Found a nodule

isully

I guess maybe I might be overreacting, but here it is. I am a 35 year old smoker. I have been smoking since I was 15 years old( apack a day). Last year June 2006 I had a x-ray done for a infection in my lungs and it came back clear. My doctor then had me get another x-ray back in November 2006, she said I had a few spots but nothing that she was concerned with. I was in Florida Feb. 2007 for a week and coughed all the time. I thought that it was just "my smokers cough" :roll: I came back and week before last I had a terrible head cold. I would lay down and cough and cough and cough. I finally got the sore throat and heartburn outta control. I take nexium and have been for almost 6 months. I went to my doctor last week and she had put me on the z pak, antibiotic, and sent me for a chest x-ray. I got a phone call a day later and my docs nurse said that I needed to get a CT Scan done because the had found a nodule in my left upper lobe. She was concerned because previous x-ray last year was ok. I had a CT Scan done on Thursday last week, still no answer as to the results. It is still being reviewed. I am a little scared because I have no idea what a nodule is and when I look it up on the internet all I see is Lung Cancer. That is really scary! I am going to quit smoking. I just feel sick and tired all the time. I have lost a few pounds lately. My teeth are cracking and I am nausious alot. I also have left chest pain and sometimes I get the tingles in my arm. I am worried what should I expect now? Shall I get a second opinion from a better hospital? Our hospital is small and the doctors are not always the best.

I guess I am a scared person right now, but I do not want to read to much into it......I read alot of the posts and I pray for all that are sick and for those in remission...you guys are great and strong.

Good Morning, and welcome to "Nodule Watch"... :roll: Yes, it is scary, but we'll help you get thru it. I'm on watch, too, as you'll see in my profile. First of all - deep breath. Okay, better? LOTS of nodules are from causes OTHER than cancer. In fact, current studies from Mayo show that as many as 97% of nodules SMALLER than 1cm are benign!! They can result from infections, (like what you experienced last year) inflammation, scarring, and even auto-immune disorders. Has your doc mentioned the size? Presence of calcification, or edge/shape characteristics? (I guess not...when I re-read your post, I see you are still awaiting results... :? Sorry...) Many of these factors will help your docs determine what this is.

One thing nodules are is a wake-up call, huh? After MANY failed attempts at quitting smoking (I started at 12, and smoked 1 - 1 1/2 packs 'til I was 39.. :roll: ) my nodules freaked me out enough to finally quit. 8)

When is your follow-up? The waiting makes me truly crazy - you may want to call your doctor's office, or the radiology canter where you had your scan and ask if you can pick up the report. Then, at least you'll know somewhat where things stand. I will be praying that the li'l booger just disappeared - POOF!! :wink: It does happen - people go in for a follow-up CT, and voila! Nodule is GONE!! Or, shrinking. Sending LOTS of positive thoughts for good results. Hang in there. You'll be fine! And if you need nodule info...let me know. I have TONS!! :roll:

Yours in HOPE!! (& Watch)

Stacey

Nodules can be almost any thing and a lot of the times they are not cancer. You will not know for sure till you get the results of the CT scan and even then they will most likely do a PET scan and biopsy before they can say for sure. Getting a second opinion from a major cancer center like Sloan Kettering or M. D. Anderson in Houston is always recommended. To stop smoking is good regardless which I am sure you have heard more than you like to hear. I quit when I was about your age. Try not to worry, because stress is never good for your health. A verse that I like is: MATHEW 6:27

“Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” This really makes sense to me.

Stay positive :)

Ernie

Dazy gives excellent advice as well as being our resident nodule expert :wink: ! My huband is on nodule watch too. It has been almost 2 years and he's had no change in any of his f/u scans. He may actually chime in later.

So, as Dazy said, take some deep breaths and wait to hear what the doc says. As for another opinion............I am a BIG proponent of getting more than one opinion. Close by would be Johns Hopkins in MD, FoxChase in Phila., U. of Penn. in Phila. too. Not sure how far the U. of Pittsburgh would be for you.

Keep us in the loop......we are all supporters of each other here.

Kasey

I know how scared you must be. But stop reading the internet. Nodules are very common and they just have to be watched that they don't increase in size.

Most likely after you have your CT and if the nodule is small, they will watch it for another 3 months then repeat the test again.

Please try not to worry as there are so many people on here who are on Nodule watch and have been a very long time with no growth.

Keep us posted and please know that we are here for you.

Maryanne :wink:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm My nodule noted on cat scan 1/25/07 in ER and revisted 2/10/07 in PET scan is getting avist this week to a throacic surgeon, as I was told it had SUV uptake..Hmmmmmm makes me wonder if its possible ( since I feel fine now) that he stupid little bugger just went away?? wishful thinking onmy part . They have my surgery scheduled for MArch 13th.Maybe I should request another scan just to be sure its still there ???

I don't think all doctors will just wait and watch.I am a non smoker.But apparently a PET scan with uptake is a big deal? Good luck!

Hi 2weimies!

Ya know...I'm not positive, but I think they usually do a CT immediately prior to, (and/or during...?) any biopsy procedure - for localization of the nodules. Not sure, but someone here can probably shed some light on that. Or, maybe you could ask your doc on Sat. PET can light up for other reasons, too. I've read of others who have undergone biopsy of an "active" nodule - and been pleasantly surprised after surgery, to discover it was benign! I continue to hope & pray that is the case with you. We can ALWAYS hope for a "houdini" nodule, too, huh? Can't hurt to hope! :wink:

Hugs & BEST of luck at your appointment!

Yours in HOPE!

Stacey