how many rounds of chemo needed?

Susan_Xu

My dad had six rounds of chemo(taxol) and is doing fine. The tumor is under control. His oncologist told us that my dad needs two more rounds of chemo and then chemo every three months.

Anyone has any advice on what the next step would be after six rounds of chemo?

Thanks.

Dr. West has a good number of items on first- and second-line chemotherapy for NSCLC. Here's one:

http://onctalk.com/2007/01/17/duration- ... ng-cancer/

You might want to post a question for him on onctalk.com -- give as many specifics as you can, including the cell type if you know it (adenocarcinoma, etc.) He answers very promptly.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Susan,

I don’t believe there is any set number of rounds of chemo. There are many variables and treatment is determined by your doctors depending on results. I still take Tarceva which is a form of chemo. I am not sure when and if they will discontinue it. If shrinkage continues that’s great.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

From my knowledge, the next step varies case by case. Some people go on Tarceva for maintence, some get radiation after chemo, others do nothing and monitor progress.

My mom had chemo, s urgery, radiation, then nothing b/c for her the risks of Tarceva outweighed the benefits (she did not react well to it, she was on it briefly).

My dad had surgery and now they are waiting for growth before Tarceva.

Keep us posted

A little background on EndoStatin

A Cancer Drug's Star Rises

Endostatin Update, November, 2005

The cancer-fighting drug endostatin, discovered in the Children's Hospital Boston laboratory of Judah Folkman, MD, has traveled a long and rocky road to clinical development. And only recently, it seemed that the end of the road was near: In 2003, endostatin's sole U.S. manufacturer, EntreMed, Inc., announced that it would stop making the drug, citing financial reasons, and clinical trials were cut short.

But two recent developments have unexpectedly changed endostatin's fortunes. On September 12, the government of China approved a modified version of endostatin for patients with non-small-cell lung cancer, after a Phase III trial in nearly 500 patients found that it delayed disease progression when added to chemotherapy.

Crystal structure of endostatin. The area shaded in orange represents endostatin's hP1 peptide -- the section of endostatin that has the antitumor properties of the full compound.

And in May, Kashi Javaherian, PhD, and Robert Tjin Tham Sjin, PhD, from Folkman's Vascular Biology lab reported that a small portion of the endostatin molecule -- a peptide with 27 amino acids -- has all the antitumor activity of the full compound, with the benefit of being much easier and cheaper to manufacture.

Endostatin, a protein made naturally by the body, was first reported in 1997 to dramatically shrink tumors in mice by blocking angiogenesis, or blood-vessel formation, thereby starving tumors of their blood supply. In 1998, a front-page New York Times story touted this discovery and quoted Nobel Laureate James Watson as predicting that Folkman "will cure cancer within two years." Media outlets around the world picked up the story, and EntreMed's stock surged in value.

The intense publicity created unrealistic expectations about endostatin, still early in development, and caused a backlash against the drug. Endostatin also proved expensive to manufacture, and with EntreMed's pullout from the market, production ceased in the U.S. Supplies in this country are now virtually exhausted.

But in the meantime, endostatin was tested in about 160 cancer patients. In several patients with advanced cancers who had failed all other therapies, it has led to long-term disease stabilization and greatly improved quality of life.

In addition, unlike chemotherapy drugs, endostatin has virtually no toxicity, because it acts only on the endothelial cells that line blood vessels, without harming other cells. Nor do cancers become resistant to endostatin, a common problem with chemotherapy, because endothelial cells divide slowly, making them unlikely to acquire mutations that confer resistance.

These qualities made endostatin attractive to the Chinese, who have one fifth of the world's new cancer cases. Unbeknownst to Folkman and colleagues, a Chinese research team began studying endostatin soon after its discovery, forming a biopharmaceutal company, Medgenn Ltd., in 1999. Encouraged by the Chinese government, Medgenn modified endostatin to make it easier to manufacture and to last longer in the body, and began large-scale production. The modified drug, called Endostar, will now be tested against other cancers.

"The developments in China represent a very important advance," says Folkman. "Most of the angiogenesis inhibitors currently approved in the U.S., and in 28 other countries, block a single angiogenic factor produced by tumors, such as Avastin's blockage of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). The Chinese have taken the next step, making available a broad-spectrum angiogenesis inhibitor that suppresses blood-vessel growth stimulated by many different types of angiogenic factors."

In the near term, Folkman is hoping to find a way to get Endostar to U.S. patients who were forced to go off endostatin when supplies ran out. But in the longer term, he believes the small peptide -- which Children's is now pursuing for commercial development -- could be a viable substitute for the original.

Related Article

Once-Touted Drug For Cancer Finds New Life in China (Wall Street Journal)

I am confused about how many rounds of chemo too. Andy has had 2 rounds (3 weeks apart for four days) and the Oncologist said that there was not much shrinkage but the results were still "favorable". Now he has him on Taxol 1 day every 3 weeks but he said it was for "maintenance", but isn't it really round 3 of chemo?

I just want to be sure Andy is getting the best treatment available....

My dad is doing good so far with all the chemo and the endostar. He is still strong and energetic. So based on his condition, his doctor wants to do two more rounds of chemo in the next two months. And then he will receive it every three months.

We do not know how Endostar is working on my dad's cancer since he just started the new treatment 2 months ago. But my dad's doctor told me that most of cases Endostar is not working, but if it works, it works very good. I will keep you guys updated.

I have read and wondered and asked and still can not figure it out. However after reading what Dr. West had to say in last nights chat my mind is at ease. I received 35 radiation treatments and chemo of carbo/taxol once a week for six weeks. Surgery was not an option. Since then I have had to PET scans and the term is "stable". I was wondering why my doctor was not giving me something else since other folks are receiving preventative types of treatment. I am sure if a scan ever shows it is no longer "stable" then my oncologist will attack it again. So I guess not receiving a second line of therapy while it is stable just leaves more lines we can choose from should we need them in the future. Boy I hope this makes more sense typed than it does with I type it. LOL :wink:

Judy is right. (I understood you! :D) The way I understand this is the longer you can go without chemo and remain stable, the more you have available in your back pocket for future use.

Every oncologist is different, every patient's course of treatment is different, and based on response. You just need to have complete faith in your oncologist.

Always good to check with Dr. West and ask questions at Onctalk.com to allay any worries.

Best of luck,

Welthy