Insurance for RFA

Guest Mary Ann

Guest Mary Ann

I have been reading this Message Board for over a year. I have received some wonderful advise just by reading other messages. This is the first time I have signed in with a question. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.

I have been approved for RFA (Radio Frequency Ablation), but my insurance company has denied the pre authorization request.

I live in Michigan and I hope to have the procedure done in Auora, IL. I am blessed to have very good Health Insurance. Unfortunately, they have denied my request for this procedure. :(

Does any one have any ideas on how to get this approved? Has any one received insurance coverage for this procedure?

Mary Ann

Stage IV - Non Small Cell

Diagnosed - February, 2002

Upper left lung removed March, 2002

Mary Ann,

Why are they refusing you RFA? You need to know the exact reason then appeal their decision. I have never had any problems with medical insurance in the present or past so only know you can appeal their decision, also call you congressman after you know why and ask him to contact them too. Don't stop there, call the American Cancer Society and ask them what else you can do regarding this denial. Call your TV station and see what they can do for you as far as them calling the insurance co. TV can work wonders. Why do we have insurance if not to use it at a time like this......no insurance company is ever going to tell me no. I would fight tooth and nail for what I need and you must to.

Keep us posted as to what occurs...

Norme is on the money (of course). We had to fight over a medication my husband's insurance did not want to pay for. The doctor wrote a letter to the insurance company stating why he needed it, then it went into an appeal process that took forever. The doctor's staff should know where to start to have this approved, they've probably had to do it before.

I do believe I have read that this is no longer considered experimental for lung cancer so they can't use the excuse that it's not standard treatment procedure.

I think they all deny at first to see if you'll back down. What was that movie years ago where the insurance company had a procedure of denying bills three times to see if people would give up? It was based on a John Grisom novel. Trivia question.

All the best.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH MY INSURANCE PAYING FOR THE PROCEDURE. I AM NOT CERTAIN IF IT IS STILL CONSIDERED EXPERIMENTAL, THAT MIGHT BE A HANG UP. BUT, IF YOU CAN PROVE, WITH YOUR DOCTORS HELP THAT IT MIGHT BE LIFE SAVING, ANI CERTAINLY IMPROVE YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE, THAT MIGHT HELP.