anyone have a cough????

Donnaone

I had right middle lobe removed 12/19/06 and while I was on pain meds no cough now that I'm off the pain meds I have this cough that none of the doctors seem concerned about but it drives me crazy, I don't cough at night or while I'm lying down resting. I don't cough anything up its just a dry cough. Had the same cough before surgery??????

Maybe it's from the chemo carbo/taxol Ive had 2 treatments and 2 more to go and then some tests to see if I need 2 more + radiation.

Hope someone has had the same problem and has some answers for me.

Let me know.

Donna

Yes, my cough started about 7 weeks after surgery and it still comes and goes. Sometimes I would get a wheeze as well as a cough. I was told all of it is related to inflammation as a result of the surgery, chemo and radiation. My doctor told me, after the surgery, the remainder of your lung can move around until it finds a comfortable spot and it can even expand to fill the void left from the surgery. That can lead to inflammation. Of course the chemo and the radiation on top of the surgery contributed to the problems. My doctors weren’t concerned either and told me over time the cough will go away. They did give me cough syrups to help deal with it. I think they are right, my wheeze hasn’t been around for a couple of months now and I haven’t used the cough syrup for more than 3 months. I still cough a few times a day but it isn’t the problem it once was. Next time you see your doctor ask him about it.

Hi Donna, Now that I think back... I did have a cough and a raspy sound in my lungs the first few years. It scared me too. Pain meds are excellent for stopping a cough - that is probably why cough returned when you quit pain meds.

I still hate getting a cough or hearing any noise in my lungs. I've had clicking and plural rub/friction for last 6 years and my docs just listen and make a note of it, but scans are OK so nothing to act on.

I guess this is just the new normal. :?:)

Barb

• 1 month later...

For the past few months, I get a dry, hacking cough and take 1/2 pain pill (Narco, but half is same as a Vicodin), it stops my cough and makes breathing easier. When I saw my chemo guy last week, I told him I was taking pain med, but really didnt have any pain, but it sure helped my cough and breathing. He was so happy I found a way to keep myself comfortable he had no objection to refilling RX.

I told doc I came on lung cancer support forums and a lot of people had severe pain, Fentynl (sp) patches, morphine drips, etc. and wondered when that kind of pain might kick in for me. He said it wouldn't. He's been right about everything else 8)

I may have had a cough after surgery, but I certainly have one now. Of course, allergy season is in full swing and my eyes are flowing like Niagara Falls and producing enough slime for a spin-off of "Ghost Busters"... Could be the insides of your insides healing, could be allergies. If it's really bugging you, talk to your doctor. Even if you've never had allergies, you can grow into them - I did.

(Who ya gonna call?)

My cough has gone away, could be the healing or could be just this time of year. I had my last 2 chemo cycles and had a cat scan that showed that the spot on my lung was gone so oncologist feels that it probably was cancer and I have to do 2 more (total of 6) chemo cycles, wow I was wishing I was done but better safe than sorry.

Thanks for all of your responds, you guys are great.

Donna