Need a little feedback, guys

Debaroo

Hey guys. I havn't been around much lately. Dad had to have a port inserted on Friday, which knocked the He** out of him. He finished with Radiation the friday before-now for my question.

The radiation/onc. said that it may be 2-3 weeks AFTER RADIATION IS FINISHED before Daddy's pain is gone...assuming the radiation worked (please, God, let it work). He is still in pain, it will be two weeks on Friday since his last session. We thought that he was feeling some relief earlier on, when we went upstate, but it seems to not be much better. If anyone out there could give me some idea as to how the radiation thing works, I'd sure appreciate it. Dad is getting discouraged, again. He just wants his back to feel better. He really wants to get back on his feet, and feels that once the pain is gone, he'll feel so much better.

I just feel so useless. When we visit, Dad stays in the 'little room', on his recliner, or on the living room couch. He is always glad to see the kids (we go a few times a week), and they absolutly adore him...but he is tired and either is sleeping on the couch or he is resting and watching tv, with the door closed. My daughters will peek in on him, especially the younger one-Julia-Julia goes in the room over and over to 'check in on Poppy' and tell her that she loves him.

So, if anyone can give me some insight as to whether it may really take longer to feel relief from radiation, I'd appreciate it. I trust you all so much more than the doctors-because you speak from experience-and I really respect you all so much. I just feel like the doctors can give you a bit of an idea of what to expect, but it is better to get the information from someone whos 'been there/done that' or has had a loved one that has.

Thank you all in advance for your help. And for being here. I know I havn't been around much, but you all are in my thoughts and prayers all of the time. Take care, guys. Deb

Hi Debaroo, I would suggest you ask the doctor about the Strontium 89 injection. I have mentioned it before on this board, but have had no comments on it as yet. Have any of the rest of you had any experience with the Strontium? Best of luck and I'm saying a prayer for your dad. Being in pain is sure no fun !!!!!!! God Bless, Mary

Hi Deb,

The most horrible part of my mom's battle so far has been from the pain of bone mets.

She had radiation back in May, and was on about 100 mg of oxy a day during it. About three weeks after the end of radiation, she was completely off pain meds all together. That lasted about three months. Now the pain is back and she is having more radiation.

So, keep the faith. It worked for us, and Zometa was helpful.

Stronium 89 is an injection that can cause low blood levels and more systemic side effects than radiation. Its looked at as more of a last ditch option.

Good luck...I will be praying for Dad...

Love

Laura

I certainly wasn't told the strontium was a "last ditch effort". I just know that it worked GREAT for me. As a matter of fact, I was back to work within three days, after being unable to get out of bed. Yes, they did check my blood count weekly, but I had absolutely no problems, unlike the chemo that I am now on. I realize that everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another, but when you're in such terrible pain, as I was, most anything is worth a try in my opinion. It sure wouldn't hurt to ask the doctor about.. God Bless, Mary

Mary, Don and Laura, thank you so much for the support, and for the information.

My dad has been getting Zomita to help strengthen his bones-I think he gets it once every 2 weeks. I will certainly ask the Onc. about the Strontium 89-I've never heard of it before, thank you for the input. It really helps so much to get information from other peoples experiences, otherwise we might never know about these other options that are out there-which is not a good thing. Information is so important when you are dealing with something like lung cancer. I thank you all for your input and insight. I'll let you know how it goes. Take care, Deb

Deb,

I agree with Don, sounds like your Dad may need better pain management. Pain has no purpose and can cause side effects in and of itself. If he wasn't in pain he would probably come out of *the little room* more often. I had my last radiation treatment on June 19 and discovered I was not having any pain (back, shoulder, arm, neck, face), when I forgot to change my patch about a month later. I used Duragesic Patches 200mcg for my pain, it allowed me to function normally around the house. I couldn't drive, but I could go places with other people.

Sending out positive thoughts for you all!

Looks like it will likely help alot of people with pain (50%). The drug is a radioisotope that mimics calcium so the radiation goes to the bone mets. It appears have less affect on blood counts than other types of treatments

I read it is expensive ($2000) or more per treatment. Maybe the cost is why it is not widely used

Strontium-89 chloride in the palliation of bone pain from metastatic cancer (Meeting abstract).

Author(s): MJ Katin, DE Dosoretz, PH Blitzer, JH Rubenstein, JF Spiegel, SA Salenius, PA Floody

Abstract: We report on the results of treatment with strontium-89 chloride (89Sr) for the relief of bone pain from metastatic cancer in 229 patients (307 injections). Patients were treated according to a protocol from 1988 until June 1993, when the drug was FDA approved, then off protocol until the present time. Seventy-six percent had metastatic prostate cancer, 14% breast cancer, and 11% other types of cancer. Patients were treated initially with 40 uCi/kg (n=217), then beginning in October 1993, the dose was increased to 50 uCi/kg (n=90). Patients completed a weekly questionnaire documenting the severity and sites of pain. Of all patients, 67% responded to treatment, 2% had no change in their pain scores, and 32% progressed with worsening pain. Thirteen percent had complete pain relief. Prostate cancer patients had the best pain relief with 69% responding, compared to 64% of breast cancer patients and 50% of other patients. Patients treated with 50 uCi/kg had better pain relief than those at the lower dose (76% vs 60% responders, p=0.06). The best results were obtained in prostate cancer patients treated at 50 uCi/kg, of whom 83% responded, compared to 61% at the lower dose (p=0.035). An analysis of the blood work revealed a mean drop at 12 wk in the white blood count (WBC) of 16%, of the hemoglobin (HGB) 8%, and the platelets 26%. The dose of 89Sr did not significantly affect the WBC or HGB, but the platelet count decreased more in the higher dose group (p=0.07). We conclude that strontium-89 chloride is a safe and effective agent for the palliation of pain from cancer metastatic to bone.

Katie, and Candee-thank you for the supportive words...And John, thank you so much for the information-it was above and beyond-I really appreciate all of the time you took to relay the information that you have.

You guys are all so amazing, the fact that you take the time to share information and support the way that you do-thats why I love it here. I just wanted you all to know how much it is appreciated. You're the best. Take care, and I go with Dad to the onc. tomorrow, so I'll let y'all know what happens. Thank you for EVERYTHING! Deb