Hi everyone--long overdue introduction

yvetten

Hello all:

I joined many months ago but I haven't posted until now, for some reason. I have been reading your posts for months now and I feel as if I know so many of you so well! I almost feel like I have been evesdropping on you all for months :lol:

Well, the reason I joined is, as you can see from my profile, my Dad has stage iv lung cancer. To say the least, what a total shock--never smoker, health nut, did yoga--the last person you would think would get cancer. We think it was environmental/chemical because he was a shoemaker/shoe repairer for many years. It has been such a heartwrenching journey so far, and it is certainly not over yet, I know. My family is so heartbroken. I am an only child and have always been a daddy's little girl. I am just glad my Dad got to walk me down the aisle this past summer.

I can't imagine life without my Dad. I pray for you all daily. We have had some good news but we have a meeting with the ONC on Friday following scans after the last chemo treatment (ended Feb. 9) and are praying for even more good news (maybe liver improvement)??

So, anyway, I am officially introducing myself--hi all! You have already all helped me so much! I especially want to thank Ernie for reaching out to me in the begining (I responded to his story) and giving me so much hope. Ernie, you rock, and by the way, I emailed you a while ago with an update on my Dad. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH--WHAT A WONDERFUL SITE!

Hi Yvette, welcome to this site. As you said, there are so many great people here that are so happy to answer your questions and provide cyber shoulders and ears. I am much calmer now that I have all my new friends that I can count on to help 24/7. My mom also has stage IV cancer (diagnosed a couple months ago) There is so much hope on this site. Shelley

Yvette,

Welcome to the site. I goofed on answering your e-mail. I have now corrected. I am glad you decided to post here. I thank you for the kind words. Helping people like you and your dad really keeps me going strong. Maybe you could get your dad to come on to the site. If your dad does come on to the site, let me know and I will e-mail you some info for him. Keep us posted.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Hi, Yvette, and a "long overdue" :wink: welcome to the LCSC! Taxol and Carboplatin with no side effects except losing hair -- wow, that's fantastic!! Your dad is obviously a very healthy guy, notwithstanding his recent bout with pneumonia.

I didn't see in your message or profile the cell type of your dad's cancer. Since you mentioned Stage IV, I assume it's non-small cell (NSCLC), but do you know the specific cell type such as adenocarcinoma, squamous cell, etc.? That would make a difference when it comes to choosing the next line of treatment. If you could get that info, together with more details on his test reports, what's been said about radiation, and that sort of thing, your might consider posting a question for Dr. West on onctalk.com. There's a good chance you'd have a response by the time of your dad's Friday appointment, which would give you some good background when the next treatment plan comes up for discussion.

My best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Yvette,

Thank you from coming out of the shadows and introducing yourself. Now we can give you support, prayers or you can vent at any time.

I am really sorry for your dad diagnosis. I could only imagine how shocked you all must have been as he is a non-smoker. You do everything right, don't smoke, eat right, exercise but still can be hit by this disease. No one is immune. That is why we desparetly need funding to find a cure or at least early detection.

I am curious to know if there is any LC in your dads family history.

Take care and know we are here for you.

Maryanne :wink:

Thanks all for your responses and expressions of support. It is nice to have a place to vent about issues I know you all can understand.

Ernie: No worries about the delay in responding to my email--it was mostly just to thank you for your help during my start of this ordeal.

NED: My Dad's cancer type was not specified. It is NSCLC but beyond that, the doctor's never told us if it is squamous, BAC, or anything else. From what I have read about BAC, it is probably not BAC since this is a slow spreading cancer that does not usually go to distant organs. I think the reason they never told us the subtype is they did not have enough of a sample from the biopsy. The reason I think this is the case is that we wanted to enter a Tarceva clinical trial and as a prerequisite, you had to test positive for the EGFR gene and my Dad was unable to qualify because they said they did not have enough of a tissue sample to make that determination.

Some further details regarding my Dad's progress so far: he is convinced he is fine and that the cancer has stopped growing; he takes a TON of supplements ranging from a liquid multivitamins (3x a day), liquid flax seed oil (3x a day), fish oil (3x/day), a mushroom supplement (blend of a variety of mushrooms), calcium/magnesium, glucosamine/condroitin, powdered vitamin C drinks (3000mg vitamin C a day), milkthistle (when he remembers :? ), a variety of teas (melatonin, green tea, pomegranate tea, burdock root, etc.). He also eats 2-3 cloves of garlic a day mixed with yogurt, and fresh ginger with his tea. His weight when he had pneumonia in the hospital in November was 109 (he is 5'4") and now is up to 127!! He sold his accounting business after the diagnosis and now spends his days wlaking around our town, gardening, painting (water color), and doing Qi Gong (ancient Chinese exerecise similar to Tai Chi). One more thing, he takes an herbal concoction three times a day after meals (we are not sure what is in it), presecribed by a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner/accupuncturist.

I wanted to post this info in case it helps anyone. As a family, we have a great amount of faith in complementary healing systems along with modern medicine. I am convinved that my Dad feels so well now and felt so well during Chemo, as a result of these complementary additions to my Dad's daily regime.

Best to you all,

Yvette.

P.S. I will post the results of the meeting with the ONC tomorrow. Please pray we have great results!

Hi Yvette,

My dad also has lung cancer with recent mets to the liver. I'm an only child too and I understand what you say about being a daddy's girl! After his dr. appt. yesterday, I've been very down. Things are not looking good for him right now and I can't imagine not having my daddy around. I am sorry to hear about your dad. I hope that you find this site helpful....I have found it very helpful lately.

Welcome!

Yvette,

SO sorry you had to find us, but welcome. Where in Los Angeles are you? I am your neighbor in Orange County :)

My mom was also diagnosed as I was planning my wedding and I too am an only child.

This is an awesome place for support. Please feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk.

Yvette,

So sorry to hear about your dad. I was also one who was totally shocked to hear I had lung cancer. I have always been a healthy eater, never smoker and only 34 yrs. old! I think that environmentally there are more things out there that cause this than we want to know about. I hope your dad continues to do well.

Take Care,

Rachel