Does anyone know what this could be?

daddyslittlegirl

Okay, I'm sorry this might not sound too pleasant. My dad has now finished his 15th radiation treatment. The other night he had a bad coughing attack and ended up coughing up a big meaty chunk. My mom asked the nurse at the radiology center and he said that it could have been part of the tumor. He said that when radiation is working it breaks up the tumor and the body can dispose of the small pieces but not the big ones. Has this ever happened to anyone? If so, could this be a good thing??? Thanks for the info.

I have never heard of this before. Coughing up a tumour would be a good thing of course. My thought would be go to the ask the expert forum and ask our wonderful Dr. West this question. He is our resident oncologist from Swedish Innstitute in Seattle and should have an answer for you. He is very good and also prompt at answering questions. Good Luck and sending prayers for good news.

I haven't heard of that happening a lot, but that sounds like a pretty good explanation of what might have happened. I suppose if that's the case, it might be a good thing, but I'm not yet expecting or hoping that many of my patients will cough up big chunks of tumor. I would imagine that it could also be old clot material or scar tissue.

I'd probably check in with your oncologist's office just to provide an FYI and see if they are inclined to check things out further.

-Dr. West