Email to the White House

Liz13

Larry is right. Here is info from NCI.

National Cancer Act of 1971

In 1970, the American people made clear their desire for a cure for the second-leading cause of death in the United States. President Nixon responded during his January 1971 State of the Union address: "I will also ask for an appropriation of an extra $100 million to launch an intensive campaign to find a cure for cancer, and I will ask later for whatever additional funds can effectively be used. The time has come in America when the same kind of concentrated effort that split the atom and took man to the moon should be turned toward conquering this dread disease. Let us make a total national commitment to achieve this goal."

As part of this national effort, in October 1971, the Army's Fort Detrick, Maryland, biological warfare facility was converted to a cancer research center, eventually becoming the Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, an internationally recognized center for cancer and AIDS research.

On December 23, 1971, President Nixon followed through on his promise as he signed the National Cancer Act into law, declaring, "I hope in the years ahead we will look back on this action today as the most significant action taken during my Administration."1

The National Cancer Act (P.L. 92–218), "The War on Cancer," gave the NCI unique autonomy at NIH with special budgetary authority. The Cancer Chemotherapy National Service Center (CCNSC) increased its efforts to acquire new compounds for testing with the awarding of an acquisition and inventory contract responsible for the collection and documentation of test agents.

Then the following comment also from NCI:

According to Vincent DeVita, M.D., director of NCI from 1980–1988, the War on Cancer “…did everything it was supposed to do. It supported basic research handsomely. It set up application programs—the EORTC [European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer] and U.S. clinical trials programs. The incidence of cancer in this country started dropping in 1990 and has continued to drop every year since, and so has mortality. And the morbidity from cancer, comparing 1971 to 2005, is like night and day….So, every benchmark of the mandate has been hit.”

1 Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program. Cancer Facts & the War on Cancer. 2002.

2 Haran C. Vince DeVita: the view from the top. Cancer World June–July 2005;38–43.

------------------------------------------------

Looks like we need to get the squeeky wheel moving in old D.C. for newer benchmarks. It sure as heck wouldn't hurt if our states spent the tobacco money for the reason it was given instead of pet projects! As for the DOD -- I also found it interesting that portion of the Fed budget for research goes to them. - Welthy

Won't get political, but have a handy hint for some. I notice that I have less of a crick in my neck when I come to the LCSC if I place something under one side of my monitor to straighten it out. For some reason it always leans to the left. :wink:

Please never mistake a caregiver or family member as someone who sits on the sidelines. We may not be the one actually carrying the ball, but we are running with them every step of the way.

Welthy

Don't know which way my monitor is leaning, I find myself bending over backwards and biting my tongue at times from the turn of tide and majority rule here.

Funding for cancer research should not leave our troops in Iraq without appropriate protective gear. Cancer research should also not pull funds from infrastructure. Were there less corruption in the government and more honest people in this country, there could truly be more spent on research.

Colleges should receive funding for research, medical schools should receive funding for research, drug companies should fund research. Funding should not come from national security. Whether the war is popular or not, we have stepped in it big time.

...and one thought on that research. "Lab rats" are needed. People with cancer are needed to test these possible cures. How many of us with cancer are willing to step up and NOT USE A "PROVEN" CHEMO in order to test these new medications?

Don't look at me, I'm not that brave. I refused to do a double-blind trial. Reasoning? I was playing the odds one medication would work IF I was the one given that medication - were I not the lucky one with the medication, I was doing NOTHING...and I wasn't willing to take the chance of doing nothing.

There are more than two sides to every story. Were the research in the works, how many of us would step up for an unknown over something that has worked sometimes?

..and any day that someone offers me prayers and is EARNESTLY praying for me, THAT means something. I may not be highly religious, but I believe in the power of prayer. If President Bush were to invite the country to pray for me and my family, that would be enough for anyone not in the medical research community to do to help me.

"Snowflake"]Don't know which way my monitor is leaning, I find myself bending over backwards and biting my tongue at times from the turn of tide and majority rule here.

I guess we know then to which side the next administration is going to be leaning, in 2008.

I agree with Katie. We are cancer advocates. Isn't it why we are on this site in the first place?

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=522804&category=OPINION&newsdate=10/5/2006

Please read the story at the top and notice ZERO funding by Congress for funding for lung Cancer. I guess that can be blamed on our current President also. I also said along time ago that Lung Cancer was politically incorrect and this is what i mean about getting Goverment involved as our congress people will do thing's that they feel will garnish them in a electible position as they care only about being re-elected. NOW LET IT BE NOTICED I'M ADMITTING I WAS WRONG ON WHO FUND'S CANCER RESEARCH as i was assuming since the drug companies profit from the treatment's they must be doing most of the research. Another poster was right on about Goverment's intended role which was to provide a Army and i might ad to collect taxes from import's not our citizen's as Jefferson worried that once the Goverment taxed private Citizen's it would use that money to buy vote's. I'll not comment on the CBS story that was recommended as the Blogger's there prove what i suspect. And Welthy thank's for Nixon and the war on Cancer article at least i'm right on one thing.I had said in my previous remark's that it was my last comment's on this but once i saw i was wrong i wanted to openly admit it as i take pride in my honesty. But just remember if you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything and yes my moniter seem's to lean Left....

You're right, Barb. Although I work in cardiology and I can tell you that we get lots of money for research and we make unbelievable progress.

I hope we all continue to fight for our health, our security and for the things we love most in life.

Best wishes to all on this site.