Help I feel a mess

Robin

I finished up chemo and in remission and you would think i would be on cloud nine but the days seem so long because I don't have no energy like I use to and my husband works long days so I am alone alot but even on days he is home I don't seem to have interest in doing anything. I feel like I am a total mess. Does this sound like Depreesion and is it common with chemo? Years ago I tried zoloft but it made me feel weird and zoned out so now I am scared to try anything for it. Please help with advice.

Robin,

It is pretty common for depression to pop up in cancer survivors. Surprisingly many develop it after they have completed treatment.

Maybe check in with your doc and tell them how you are feeling. If they decide you are suffering from depression, there are MANY drugs that are available now to combat it.

Hang in there, you have been through alot.

Wendy

I feel it is normal, we have been through alot and it takes time, everyday will get better but Ive just come to terms that there will be days we will want to avoid the world, and I agree with the previous post, walking does help, I took the dog around the block the other day and felt much better when I got home. One day at a time.... Hope tomorrow is better for you.

Robin, Mom and I had this discussion today. She is just a few weeks past her final chemo treatment, everything looks wonderful, but she's still feeling very tired all the time.

I wonder if perhaps it's not a lingering effect of the chemo. She agrees that activity helps, and I'm encouraging her to continue to push and little by little, her endurance will probably get better. I agree with Ernie, a little exercise will probably help.

It could be depression or it could be a combination of things like depression and just your body recovering. My mom was exhausted long after chemo. An anti-depressant couldn't hurt to see if you get more energy. It works for a lot of people.

Robin:

There's a good chance you're feeling junk and listless for the simple reason that your body is all beat up from three months of chemo. It needs to rest! Although you think you should be celebrating the remission and the end of chemo, your body wants to heal now and save the party for later. Whether that comes under the definition of depression, I don't know. I generally don't use the word since it's misunderstood by a lot of people.

You might try to get into a new routine -- some exercises (not too strenuous at first) and perhaps a new home project that's not too demanding physically but will give you a sense of accomplishment when it's done.

And before I forget it, CONGRATULATIONS! You did great!! Aloha,

Ned

Robin,

Listen to your body and take naps in the afternoon. Make sure you get up every morning and get dressed, though. Too much giving in to sleeping and staying in your jammies will surely lead to depression. My surgeon had a talk with my husband and I was not "allowed" to stay in my jammies, I was up and showered in the morning, even when I was just camping out on the couch.

You may need an anti-depressant for a while, talk to your primary care physician. You may also need to go to counseling and deal with what is going on in your mind. It's amazing what those wheels up there can grind in to - survivors' guilt, fear, etc.

What you need to understand is that once you are through it, you realize the physical fight is the easier one, your mind will beat the living crap out of you.

So, take naps when you can, be gentle with yourself, and set a time limit on any pity party. No one is saying you can't feel sorry for yourself every now and then, but don't do it often, and don't do it for any real length of time. The diagnosis sucks, the treatment drains you and life will never get back to the "normal" it was before it all happened. Who in their right mind would be 100% okay with that? Limit the pity parties, but if you really feel you need one, break out the party hat, plop your butt on the pity pot and let it fly - just remember to flush afterwards.

Congratulations on getting through treatment! One step at a time, one day at a time!

• 3 weeks later...

Robin ... it sounds like you're being too hard on yourself ... look at what you've been through! Give yourself time to recover and find your new "normal". In the meantime, why not try some type of anti-depressant to see if it might help. There is certainly nothing wrong with trying ... I ended up on medication after both my children because of post-partum depression. The first time I resisted for a while ... then it occurred to me, why not try anything to improve your quality of life if you can!!! No one can guarantee what heaven will be like, but I'm pretty sure no one is handing out "toughing it out" or "taking the least medication while alive" trophies up there!

Good luck to you and God bless.

Robin,

I don't think you are alone in what you are feeling. My dad went through this as well. Chemo and radiation is so hard on your body, and we put so much hope in it as well, that we are bound to feel different after having it.

I have to say that I am a huge fan of antidepressants. My dad went on them (as did many of our family members upon his diagnosis) and it helped so much. Cancer works on your body, but I also believe it works on your mind as well.

I can say from personal experience that over one year ago, I went on a low, low dose of lexapro. At first I felt odd and almost hazy. However, my body soon adjusted, and it was a lifesaver. I found myself able to handle bigger situations without so much stress. (Mine was PPD)

Soon, I realized when I didn't need to be on it, and after halving my dose for about 2 months, I am now off of them, and feeling great.

Dad is still on them, not because he was down and out anymore, but because he got crabby, and we all decided that if a pill could take it away, then great!

Don't feel afraid of them. I always was (in fact the doc had diagnosed me with PPD and gave me the meds in November...I didn't take them until March because I was just afraid of them) but now realize that you have to take care of yourself in that way too.

Blessings,

Jen

Hi Robin, I know after my surgery and chemo and even after being told there was no cancer showing up,I was very depressed. Seemed like all I did was cry and worry.I finally got on lexapro and that made a big differance. I still worry sometimes but nothing like I did. Hope and pray things go better for you.