Chemo working already?

Shelley (MLC)

My mom had a large pluerual effusion and a bad cough when she started chemo. Her oxygen was only at 88% and needed oxygen all the time. About 2 weeks after her first chemo she didn't need oxygen at all and her oxygen level was at 97%! So yes, I believe it can work fast.

[shelley (MLC)] Can the chemo really work this quickly?

Apparently so with some patients. My lung function was considerably improved after the first cycle of taxol/carbo/avastin and again after the second cycle. After the third cycle, further improvement was minimal and side effects began to increase. This seems to be a fairly typical pattern -- somewhere around the fourth to sixth cycle the side effects start to overshadow the benefits and it's time to make a change. Here's an article by Dr. West on this subject:

http://onctalk.com/2007/01/17/duration- ... ng-cancer/

Aloha,

Ned

Shelley,

Glad to hear that the chemo IS working that fast for your Mom. My husband had quick results after a few cycles -- just getting the larger tumor off of his bronchial tube improved his breathing a lot and his bloody cough became clearer mucus. Some people (like my husband) defy the "diminishing returns" effect of chemo and it keeps working long into many cycles of treatment. This has been a blessing for him because his cancer will not stay away and he needs to be on some type of traditional chemo to keep it in check.

Prayers for continued success!

Welthy