I never would have thought

KatieB

That some people would act the way they act after a death in the family.

I realize that people handle grief differently and I am empathetic to that.

But some things are outright mean, or disrespectful, or blatant lies and I can't believe that these are the same people who before my mom died, were "loved" and trusted by her and by me.

4 of my mothers oldest friend did not attend her funeral. 3 called later to say they were "conveniently" out of town and "didn't know".One person who is known to borrow money from my mom, called to say she was having "surgery"- that day, but is now miraculously better.

I checked my account this morning to find that one person stole $2500 from me by forging a check.

Just needed to vent. I know that so many others know exactly what I'm talking about.

Hugs,

Unbelievable, Katie :twisted: . What do you think is up with these 'friends' :roll: ? One of THEM took the money!?!?!? That is unbelievable as well. I am sorry there are issues like these on top of everything else you have on your plate.....taking care of your family, your grief, all that needs to be done as far as paperwork for your mom, taking care of all of us!!!! Wish you could just take a step back and have some breathing room. And I sure hope that $2500 turns up and you find out who 'borrowed' it :x !!!!

L&T,

Kasey

Death of a loved one seems to bring out the worst of the worst at times. :roll: That's why they say,

"They come out of the woodwork!" :roll: Oh how true that is! :roll: It's shocking when people show their true colors. :shock: Just when you THINK you have things figured out, BANG something comes along and knocks you back 10 steps.

Just sending you my love. ((((KATIE))))

Katie,

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I do know what it is to have people disappoint you. I remember Mike had friends and our civic league calling him all the time before he became ill . They always referred to him as their friend until they found out he was ill. They never called again to even see how he was. I mean he was on the board of directors of our civic league and when he could no longer be of service, it was "out of sight is out of mind". I hate to say it , but they hurt him and I won't join our civic league until that bunch leaves. I agree with Val, sometimes "people suck". I just can't imagine someone actually taking money from you, though , how awful. Again, I'm so sorry. :(

Love,

Sue

I love my dog.

When I'm feeling down, she cuddles with me. When I feel good, she's ready to play. She's happy to see me when I get home, if I bring home a toy or a treat for her, she's over the moon. She always knows the right thing to "say" to make me feel better - or at least to not feel worse. She's around to say, "it really doesn't matter, I still love you - you're my hero".

If you're feeling down, Katie, just snuggle with your pups and kiddos and tune out the rest of the world...and for the person who would forge a check, file a police report. So wrong, so very wrong...

Hang in there, I'm hoping things get better and you are able to refresh your belief in the human spirit. Me, I'm studying to be a cynic.... :roll:

xxoo,

Becky

It never ceases to amaze me what some people will do-- death, no death-- just how many ways people can find to scam something or be cruel. Please tell me you are going to file something on the check--this person deserves to have charges filed against them. Have you contacted the bank to see how this was done illegally? Banks have a fraud department and will follow up on it for you. I am sorry for what you're dealing with.

Oh my Katie, I could have written this...It's amazing to me at how people react to illness and death. OK I realize everyone is human and we all do things differently, but, sometimes it is just too extreme. My own brother and my only sibling is one of the family members that just kept on taking....he left before my mom's celebration and we haven't heard from him since. I do know exactly how you feel. Hey if you ever need to vent you can shoot me a PM. I always have an ear waiting.

Hugs and prayers

Connie

Thanks for all the support guys.

As for the check- I can't report it. It was done by a "family member" and after talking with my other family members, it just isn't worth it. I have to let it go. Sadly, I have a huge wall up around myself and my heart now...

I guess I am only worth $2500 to this person and it was easy for them to throw my love and trust away for that......

Oh Katie,

How I have walked in your shoes. We had some incredibly horrible things happen when my mother in law passed away. My husbands two sisters turned into two people who completed suprised and disgusted us. She has been gone 5 years, and the ties we had with them, have been severed forever. Again, as you said, they put a price on our heads and when push came to shove, they were willing to give up their two brothers. Very sad indeed.

I can only say to you, what I have said to my husband time and time again, God help them, because they have to live with what they did forever, and forever is a VERY LONG TIME. You on the other hand, can rest your head on your pillow at night with no regrets, peace of mind is priceless.

You know I am here if you need to vent. Love, Sharon

Katie,

My heart is breaking for you. You have been through

so much, care for so many and have been hurt by those

you thought cared for you and your Mom. I am sending

many cyber hugs and only wish I could give you one in

person. I am so sorry for all that has happened.

You don't deserve any of that kind of treatment, Katie. I feel terrible for you. But, hey, you can't control anyone other than yourself, and as long as you can live with the things you do, that's all that matters.

Take care,

Cindy

I hope a tiny bit of consolation can be that you aren't alone in this, it seems most families - including my own - have similar stories to tell.

My Dad always quipped when there had been a death in the family that "the vultures are circling" and unfortunately I think he was right way too often.

Take care,

Geri

((Oh Katie)) -- this is really disgusting behavior. So sorry that you have to deal with all of this on top of your grief. Your heart is already in pain, there is no rational reason for someone adding to your pain. So very sorry.

I hope these people don't sleep very well at night for what they have done -- problem is, people like this never give it a second thought. Hold your head high and know in your heart that you never lowered yourself to their level.

Welthy

Oh Katie, I'm so sorry you are going through all this CRAP. It just adds to the pain of loss.

My mom's best friend for 45 years (and my Godmother) did not attend her burial (it was two weeks after the funeral). She said the guy was coming to fix her shed - she'd finally gotten in touch with him. My siblings and I were dumbfounded, we actually tried to joke about it b/c it was so unreal and painful. My mother carted her around for years b/c she didn't drive and ferried her and her relatives back and forth from the airport (she's British). She was such a good friend to her..

I was amazed at how people behaved when my mom died. You are not alone, although I know that is cold comfort. It just sucks, plain and simple.

Hang in there, I cannot imagine what you are going through...HUGS.

Katie,

i just simply want to reiterate the rest of the group....sometimes people suck. Another very important point is that YOU DO NOT and cannot control other people and their actions. your 'turning the other cheek' b/c this is a family membe is just another testimony to the values your family instilled in you. Try your best to rise above and walk away with dignity and honor that you have and do not lower yourself for $2,500 or $2500000 - it just would never touch the values and honor you have been instilled with as a wonderful gift from your parents. Be PROUD - what a wonderful legacy!

heather