Mom's so weak

wondermom

We went for an overnight visit to Mom this weekend and I was kind of taken aback by how weak she has become. She was really having a hard time with stairs and I noticed when she sat down to cross her legs she kind of had to use her hand to lift her leg over. I asked if she was in pain and she said no just weak. I am worried the cancer is progressing but I am hoping it is more a sign of just fatigue from the chemo. I was kind of thinking she would be getting a little energy back because she is behind on getting her chemo because of the surgery she had to remove a brain met. She has a doctor appointment on Thursday. I also wonder if she would benefit by doing some light exercise. I don't think she doing much when she gets home from work. (Sit down job). Obviously I don't want her to over exert herself but isn't it true that the less you use your muscles the weaker they become? It is just so hard to see her like this. She was always sooo active. Any thoughts?

I totally agree with Don. Going through surgery and chemo really runs it's course on the body, let alone working too! (Boy do I know)! Her rest is more important then excerise at this point. Chemo alone can and will knock you off your feet and does take weeks if not months to gain strength back into the body.

I wish your mom all the best. She's a fighter!

Heck, I'm tired just reading about everything your Mom is going through! :wink: And working to boot? :shock:

Seriously, she has been through a lot in a short time and all of this knocks the snot out of you. Rest, food, and drink are good for her right now.

It is hard to see the toll that treatment takes on a loved one, but hopefully she will snap back soon.

Hugs,

Welthy

If I had it to do all over again, (and no, I'm not voleentering) I would have continued exercising until I couldn't. I didn't when I started and soon got to the point where I couldn't. Near the end of my treatment I was sleeping 10-12 hours a day and taking 1-2 naps a day. I was so exhasted all the time. After treatment I started regaining my strength back little by little. Stand by your mom, encourage her when the time is right. I'm hoping she will start feeling batter soon. Hugs, Liz

I don't want to worry you, and I'm sure it's more than possible that Mom is just tired, but not being able to lift my leg was one of my initial symptoms. However, I had intense hip and back pain too, so if she's not having that, might not be the same. I completely remember going up my stairs one step on my good leg at a time and lifting my left leg with my hands. The good news is that after radiation I have my leg strength and motion back. Good luck to your mom.

Raney