What happens after a clinical trial?

Does anyone know what happens after someone finshes a clinical trial? My mom is in the middle of a trial and she won't know the results for another few weeks when she has her scans done. What happens if she does not respond to this trial drug? Do they offer her another trial? Can someone become ineligible for trials because they have had too many rounds of different treatments? Do they ever say "there's nothing more we can give you to try and fight?" Or is there always another option? Basically i'm trying to prepare for the next step in this journey Any insight is so appreciated. Thanks

Trial is just treated as another treatment. There could be other options after that. Yes, it is true that many trials would not accept patients which were on too many lines of chemo, for example.

Yes, unfortunately, patients do run out of options.

One scary thing about lung cancer vs other cancers is the speed at which it grows. And the general deterioration of patient's body it causes. Often it is not even the question whether another option exists (because in theory it does) but whether patient is well enough to even consider it.

The criteria for each trial is different. After you have completed one trial, you may still be eligible for another, based on medical history and other drugs you have taken. There are many trials available if you do research. Hope things so well.

From what I was told by Drs (and if my memory is correct). A person can usually go into a trial after a number of days of not taking any drugs that might affect the results of the trial.

For example my mom was taking a vaccine that did not work. She had to wait 30 days until another trial could be started. The people running the trials want try to make sure there arent old drugs that will affect the results.

Even if a trial fails there usually are some other options.

I think the most important thing is that for people who are interested in trials, make sure that clinical trials are investigated right away, because previous treatment can exclude a person from some trials

Hi - my dad has been on 2 or 3 trials. The one thing I like about trials is the constant checkups/scans. In some cases the trials end, and in some cases they continue until growth/patient wants out.

On the last 2 trials my dad was on, some growth was seen so the trial was stopped. Afterwards he was offered another type of treatment (one case a trial, one case standard treatment).

With regard to limiting options, my thought is that you are not limited by the trials you do in terms of conventional treatments later on, but if you do conventional treatments and then want to try a trial you may be more limited. But that is only my thoughts. Not necessarily how it ultimately works.

Paula