New here, and feel blessed to have found you all

Nova

My name is Nova, and we live in Florida.

My husband was Dx'd with SCLC in January.(limited, but not only "inside" his left lung, it's pressing into his ribs on the outside, and is wrapped around the bottom of his heart also... has some nearby lymph nodes affected too).

He's just finished up his third round of chemo today, and has three more to go. (We made it thru the "halfway" mark!)

He started radiation a few days ago. (Twice a day, 5 days a week, for 3 weeks).

The first post I read here, was from a fellow named Don.. it gave me great hope, to say the least! Wow! What a fantastic outlook!

The second post I read, was from "Loretta", stating that although her husband was still with her, she missed him. It made me cry....

I truly thought I was the only one feeling that way... I've watched my hubby lose 30+ pounds, watched his beautiful, head full of blonde hair fall out in clumps, and watched his normally sparkly, huge blue eyes, get so lifeless and dull, that I almost can't recognize him anymore.

I've listened to him snap at me in angry tones, over things I have no control over, and Yeah, I too, want my old life back!

All I can say, is thank you for being here, and thank the Lord I found this place!

Please know that I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers, and please do the same for my husband.

It's nice to "meet" you all,

Nova

Welcome Nova! I am sorry to read about your husband and all of your life changes. I know it is so hard to swallow. This is a great resource for information and support. Please feel free to come here with any questions, rants, etc you may have. I too am a spouse going through sc extensive lung cancer with my husband. Please feel free to PM me if you want or need. I am a great listener (reader).

Sending you positive thoughts!

Flowergirlie

Welcome Nova!!

I always hate that there are new members showing up...but I'm very glad you've found "us", too!! This is, as flowergirlie said, a wonderful place for information, love, support, and understanding! I've yet to have something come up that no one else has before me and it's comforting to know that, sometimes!

I'm sorry you and your husband are dealing with a "new normal" and am sending many prayers for a good outcome with treatment!!

Welcome Nova! You have come to an amazing place. Congrats on making it past the 1/2 way mark!!! Cancer is so unfair...it strips all in its wake of everything normal. We all begin a new normal that we would prefer not to have. Please know you have my prayers, for the miracle of healing, and for the strength of God. May you know peace and always God's warm hand.

There is so much hope...look at my dad's story!

Jen

Thank you for the warm welcome.

This is exactly the type of place (Board) I've been looking for, since my husband was diagnosed!

I've read posts until my eyeballs are about to fall out. :) I've gotten tears in my eyes, I've smiled, I've felt panic, (when I saw that a loved one was waiting on a test result), etc.

There's a wealth of information here, but the best part to me, is that you're all "Just like us"!! :D Thank you, thank you!

I've seen some abbrevations that I'm not familiar with, so maybe you could let me know what a "MET" is....??? Also, I noticed the initials "NED"...?

My husband pays so little attention to what the doctor's tell him, that I feel I need to absorb what information I can, so at least one of us will know what they're saying!!

Thanks again.. I appreciate your time, thoughts and prayers.

Nova

Hi Nova. Welcome to our family. I am so very sorry to hear that your husband is battling this terrible disease. As a wife that has expereinced this, my heart reaches out to you. This board helped me through so very many dark days. The love, support and information you recieve her is priceless. By the way, I live in Florida. I live near Melbourne, on the east coast. Please let me know if you would like to talk. I'm a pretty good listener.

Hi Nova and welcome. I haven't been here long myself but have found this a wonderful source of information, help and support. There will be tons of abreviations that posters use and you'll learn all of them! For now.... NED is "no evidence of disease" and Mets refers to metastasis or "spread" of the disease. Metastasis implies a distant spread of disease rather than local invasion of the tumor to nearby tissues. (my physician husband actually typed that last line!) My mom has been feeling so much better since starting her treatment and I am so thankful to have found this site so that I have someone to talk to about this horrible disease. Shelley

Hi, Nova, and welcome to the LCSC. This is one of those rare places you can express your deepest feelings ("let it all hang out," so to speak) with no fear of ridicule. On the contrary, you'll find many others who have shared those same thoughts, and you may find a perspective or way of coping that you hadn't previously considered.

In case you were wondering, you can create the chronology of symptoms, diagnoses, treatments, etc. that you see at the bottom of most of our posts in the same way you added the "ray of light" quote. Click "My Profile" at the top, scroll down to "Signature," enter/update your information, and ensure "Always attach my signature" is marked "Yes." If you like, add a photo using the "Avatar" feature. An up-to-date profile will save you lots of time in the long run -- just plunge into the subject at hand and submit! Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Thank you for the "welcome's", and for letting me know what the abbreviations stand for!

I enjoy seeing the pictures you have posted, and also reading the histories that accompany your posts.

Looks like quite a few people were mis-diagnosed at first..?... They told my husband he had cracked ribs, (even though the X-Rays didn't show that...)

They changed it to "pleurisy" after that, then finally ordered a cat scan which showed the tumor on his left lung.

As soon as I get time, (my computer is "older then Mose's", and very slow :) ) , I'll work on adding a picture and my husband's history.

Thanks for explaining how to do that.

Take care, and thanks again,

Nova

Hi Nova,

I too was diagnosed with SCLC limited - back in April 2002. Long time ago! I remember being very weak by the third chemo; also had twice daily radiation. It all starts to catch up right about now. Make sure your hubby is drinking plenty of water and eating small amounts of food every few hours. It can be hard to eat, but it's very important that he does. I know my saying "don't worry" means nothing, but as he finishes up the treatment he may start to regain his strength, slowly but surely. Please let him know there are folks here who have undergone this treatment and had excellent results. ((()))

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

Thank you!!!!

It sounds as if you received the exact same regiment/type of chemo and radiation that my husband is getting now.

I was so happy to read your post! (Happy for you, and happy for me too.) :) You're an inspiration !

Thanks for sharing your story! It made my day!

Hi Nova

Welcome-My Mom was diagnosed with ext small cell in Sept and she has done very well with her treatments. She is now going to be treated like she has limited because nothing shows outside of the lung anymore. They are going to give her radiation 2 times a day starting next week. If there is anything I can help you with just PM me and I will do my best. I have tried to read just about everything I can get my hands on with small cell. I know it's discouraging the statistics-but they are just that. You see on here that people even with ext small cell survive and we have to believe our loved ones will be one of them!

Keep us posted

Dar

Hi Nova,

I'm glad you found us. I'm not sure what I would do without having this site to come to. Because I know that the people here know exactly how I'm feeling. And it's great to be able to offer support and encouragement to others too. And yes, reading Don's wonderful note and knowing he's still going strong is a huge source of inspiration (I just PMed with him yesterday). It was the first thing I read that made me believe we could beat this.

We're going through this nightmare together. Keep your hopes high.