1 year, going stromg

georgesalley

This date, one year ago, I waited outside my Doctor’s office early in the morning for her to arrive, in order to find out what the C-T scan she had ordered showed. When she arrived she immediately ushered us into her office and confirmed that the radiologist agreed with the preliminary diagnosis of cancer. Whereupon she made an appointment with an oncologist for that morning. The oncologist decided that a PET scan was needed before proceeding further, but agreed that I had lung cancer. So my wife and I drove to a Maple Festival in the Virginia Mountains for the weekend.

Hi-di-ho, Make Lemonade,

Geo

[georgesalley] ...The oncologist decided that a PET scan was needed before proceeding further, but agreed that I had lung cancer. So my wife and I drove to a Maple Festival in the Virginia Mountains for the weekend...

George, my hearty congratulations!

I've seen your posts before, but this one intrigued me so much that I went back and read them all again. The thing that jumps out at me is your attitude, not merely positive, but almost casual! At least that's the feeling I get from what you've written. It's as close to my own reaction to the cancer diagnosis as I've seen here.

It seems to be widely accepted that attitude is a key ingredient in dealing with any serious disease. We often hear and say "be positive" or similar statements, but for most that's easier said than done. Many people newly diagnosed with cancer probably find the best they can do is to pursue other activities and avoid dwelling on the illness. To be truly positive and even relaxed about cancer implies a good sense of "connectedness" or "oneness" with the universe. Some achieve this through religious faith or a study of metaphysics, while others are apparently just "that way."

I also think age has a lot to do with it. If I had received the same diagnosis in my 30s, with small children and a budding career, I could not have been nearly as accepting of the situation or "positive" as I was at age 71. I have profound admiration for every young person (definition: under 50) :wink: who is effectively dealing with cancer.

My best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

George,

Congratulations and many, many more. :D

Ned is right, you have an absolutely amazing attitude that I've noticed from your first post. I have read all of your posts and really admire you -- of course it gives me more opportunity to view what I think is your fantastic boat!

Whoever owns it, my husband and I love it. We really miss our boating days.

Welthy