Radiation can be done on Extensive SCLC??

AnneBurris

Hello,

I noticed in a couple of recent postings that SCLC patients with the "extensive" prognosis had radiation. My mother who has extensive sclc was told that radiation wasn't an option for her because of the mets to liver, bones and lymph nodes. I had the understanding that the prognosisi of "extensive" meant that there were mets, that the cancer wasn't contained to the lungs.

Anyone have any input on this? How much time can radiation buy? For those who have gone through it, is it worth it?

Thanks for your input.

Anne

Anne,

Radiation is used in extensive sclc to relieve pain caused by mets. I don't know if it "buys" time, as everyone is different. In my dad's case, he passed away two weeks after starting Radiation and I am unclear as to whether or not it really helped him at all, or if it made more complications for him. I tend to lean towards the latter.

There are several folks here who did really well with radiation therapy. Tumors that originally were being radiated to relieve pain, have gone completely away. Radiation can relieve pain. Some have even seen remission.

It's a choice that your mom will have to make, and if she does the radiation therapy and changes her mind, she can always stop.

I personnally believe that you just have to try everything...there's always something that works for someone, and you've got to fight until you find what works for you.

good luck- keep us posted. will be praying for your mom.

My husband had radiation to relieve the terrible pain in his spine due to mets. Although it did not buy any time, the pain was relieved a bit and he did not require as many pain meds. This helped him to remain able to think clearer for a bit more time. I can say that the radiation really made him weak and seemed to speed his decline. He handled the chemo much better than the radiation.

My husband is getting radiation for a tumor on his chest wall that will not stay gone with chemo. The radiation was started for pain but now the doctos think they can get rid of it. His other met was just microscopic spots on the adrenals. That easily goes into remission with the chemo. He is having a CT scan today to see what the radiation has taken care of so far.

Believe it or not, some people do survive this disease. I am praying that miracles happen for all of us.

My husband is getting radiation for a tumor on his chest wall that will not stay gone with chemo. The radiation was started for pain but now the doctos think they can get rid of it. His other met was just microscopic spots on the adrenals. That easily goes into remission with the chemo. He is having a CT scan today to see what the radiation has taken care of so far.

Believe it or not, some people do survive this disease. I am praying that miracles happen for all of us.

I am one who had radiation and I do have extensive sclc. When I was diagnosed in Feb of 2001 I was told radiation was not an option also. I had chemo for 9 mos and was in remission for 1 yr. In Feb of 2003 I had a new tumor show up in the L lung, not a place that it had been origionally. The Dr decided to treat that tumor with radiation since there were no new signs of mets except that one area. The radiation I had was 5 x week times 6 weeks and also had 6 more months of chemo. I am at this time in remission. It has been 2 months since my last treatment. Hopefully this helps.

Guest canuckwebgrrl

My step-dad was told radiation was an option to "solidify the progess made with the chemo" the same day he was diagnosed with extensive SCLC, with mets to nodes & liver. His 10 radiation sessions were not done to ease pain (he wasn't in any pain after the chemo did it's thing), they were done to keep the chest mass from growing again right away after the chemo was finished. He'll have his first checkup since he stopped the chemo & rad soon.

• 1 month later...

My husband was diagnosed with extensive small cell, with mets to lymph nodes and liver. He had vena cava syndrome, and the left vocal cord nerve was being blocked by the tumor. (Funny little nerve has to be in the chest)

They started Radiation on him while at the hospital and continued until he completed 27 rounds. He also had Chemo at the same times, which at the time I thought was quite a lot for him to handle. But luckily he had no problems with it at all. The last week of radiation was I think when things started catching up with him. But it just made him a bit fatigued and he he slept quite a bit.

We had a ct scan before he started his 4th round of Chemo and were shocked by the results, it is almost resolved.

He still hasn't gotten his voice back , because there may be damage to the nerve but the agressive treament has really seemed to work well for him.

Rosemary

Hello,

My mom has Ext. SCLC and when they found out it was in her bones in her spine lumbar 1- 5 has tumors within the bones, they immediately started radiation I mean, wheeled her to the oncology department after the Dr looked at the MRI, however, they did the radiation on the spine itself to relieve pain and kill the cells, and will start the next series of radiation on her lung mass after the first round of chemo.

I don't know if this is of help, but I wanted to let you know our status with Ext. SCLC.

God Bless you and your Mom, I am hear if I can lend a shoulder.

Beth Ann