Starting to Prepare

Mom's not any better...can't say for sure if she's worse or not myself as I'm a little biased.

The hospice nurse told her and Ralph (my sf)today that she's guessing by very early April we'll be at the end. Mom agrees. She's calm (at least when we were talking about it she was) and relaxed. She's still not holding down any food but sips her liquids throughout the day. She told me today that my sister seems to have finally come to terms with the disease and what's going to happen. I'm still not sure if my brother ever will, honestly...but whatever he needs to do for himself is fine.

We're starting to prepare...yet Mom's not completely given up. She's going to the dr on Thursday to see if something can be done to help...or at least find out what's actually causing the trouble breathing she's been having. The hospice nurse seems to think that it's tumor growth constricting the airway. I'd agree except just three weeks ago she had a chest xray that was clear and she was having trouble then, too. I guess we're all just along for the ride on this one.

Did they check whether there is a tumor/enlarged lymph nodes in the mediastinum ? Those can constrict trachea and the main bronchus. Also, a tumor might be inside the airway. I am not sure that that would show up on an x-ray.

At the end my father could not breath. I still can not believe that he is gone: his scans showed tumors in the lungs but there was plenty of lungs left to breath. I do believe that there was an obstruction in some airway that they did not find. But who knows...it is a terrible disease and maybe his shortness of breath was caused by something we just could not eaily see.

(((((Missy)))))) You know we're here for you.

I gotta tell you, dear, and I'm sure you know this... no matter how prepared you think you might be, it's still just plain hard. When it feels too hard we're here to lean on, ok?

Let your Mama know we're all praying and sending so much love.

love,

Val

oh missy I am so sorry to hear your news. Lori and Val are right. Ther is no way to ever prepare for it. I thought that I had and when my mom passed away but I was not ready for the pain. All you can do is spend as much time with her as you can and have all the conversations that you have been putting off and most of all let her know how important she is too you. I put off a lot of conversations with my mom because I was afraid she would be sad and I didnt want her to think about dying(like she wasn't anyway. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

So saddened to hear this, Missy.

Hopefully, a plan can be reached for easier breathing for your dear mom. O2 helped my mom, if for no other reason than her knowledge that regardless of how she could breathe, at least her body was still getting oxygen to the cells.

Prayers and good thoughts for what you are all going through.

~Karen

Missy, Please know I am praying for you and your family. Daddy had SOB the last 2 weeks of his life which they couldn't attribute to cancer spread... his lungs looked good... Am thinking that sometimes its just damage from all the Chemo.... I pray for peace for you all. Love, Sharon