Brain mets

My husband Jim is stage 3B nsclc. We were told in early Jan. that his pelural fluid is malignant. He has not had a pet scan since Sept. 06. He has chosen no treatment at this time, wants to ride it out. Dr. told us with no treatment this fluid will spread the cells. He is still fairly healthy, went back to work last June, got laid off (sick man on the totem pole) and we started a business in November to keep him occupied. Lately he has been more aggitated then usual, the simplest things setting him off. He was never a totally pleasant person (cup always 1/2 empty) but he is getting worse. He repeats his conversations often. He asks me and kids to help on the tool truck, then does or says something totally different and yells at us for trying to help. My concern at this point is without any kind of scan or testing how would we know what to look for if the cancer is spreading into the brain? He doesn't want any more tests of any kind to see whats going on inside, just doesn't want to know. But, as his wife and the one dealing with his "mood swings" I just would like some input on what may or may not be happening? If someone can give me some signs to look for if it is spreading to the brain, at least if I think he's showing these signs maybe I can talk him into getting a test. At least if we knew something was happening we could "accept" his behavior and help him instead of getting mad at him for it. My 17 year old has already moved out because of him and I don't want to loose my 20 year old too. Any imput would be appreciated. Barbara Lea

Hi: I am afraid that you are heading for difficult territory. Your husband may have brain mets. I guess my opinion is that having a disease like cancer not only affects the patient, but the rest of the family. I hope you can talk your husband into at least treating the symptoms. It will make life much more bearable for everyone. I am afraid that there may come a point where you will have to be the one who decides on care and not him. Be prepared for this eventuality. But, I hope you can meet your husbands wishes and see it tthrough to the end without further treatment or testing.

Don M

I am so sorry for this. I hate how these horrible trials in our lives often rip us apart from the people we love and need most. I will pray for you, your husband and your children.

As for sypmtoms, I believe pain, vision or speech problems, and dizziness can also be signs in addition to confusion and memory loss.

Jim did go to an eye dr. for the first time in his life on his 47th birthday in Feb. He has been having trouble seeing up close to read. His eyesight has always been excellent. We asked eye dr. if he thought chemo would have affected his sight, he said no. Didn't even consider possible mets causing his problems.

BArbara, I am so sorry to hear about this. This link may help with understanding the Whole Brain Mets and symptoms. Let me know If i can help out with anything. Sending Prayers.

Click on link to be redirected;

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/in ... stases.cfm

I am so sorry that you are going through this. WE had Mom checked for brain mets, b/c of headaches. Turned out she had some, but they were completely unreleated to the headaches--you just never know. Mom had Gamma Knife, and did very well.

She does have a lot of memory loss and repeating herself, but I just figure it is a case of 'chemo brain'.

I hope you find some answers, or at least some relief.

:) Kelly