Staying strong for Dad

Just got the horrible news yesterday that dad has stage IV NSCLC that spread before they were able to catch it. He has never smoked a day in his life.

Prognosis isn't great but he is exploring aggressive chemotherapy options and we're all holding out hope for a miracle.

I am 26 and married and have a 24-year old sister and a 19-year old brother who just started college. Mom and Dad will celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary this June.

This is a huge blow...

Stage IV isn't necessarily as hopeless as you are thinking right now....I know because I was where you are about 2 months ago. There are many wonderful people on this site that have lived with lung cancer for much longer than they, and in many cases, the Dr.s thought they would. Read as much as you can on this site. The very special members here can be so helpful and supportive. I wish you and your family the best and I am so sorry that you need to be with us.

Shelley

My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 NSCLC 4 1/2 mos. ago so I know how frightened and devastated you must be. However, you have found a great support group here. I pray that your Dad gets a plan of action soon and responds well to treatment.

Sincerely,

Rochelle

Welcome and sorry to hear about your dad. I'm 2 months away from 5 (see profile) years @ Stage IV (never smoked / prognoses 2 years) so there is always hope. It's a lot to take in and can be overwhelming in the beginning. Research as much as you can and be pro-active. Stay positive and take it one day at a time and one step at a time. Focus on living not dying. Not always fun or easy but is doable. Also helps to get into a support group to talk to people who have been there done that. Stay with us lots of support, caring and sharing here. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best.

Rich

Sorry to hear about your dad. There are many of us here that are stage IV and are having good results with our treatment. You do not have to accept the doctor’s prognosis. Get aggressive treatment and you can live with this disease.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Thank you all for your wonderful words of support! This group has already provided so much comfort and information. It's hard getting news like this but your stories have inspired me. :)

Dad had a very encouraging consult with his oncologist yesterday. They consider this very treatable and will start the first round of chemo tomorrow. We're all trying to keep up each other's spirits as this journey begins...