New dx 36yr old nonsmoker

paulaj

My fiance who I have been with for 15years only 36 in age last week were told "you have Lung cancer" like some people how did this happen he does not smoke in great shape and eats good,we knew was wrong but thinking something else never this,I wanted to choke the oncologist because I could not believe not just the awful news but how he presented it you feel so helpless. We did seek a 2nd opinion from mayo and they reviewed what our oncologist is doing and agree with how he is going to treat this,we felt because the way the oncologist(the grim reaper we call him) presented this I felt like he was just going to just let him get thru the next few months/year and live out what ever time he has not not fight for him. They feel because he out of the norm that we could do very well for a long time and I have that faith in him,I just need to hear some positives from other people out there and I really need to talk.

First of all, I want to tell you how sorry I am. This is the time that you should be planning your wedding, not your fiances cancer treatment plan. I'm kind of new with this myself so I can't really add too much insight, except to stay positive. Can you give us a little bit more information on your fiances situation? You hang in there. My prayers are with you and him.

Hello, glad you found us. If you can, fill us in with more details. What treatment did the Dr. recommend? Has it spread out of the lungs? The good thing your fiancee has going for him is the fact he is young and healthy! People do survive this, why not him? I did. I have past 9 years and still ned ( no evidence of disease) Keep us posted. For most of us the next few months are tough but this too will pass.

Donna G

there is plenty of hope here. I too was a "never smoker" and in great shape when the cancer was discovered. It has been 3 1/2 years since my diagnosis (see my signature) , and while I did have a recurrence, I am doing great. There are others here that have been stable or NED for many many years (much longer than myself). The targeted therapies keep getting better and better especially for non-smokers. Check out Ernies story (enrol) he has no evidence of disease after being stage 4 and recently ran a 1/2 marathon.

Stay positive, don't belive the statistics, there is plenty of hope.

Hi,

I'm a 30 year old never smoker with stage IV. I'm 5 months into my fight and better today than I was 5 months ago, for sure. I go to Mayo for my treatment, and they've always been honest with me that this is a bad disease to have, but are fighting for me. Try to stay positive and hopeful. Good luck to you both.

Raney

Welcome here. Lots of info and support. My wife was also a nonsmoker and did not live in a house with secondary smoke. I believe statistics say 20% of owmen with LC and 10% of men with LC never smoked.

My wife was Stage IV nonsmall cell, and was given 9 months. She lived a productive life for 4 years. So, yes, there is plenty of hope. Keep the faith, and let us know how we may help you. Don

I, too, am new here, but the people here are fabulous about sharng experiences and information. You've come to the right place. The non-smoking thing is becoming more and more important. My mom is also a NS with lung cancer. Her oncologist said that the story of non-smokers and lung cancer, especially in women, is only now starting to eb written.

Welcome--

I never smoked a day in my life and I'm Stage IV--2 months away from being 5 years. Prognosis was 2 years. As you can see by my profile been on one chemo after another for 48 months, even had to have chemo last year for another disease and still here not doing bad overall. Not saying it is easy or fun but it is doable. If your not happy with your oncologists seek another one. Research as much as you can. Knowledge is the key. Stay positive and take it one day, one step at a time. Stay with us, great place for support etc. Hope this helps, prayers for the best.

Rich

Hi, and welcome to the LCSC!!

I'm one more you can add to your list. Though I did smoke moderately for a few years in my 20s, it's been over 43 years since I quit and my oncologist says that puts me "almost" in the same category as a never-smoker. That status might come in handy some day when my current treatment stops working and it's time to switch to another drug -- some of the new targeted therapies such as Tarceva have been found to be most effective in people who have never smoked or who quit decades ago.

Along with several others, I too encourage you to start a chronological profile of treatments, side effects, test results, etc. like you see at the bottom of most of our messages. Click the "My Profile" link at the top of the screen, scroll down to the "Signature" block, enter or update your information, make sure that "Always attach my signature" is marked "Yes," add a photo in the "Avatar" section if you like, then "Submit." All of your messages that have a profile attached will automatically update. It also relieves you of the need to give background information every time you post a question or comment (which we hope will be often!) -- just plunge into the subject at hand.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Paula,

Welcome to the boards. This diagnosis comes like a kick in the stomach to everyone. The younger ages, like your fiance, are particularly devastating. I'm so sorry, but there are many inspirational people on these boards who have long-term survivorship. I thought my husband was doomed when he was first diagnosed based on what I read on internet cancer sites. Once I found this place, I began to believe that he had a chance and now he is almost two years out from diagnosis.

Hang tough, I know your world is spinning right now. Things will get better once a treatment plan is in place.

Welthy