JUST HOPING SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME SOME INFO

MoSTH8T3d

:?: MY BOSS, WHO IS ALSO MY MOM'S BEST FRIEND HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE IV LUNG CANCER W/METS IN ADRENAL GLAND AND 3 LESIONS ON HER BRAIN. SHE IS A SMOKER AND STILL HAS NOT QUIT. WHICH AT THIS POINT I DON'T KNOW WHETHER OR NOT IT IS GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE ANYWAY.

I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT WE ARE UP AGAINST? I KNOW IT IS TERMINAL. BUT IS THERE ANYTHING MORE THAT WE CAN DO TO MAKE HER COMFORTABLE?

MY BOSS ALWAYS SEEMED BIGGER THAN LIFE TO ME. SHE IS THE STRONGEST PERSON I HAVE EVER MET. SINCE SHE HAS FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS SHE LOOKS SMALL TO ME. I DON'T KNOW IF ANYONE UNDERSTANDS WHAT I MEAN OR NOT. I JUST HOPE SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.

THANKS

PRISCILLA :cry:

Hi Priscilla...and welcome. Sorry you've had to find yourself here, though.

Most definately I know the feeling of suddenly seeing her as "small" compared to the larger-than-life person you've always seen...I went through the same thing when Mom was diagnosed. You eventually move past that part of it and see them as that larger-than-life person again...rest assured.

As far as "terminal" goes...think of it this way. Mom told me on one of my darkest days of knowing I was going to lose her "Miss, NO ONE gets out alive...we're all terminal from the day we're born. Some of us just get longer than others." It put a new perspective on it for me and has helped me remember to enjoy the good times as they come.

And stage IV disease is scary, especially when you go looking at numbers. However, as you look around here you'll see many stage IV survivors who are still going LONG after they were told they'd be gone...the odds are beaten every day and there's nothing in this world that says that your mom's best friend won't be one of them!!

Again, welcome to this "family". Keep us updated on how things are going!!

Much love and many prayers...

Hi Priscilla, It sounds like this just happened. Welcome to the best LC site around. You will find tons of support and information here. First off, tell your boss about us. We have a lot of stage 4 here and there is reason to hope. Treatment can be a wonderful thing. Take a look around, read our profiles and our stories, then post your own to let us know what is happening. Chances are someone here has gone through what ever she's facing. As far as the smoking, that is a personal choice. I quit a week after diagnois. Some do quit right away, for some it takes longer. Hopefully she'll put on her fighting gloves and do what it takes to fight this to the fullest. And that will include stopping smoking. Please let us know how it's going. As for making her comfortable, how is she feeling? I wasn't sick when I was DX'd. The best thing I think you can do for her is research. The internet can be an ugly place for someone newly DX'd. Sort through the good, the bad and the ugly. She needs to hear about the good right now. It took me a good month before I wanted to hear about the ugly. Encourage her, cheer for her, pray with her. Follow her lead. Hugs, Liz

Welcome to this site, it is a great source of knowledge and hope. As far as what you are up against; on this site we have several people who have survived, thrived and lived for many years with stage IV LC, and you have every reason to expect your boss will do the same. As far as smoking goes, she should quit immediately, there are studies that indicate people who quit smoking respond better to treatment than those who continue to smoke. Don't be afraid to ask questions, the great thing about this site is the people who are so willing to share their knowledge and experience. You may want to tell your boss about it. I would have been a mental basket case when I was going through treatments if I had not had the hope offered by the members of this site.

Welcome Priscilla,

Stage IV does not mean terminal as far as I'm concerned. See my profile. I focus on living not dying--focus on what I can do not what I can't do. Stay positive and take it one step, one day at a time. Research, research and more research. As far as smoking goes that is up to her, can only help in her treatments if she does quit. Have her join a support group to talk to people in the flesh who have been there, done that. Not saying it is always easy or fun but it is doable. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best.

Rich