having pain problems

spicysashimi

Hi everyone,

This is night #2 in a row where I couldn't get any sleep because I was in so much pain. It is localized around either my lower back or my tailbone. It can get really nasty making me uncomforatable and irritable. I popped a handful of percocets last night which, although provided some relief, strangely kept me awake I think. Went to work today and it still didn't subside.

I know if I ask my doc, he'll just say take more pain pills. Curious if ya'll have had any success in relief doing other things, like hot/cold packs, stretching, baths, sleeping positions, etc. I'm not too crazy about just increasing my pain meds.

More about my pain - its definitely bone pain. I think it is aggravated if i exercise or walk a lot, because one day recently I went for a jog and was hit with a nice painful surprise when i got home. Another feature is that it is not constant, its intermittent usually only lasting 3 or 4 hours, but boy, can it be INTENSE. Also, I've recently had an MRI of that area, and while there is cancer there, there is no noticeable progression from time of diagnosis despite the increase in pain.

In other news, Julia's vacationing in sunny Mexico with her mom and sisters leaving me all alone, so I am treating myself to a cheesesteak - delivered, to boot!

all my best,

aaron

Aaron,

Here are some tricks my mother uses. She has mets to L4 and also herniated disc at L1.

Stretching: lay on the floor and put your legs on the sit of a chair. Your thighs should be at the right angle to your spine. Your knees also locked at 90%.

While sleeping: sleep on your stomach, one leg straight, the other bent with the knee pulled towards your chin. It helps her.

Hi Aaron,

I'm the queen of trying to relieve pain without taking meds. My back/hip started hurting when I was 6 months pregnant and only able to take Tylenol! I did hot baths and hot showers with the water running on the part that hurt. I also used a heating pad sometimes. Moving around seemed to feel better than sitting/laying still, so nights were the worst. I slept on my oposite side than the pain - mine was left hip, so if your tailbone, not sure how that works. I also would put my foot up on the dash while I was driving, and that seemed to help - Attractive picture I know. Stretching also helped a bit. None of this helped a whole lot - there was still a lot of pain. I hope you find something that works. Were you ever radiated? I'm not on any pain meds now since radiation in October.

Raney

Hi Aaron, not much help from here. Maurice is in constant pain & the onc doesn't understand it. He has no mets to the bones. It's like all his arthritis has been aggravated ten times plus while on the tarceva/avastin/placebo. He's now up to 20mg oxycontin every 8 hrs plus ultram 100mg every 4 hours & that doesn't even get it. Since last Thursdays infusion he's spent most days in the bed. Pain real bad, diarhea real bad.No appetite. If you're able to find any solution please let me know. Good Luck & God Bless

wendyr

Hi Raney,

I hear you on the movement thing, sometimes I feel like going out for a walk at 4 in the morning -- on reflection, why shouldn't I?

Wendy,

Interesting that Maurice is on the same meds as me (avastin/tarceva). I am inclined to believe its treatment related since before February when i started this cocktail, i never had pain in those areas although I did have disease there.

Its 1:30 a.m. now, and it seems most of it has subsided, I've been drifting away on the couch. Thanks for your ideas.

aaron

I don't know much about acupuncture, but it might be worth a try. Also, even though he has no pain, Tony has found Reiki sessions very relaxing mentally. They may help with pain too!

Good luck and hope you can find something to help! So sorry you are in the "up all night" club.

"To sleep, perchance to dream - ay, there's the rub."

Welthy

The "tailbone pain" was all to familiar to my Dad. He was put on Neurontin 3 times a day, it helps nerve pain (like sciatica). His pain was due to cancer cells in the spinal cord fluid (leptomeningeal carcinomatosis).

Ask your doctor about the Neurontin, it might help.

Good luck and stay pain-free...

Hi Aaron, I guess you've been warned not to take nsaids because of the potential bleeding with avastin. Tylenol & tylenol based products are ok (vicodin). Maurice believes his pain to be treatment related as he has no mets outside the right lung yet his neck, shoulders, back, hip & knees all hurt. It seems like the treatment is really kicking up existing arthritis pain & he can't take a celebrex or anything like that. Let us know if you find anything that works. Good Luck & God Bless

wendy

Spicy-

You are right- it might be treatment related. John has had a lot of hip pain since starting Avastin- and I remember some posts on here about pain & Avastin. I hope you find something that works for you.

Rochelle

Hi Aaron, I take a product called phenocane, it's curcumin plus other ingredients that is good for inflammation. I take 1000mg daily & have been able to get off vicodin which I have used for 4 yrs for chronic back pain. Maurice tried it for a little while & thought he noticed an improvement but then his pain increased & he quit taking it. See the article 'Curry' in the Alternative section.

wendyr

I experienced bone pains when I was taking the avastin/tarceva combo.

Most of mine was in my hips, ankles and my butt bone (ischuim bone). Weird thing was that I only had a met to my ischium bone and t12 spine.

About 2 months after I stopped the Avastin the pain suddenly disappeared.

Do I think your pain is treatment related - who knows.....

I hope the pain gets undercontrol for you soon!

Wendy

Hi Aaron,

I have interminent pain in my joints. 1 finger on left hand, different one on right. I'm also very stiff and uncomfortable in the hip area. I asked Dr. West about this. He said that cancer related pain is not interminent. So I'm just assuming I'm getting old, it may be artritis, or the chemo may have made it happen. Not much in the way of relief to offer, but I hope you find some soon.

Hug, Liz