Asking for Prayers.. again.

Tami

I apologize for coming to all of you again.. but I know what a powerful force this group can be.

As many of you know my life at home is far from ideal although I've tried to continue to make a life for me and my kids, work and maintain everything else. I've been hoping move my kids and I into an apartment this spring but trying to work (all those jobs) and still find time to complete the remodeling on the house has been tough. I put new vinyl in my bathroom but in order for me to learn how to do that I have to try to attend a workshop (thank goodness for Lowes workshops) learn what to do and then find the time to actually do it.. sometimes with less than stellar results.. :roll:

Anyway, I'm asking for prayers for my son.. he's 15. For the last few weeks we've been dealing with school issues, depression, grades (along with a troubled stepfather at home) and we've had some ups and downs. Even though I've been healthy for a few years it's still frightening and it all seems too much at times. All this came to a head this past week when I found out my dear sweet son has been considering suicide. He left me a note telling me how he was feeling on tuesday evening, so yesterday was spent at a crisis center and he agreed to be admitted to a psychiatic clinic. While this is a good thing and I am praying that this will help him.. he is going to be there for 5-10 days. I have never been apart from my kids except for the occasional sleepover an needless to say this is devastating for me. My husband now wants to leave (which may not be a bad thing but at VERY bad time) and I will be faced with everything on my shoulders again. I think not only is the alcohol abuse increasing I think he fears the family counseling we will no doubt be facing soon.

I'm really having trouble dealing with all this. I mean terribly difficult. I feel like I'm falling apart. Days without eating or sleeping and just not knowing what to do. I'm also beginning to get sick again.. Had pneumonia for about a month in December and I'm starting again with the off and on fever, sore throat, chest pain and cough. So I know the routine well enough to know it's coming back. I just can't be sick right now..

If anyone has a spare moment I'd really appreciate prayers for my son and his recovery. For him to know how much he is loved, valued and how important and precious he is.

Thanks so much to all of you again..

Tami, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your son and family. I'm so sorry this is all happening. I have 2 teenage boys and I know how fragile they are. Things that we can deal with as adults are overwhelming for them, and sometimes they think there is nothing left for them. You took the best first step by admitting him somewhere he'll receive counseling and support. You need to take care of yourself too, because he's going to need you when he comes home. You know that you'll be receiving all kinds of prayers from your friends on this site. I hope everything turns out for the best with you and your husband and that your son comes home to you soon. Shelley

You and your son are in my prayers as well as your husbnand for him to understand what is going on and how to change the things that can be changed and to accept the things that can not be changed. I pray that you guys will soon find peace, love and happiness.

Tami, your son is in my prayers. I hear every word you are saying. I have a son that had a very similar and rough adolescence, to the point where I literally felt desperate and hopeless about helping him. However, as a Mom, I never, ever gave up. Long story short: without my knowledge, he went off his anti-depressants and joined the Army in 2002. At first, I was very upset...certain that he could not succeed under the circumstances. I was convinced that disaster would ensue.

He not only succeeded, he thrived. Today, he is 24 years old, a Staff Sergeant in the Army, has had one year in Iraq, and is doing wonderfully. He looks, sounds, and acts like an entirely different person. He is loving and responsible.

I am not telling you that the military is the answer - I am telling you that many times, in the most unexpected ways, kids can find ways to turn themselves around. Much of it probably has to do with maturing past mid-adolescence. I believe that

as long as you continue to love him and nurture him (and you no doubt will), that seed will somehow germinate at some point and he will become the man he is intended to be. Stay strong - I know what you are going through.

Tami, your plate is most definitely overflowing. I am glad your son is where he can get help and they should be able to give you a plan for what to do when he comes home.

Remember, you can only do so much, you are one person. As others have said, take care of you first, a sick you gets nothing done. Take each day as it comes and do what you have to and what your energy lets you do. We had a lot of trouble with Earl's son as a teenager (yeah, he lived with us). He ended up in an adolescent treatment hospital for 6 months. But, he has his act together now. So have faith.

We are here for you for whatever we can do cyberly.

Tami,

I will pray for you and your son. You might want to ask around in your area about Stephen Ministry. Many churches have this. It is a one on one relationship to help one through a crisis. It can be a big help. If you would like you can give me your location and I can check and see if there is one there.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone.. thanks for your prayers and PM's.

My son is home, came home last Thursday. I was thrilled it was the most painful experience of my life. I am glad that he's finally home. He decided to go back to school on Friday and while goofing with a bunch of kids fell on some steps and broke his hand. So Friday it was off to the doc to have it set and put in a cast so now he has a hot pink cast and my younger one who's 13 has a neon green one (he broke his thumb sledding at a friends).

Needless to say it's been a loooong couple of months. My house is going up for sale in May and then my H will be moving back home with his mom (that is the plan for now) and the kids and I will move into an apartment. I'm still working all 3 jobs but hopefully that will end after the move.. I'd be thrilled with just one!

I'm hoping (and praying) for a peaceful and enjoyable spring where the kids and I can relax and recoup after this very bad year. The end of April I will celebrate 5 years of NED. My pneumonectomy was done and I came home in mid April, went back for my CT scan the end of April and finally met NED.

I'm going to celebrate that he's home and that we are working for a better life for all of us.

thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

tami

Tami,

I had no idea you were going through such tough times at home. I have walked the road you are on with my own son... he is now 19 and seems to be in better control of his life. I do believe he suffers (suffered) from depression, although he vehemetly denies it and he turned to pot to "self-medicate". You are fortunate that your son was willing to seek professional help. My son refused and we had a very tough 6 years. I will pray your life continues on a good path, and you get settled in your new apartment without any hitches. Love, Sharon