What shows in the blood?

teriw

If you have a Copy and want to know what the numbers mean Click on this Link

http://www.amarillomed.com/howto.htm

Gene test to Look into Recurrence possibility. Sorry Have to post this But if you are curious, about this possibility;

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns? ... ncer_rss20

Hope this Helps and Sending Prayers tht all is well with You Folks out there.

I didn't even know what tumor markers were until now. And I see that there is one used for sclc (NSE). I don't know that that's it, because the blood wasn't sent to the lab. The doc looked at it under the microscope when he saw the white cell count was still low (just found this bit out).

I guess it's silly to ask people to guess on something like this. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Thanks everyone. I hate tests.

Thanks again everyone.

Yes Barb, it was a chest x-ray. I know in the past his liver/kidney function tests have been very good.

I learned a little more later last night. The doc said something like "nothing is showing up in your bone marrow, so I want an x-ray to see if anything has changed." He also asked if Bill had been out of breath at all. I guess it's pretty obvious what he's looking for, but I still don't get the blood part. Of course, I wasn't there this time. He just had a CT can about 3 weeks ago.

Oh yeah, and chemo was postponed a 3rd time because the white blood counts were still too low. Higher than last week, but too low.

So now it's the anxious waiting period that you all know too well. :?

Bill may have to get neulasta shots after chemos to keep his white count from dropping so low.I did,as after my first aggressive chemo mine dropped way down and was told i had zip to fight off infection.

Hope its back to normal soon so he can continue his treatments

Any word on this yet? The blood tests can indicate a lot. I get copies of all of my husbands blood work just so I can keep up with the changes. It has helped me to raise a lot of questions to the triage nurse who knows me so well after the past 6 months of my frequest phone calls. She helps explain any disrepencies so that I can anticipate what is coming (maybe)...

Take Care~

Flowergirlie

We go for Bill's chemo today (regardless of what the blood count is, the doc is doing it). Hopefully we'll get a chance to talk about it, but it's always a little awkward in the chemo room.

I get copies of other test results, but it hadn't really occurred to me to get the copies of the blood work. I'm going to ask for copies of all of his blood work, along with the x-ray report today.

Thanks again everyone.

I hope it all goes well with chemo today. If you are uncomfortable talking about big issues in the chemo room, you can always request a brief private chat with doctor or primary nurse. Personally, I have found the nurse to reveal much more information and more thoroughly answer my questions than the oncologist. After you get copies of the blood work, I found it most explanatory to go online and see what each of them mean/ represent and then if I had any questions, that is what I posed to the nurse...just in case you wanted to take it a step further.

Also, I got copies of CT readings so I could know firsthand what was going on. Not sure if that was always good, as it can be quite devastating, but oncologist seemed to be leaving out information since there was no way to address/ treat certain things...It did help me to stay a little more realistic.

Peace, Flowergirlie