorry that you have to go through this. There is no doubt that it is scary to think of losing your mother. While my Mom was battling cancer I wish that I would have read the book titled "Guide For Cancer Supporters" by Annette & Richard Block. This book helps to understand what cancer patients are feeling and how you can be there to support them. Best of luck to you and your Mom. It sounds like everything is going along well. And your doctor is right, they cannot predict anything. Only God knows when it will be your time. My best advice to you and your Mom is to keep a positive attitude and never give up hope.

~Mindy

Hi Rhonda,

Welcome! You will find much support and hope on this board. Your mom is lucky to have you right by her side as she fights this beast. She will need your cheering when she is down and comfort and care when she is not feeling well. I hope she beats this. It sounds like she is responding well to treatment.

Mendy

Hi Rhonda,

I would like to say welcome and also sorry that you

need us. At the end of this post you will read my

husband's profile and see how he has fought the beast

for over 2 years now. Alan was diagnosed with SCLC

on Jan 10th 2005 and although he has had some rough

times, he has enjoyed a very good quality of life.

Alan and I get by a day at a time, thankful for each

new memory.

We are here when you need us. Alan and I will keep

you and your mom in our prayers.

Hi Rhonda,

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis. She's fortunate to be living with you and to have your practical and emotional support.

There is hope and you will certainly find a lot of it here. Connie B has told of us of several long-term sclc survivors in her in-person lung cancer support group. One survivor of 16 years! That's the statistic my husband and I hold onto.

If you can help your mom see the reasons for hope, you'll do a lot for her.

Hello! I still continue to read so many positives things on here. And I thank all of you for your support. Mom finished her round of chemo and she is doing great. we are going on a trip to savannah ga., this weekend, my cousin arranged it because my mom loves paula deen so what better place to take her to. she has not done anything but go to the doctors and chemo treatments since she was diagnosed in sept. 2006. I am welcoming this trip. The only part I am not liking is I have not been away from my daughter for that length of time. we went for mom's blood work on monday and that came back excellent. my daughter gave the nurse that came and told us she was fine a toy she had just got and we asked her why and she said because that nurse said ma was ok. she is just the sweetest kind hearted little girl. I look at my mom and I dont see her as being sick. My dad had cancer almost 4 years ago and he looked so bad. and my mom looks completely fine except for her hair loss. we are hoping that these next two round of chemo will get the tumors in her liver. I have had such a positive outlook on things since coming to this site, all of the survivors, it is just amazing. I was really going by statics and all the bad stuff you read about extensive stage sclc and it was really a bummer to read. Funny when you read that stuff you dont hear about the survivors all you read is that the longest they have to live is about 2 years and that is only like 5%. You all have given me back courage and hope and determination to help her fight this and I thank each of you very much for doing that for me. All of you and your families are in my prayers

Statics are only numbers and I don't believe in them, everyone is different. Sounds like good news for your mom and she should feel good about things but I know how hard it is at times be confident that little devil :twisted::evil: creeps in all of our minds at some point of the day. But she is very lucky to have you in her corner. Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Well we went on our trip to Savannah and it was wonderful. Mom had a really good time. I think she wore herself out she has been tired since we came back. She had to start taking lukein shots and she goes back for blood work today to see if her counts are back up. She starts another round of chemo on tuesday the 27th. Hopefully this is the last one but not sure until they do the scans again and see if it is gone from her liver. Mom says she sees how people give up and she is not sure if she will do another treatment or not. But I think she will cause she is a fighter and she says she is not giving up. She will do what it takes. I do have a question. This last one will be her 8th round of chemo and if this hasnt gotten them all out of her liver can they give her more chemo or what are the other options. Her onc did tell us that if the tumors get bigger she will stop treatment. I am just hoping that like the other spots the ones on her liver have shrunk as well. I try not to be scared and part of me isnt but the child in me is scared to pieces. I know statics are only a number and that and this web site holds me together. So thank you to all. I guess I am looking for the unkown and that is for someone to tell me that this is all a dream and my mother is going to live for a very long time. Thanks for reading this and any and all info will be greatly appreciated. GOD Bless you all

Hi Rhonda-I'm sorry I missed this post.

If you read my Mom's timeline below you will see she also was diagnosed in Sept/06 with ext Small Cell and is responding very well with treatment. So much so that they are now going to give her 2 x's a day radiation to try and shrink it all.

Let me know if there is anything I can answer for you about Small Cell. I have read everything I can get my hands on. Tell your Mom Cindy RN also had Ext Small Cell and I believe she is going on 5 or 6 years NED. My Mom didn't get a full response after 6 rounds but it shrunk almost 90%. Her tumor was so big they later told us it took up almost her whole lung. They originally said 9x8cm which was big enough! I know how scary it is. When my Mom was diagnosed I moved her in with me for 2 months and then she got to the point where she was almost as good as before she got sick and went home (she lives 2 blocks from me). My Mom is doing extremely well and we get a PET Scan this week to make sure it isn't lurking anywhere else before we start the 2 x's a day radiation. Keep me posted on your Mom.

Dar

Thank you so much. Nothing about this is easy but it does wonders when you can talk and get info from someone who truly has been there. We went to her onc today and they are going to run more tests the middle of april, she wants to wait a few weeks after this last treatment(starts tomorrow). She did tell us that the goal is to get rid of the tumors in her liver and since she is responding so well to chemo and is doing so well with it, if need be they can do more treatments. She also told us that her tumor markings went from 401 (the highest) to 6.8 which is really good. Mom says that she just doesnt know if she can go through another round of chemo if the tumors in her liver arent gone. So I tell her about everyone on her and even though statistically the numbers arent what we wouldnt like them to be with sclc there are still survivors and I think that builds her spirits. This site has truly been heaven sent because the other stuff I had been reading well was just crap and stuff I didnt want to hear. Anyways I will keep everyone posted and thanks so much to all of you. God Bless