Dehydration

Muffy

The best thing to do is go get the IV's at ER-- it is quick and you see results fast. The bad thing about dehydration is it takes away your need to drink - you need water but you aren't thirsty. So- drinking water will help but you may not get enough. A good way to know how the body is doing is from the urine-- if it is dark- you're dehydrated. Clear urine means you are most likely drinking enough.

Dehydration causes the body to pull fluid from other organs and the blood-- it is dangerous-- so please go to the ER.

also need electrolytes in addition to just fluids. Iv is actually the best way but not fun. If you do drinking fluids at home be sure to throw in some gatorade for the electrolytes. If too much fluid goes in and not enough comes out. Bloating and weight gain from fluid retention becomes a problem then you have to be concerned about rermoving some fluid using Albumin.

Muffy,

If you are dehydrated, the fastest way to get it back is IV. Then try to drink enough water to keep from getting dehydrated. I try to drink an 8oz glass of water for every hour that I am awake. Then I get extra exercise at night getting rid of it. Sometimes I think I’m a tanker for water, but I have never been dehydrated yet.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

As much as I am sure you want to avoid IV fluid the best way is IV. If you don't go to the ER call around to the Urgent or Immediate Cares. One out of three urgent cares that I work at actually do IV hydration there and it will probably cut down the wait time to be seen. Hope all goes well and saying prayers for quick hydration.

Thanks for the advice. I was asking for my mom, I can't take her to the er, I just brought her home from a 16 hour stay at a local rest home. The doctor sent her there for rehab (after 2 1/2 weeks at hospital) bc she cant use her arms or legs, (due to probs from chemo and osteo, her spinal cord is having some damage. anyway,I brought her here from the rest home,ama, and she was really in bad shape. (they did not take care of her)I got hopspice to come in Friday and help, but I still haven't gotten her an iv yet. EI is not an option, bc if I take her, I can't get her back home. It's hard to get anyone to help when you are in this situation. I am having a very hard time, as I can barely turn her for changes, etc. but I can't leave her in that place at all. I will just do the best I can. I pray for any family that is dealing with this disease, it's so hard.