3 Days

Smoking. I hate it. But I've done it since I was 18.

I've hid it from my church family and everyone except essential people for all this time. Only some people at work, my family, and the friends I have who smoke know. . . and now you all.

I swore that I would quit when mom was diagnosed. The only thing I did was go more into hiding. But now I've decided I have to quit hiding and I MUST stop smoking. So I started Chantix over a week ago and today is my third day without a cigarette.

The craving sucks and my mood is pretty much dangerous right now, but I have to be determined. You guys are such a support with everything else, I just thought I'd share this too.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your decision to quit the habit. I am a former smoker, I quit 18 years ago after having a 2 pack a day habit.... one day, I just said, this is just gross and I quit. I am wishing you the same success... remember don't even narrow it down to one day at a time... take it one hour at a time, it is far less daunting that way. Good Luck, I will be pulling for ya!!!

Hang in There it will get better!

I did quit when my mom was dx back in Nov 06. I had been smoking since i was 18 also but went cold turkey (i am 32 now).I was totally not ready but when i got the news of my mom's dx, i felt like i needed to do something. I wont lie, it wasnt easy. But as time passes it does get easier i promise. The first couple of weeks were the worst. I kept telling myself I cannot smoke anymore, i need to do this for my mom. It helped me (and still does) to get through the rough patches.

We're doing the right thing and making our mom's so proud!!

Please Pm me anytime if you want to vent/talk.

-Danielle

I am so proud of you. The first 3 days are the hardest. Now you have beat the physical addiction. The physcological is tough too. Just go one minute at a time. Breathe Deep. Watch that the eating doesn't get out of control. A lot of people use weight gain as an excuse to start again. Don't do "just one", it doesn't work. Just talk yourself out of each craving, one at a time. And know that I will be checking on you all the time. You can do it Mitchell. I know you can!! Hugs, Liz

I smoked when I was in my early 20's for 3 or 4 years. Then I quit. In my very late 30's and early 40's I would have an occasional cigarette in a social setting. Then I would have 2 or 4 a day.

When my Dad was diagnosed with NSCLC IV, I didn't stop. But when I went to see him for what turned out to be the last time, I looked in his eyes and decided that I would never give anything more to tobacco. "It" took my Pop away. That was Sept of 2000, and I have never touched another cigarette, nor will I ever. I was not going to give "it" anymore to take from me. My hatred for tobacco and what it did to me and my family seemed to really help me through.

Yay for you!!! I'm so proud!!

I started smoking when I was *blushes* 13 or so and by the time I was an "adult" I was smoking close to a pack a day. And yes, even when Mom was diagnosed, I've still continued smoking. The difference is now that I actually THINK about quitting when I've never done that before.

I really am proud of the step you're taking in your life. One of the hardest things is to admit to others that you're quitting...putting pressure on yourself. We're here for you for THIS too...and maybe, just maybe...I'll join you soon!

I am proud of you Mitchell. You can do it. One day at a time.

I keeping everything crossed here that you will get through this and you will!!

Hang strong there buddy, we are pulling for ya,

Maryanne :wink:

I hope it's alright, but this is very liable to turn into my quit smoking journal. I really, really, appreciate your support.

Every other time I've tried to quit, I'd sneak in a cigarette here and there (pretty much to hold me over), so that I could say I'd only had one or two. I didn't realize I was setting myself up for failure by doing that.

So the honest truth is that I've not even touched a cigarette in four days. It's not easy (in fact, I could easily have a good temper tantrum even right now for one), but it feels so good to be able to be honest about it.

Thank you all for your support. It helps so very much.

Keep it up. I quit 23 years ago after trying several times. I have a real aversion to cigarettes now, although curiously I still dream about them. Last night I dreamt I was buying a carton of cigarettes. I noticed that the carton was about 3 feet long. I was aware that I had quit smoking and was about to start up again. I wondered how I could possibly smoke all of those cigarettes. I told the store guy that I wanted to take the carton back and get something smaller. Then I woke up and realized I was dreaming.

Don M

http://whyquit.com/

Mitchell, I just reached 4 years quit after smoking 38 years. I swear by this site. There is a wonderful support group there. Mike's story is there. While we know that not all cancers are caused by smoking, we do know that smoking is a major cause. Mike felt that his was and wanted to continue saving lives, even after death

by sharing his story. It's all there.

Good luck Mitchell. You can do it.. I did.

Love,

Sue

One Day At A Time isn't just for AA meetings!!

Mom quit 4 PACKS a day over 20 years ago...You CAN do this!!

Suggestions from mom (I asked her today how to help you):

1) When the urge to light hits...take a moment to breathe like you do when you're smoking. "Pretend" to inhale, hold it for a second, then BLOW the pretend smoke out. Do it a few times and the urge to light the cigarette will have passed...if only for a while. The urge comes less and less.

2) Remind yourself that at this point the nerve endings in your nose are reformed!!! You can SMELL things you couldn't before and food tastes SO much better!!! Pop a hard candy in your mouth (sugar free if you're concerned about weight...or go full sugar for the sheer enjoyment of it!) and savor the flavor of it.

3) Keep busy doing things that you didn't smoke doing. This one's the hardest for me because the only time I don't smoke is when I'm at work! LOL

We're pulling for you!

Good for you for trying!!! I so admire you!

I've smoked for 30 years, and I've tried to quit exactly one time... :oops: .. made it for 14 hours....what a coward I am!

I decided last week, that when I ran out of cigarette's, that I was quitting too, so I'll be here with you in a day or two!(I haven't told anyone else yet, so this is my first "public" statement!!! Scary!)

I'm holding your hand long distance! I know how much better we'll feel about ourselves when we "whoop" this! :D

My doctor told me that it takes some people 10 or 12 times of trying before they manage to do it, but we just have to be stubborn! You're an inspiration to me! Thanks! (I'll be begging you for helpful hints in a while, I'm sure!)

Take care,

Nova

Thank you all so very, very much. So much great support I have here. Another day has come and gone, and I have not smoked. Even more, I took another step today and came clean with select friends about my nasty secret and my determination to kick the habit. I was met with so much mercy and encouragement. I'm blessed to have so many incredible people in my life.

Having the guilt off of my chest has been so worth it. The many benefits of my quitting far outweigh my addiction. My biggest reason for doing this is Mom, but the rewards for me are awesome. It feels so good to be able to sit here at the end of the day and say "I did it again!"

I did crave it today and, yes, the craving was bad, but the actual physical withdrawal symptoms were nothing compared to what I went through yesterday. My head hurt, I had tightness in my chest, I sweated and shook uncontrollably, I had the most terrible taste in my mouth, and then my gums started bleeding.

I'd never frown at anybody for failing at this. It's seriously very, very difficult and I have more sympathy now for people who tried and failed than I had before. The misery of the cravings combined with the actual withdrawal symptoms are like nothing I've ever experienced in my life.

When I got to work yesterday, I knew it was going to be tough, so I decided to pray before I went into the office. I bowed my head and started praying and wouldn't you know - I ended up crying. I felt so stupid for crying over something as ridiculous as a cigarette, but it was that intense. I was in misery that words couldn't describe.

For anyone who tried and failed, I do understand. It sucks. I'm trying to be as real as I can in my posts, because months from now when the severity of all this isn't so fresh in my mind, I can come back here and read about all the hell I went through trying to quit - and hopefully that will keep me determined to never touch a cigarette again in my life. (Something I learned to do on one of those websites you all gave me.)

But it can be done and I am doing it - one hour at a time!