3 Days

Mitchell, I am just now reading your post and I had to jump in and let you know how very proud I am of you! This is such a big step and it's something a lot of people just aren't strong enough to do. I think it's great that we'll be able to read your "journal" as you quit smoking. I know your words may be the exact ones that help someone else to quit. Be strong and know we are all pulling for you!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep it up[!!!

It's really tough...so I've heard.

Unless you know what it's like to be hooked you can't know how hard it is to quit.

Tobacco companies really are the slime of humanity! What they pedal is nothing but evil and it isn't fair what you are going through now because of their product.

But you can do it!!!

You show them in spite of their best efforts, they can't have you!

This is such terrific news!

You'll have some VERY rough days but stick with it. You might even fall off the wagon one day - don't beat yourself up, get back on and perservere.

This is also my advice for dieting. :lol: Whether your addiction is to food (I'm currently on day 3 of a healthy eating plan) or to tobacco, you can conquer it. And if it doesn't happen overnight, so what?!

Just stick with it and it WILL HAPPEN!

I smoked for 10 years, and during those 10 years I could count 5 days that I did not have a cigarette (and one of those days i had surgery)

when I decided to quit, i spent a lot of time watching people who did NOT smoke, especially when in bars. THEY seemed happy.

I remember sitting and making snowflakes with napkins to help pass the craving.

and I never understood people counting the non smoking days until I became one of them. Each day was a victory.

You CAN do it, one day at a time.

gail

Mitchell,

This is probably one of the hardest things you'll ever do. I know it was for me, the addiction to nicotine is so great! You are to be commended for your efforts! Congrats on 5 days and counting! I am praying for your success. Keep up the good work!

God Bless,

Sharon

Go Mitchell! I have never met you but I am soooooo proud of you!!!!!! You Rock! Keep up the good work.

You have inspired me also. I am not a smoker but since my Mother passed I have done nothing but eat cookies and have not exercised once in nearly 8 months.

Its time to be healthier for ME. Thank you for your inspiration and I know you can beat it!

k

Day 6!!!! Hurray!!!! Keep on praying. God can help you tremendously with this. He did with me. BreatheDEEP When I was a smoker, all I saw were non smokers. I was so outnumbered. Now, all I see are smokers. And it stinks. I got a shirt out this weekend and it stilled smelled like smoke. And I quit 8 months ago. Hugs, Liz

Just stopping in Mitchell. I wanted to tell you how proud we are of your efforts and to remind you, yet again, that this is something you CAN beat!

As far as crying goes? ohhhhhhhhh boy I can sympathize!! One of the times I was determined to quit I made it exactly 8 hours before I was a blubbering mess of eyeliner! I think THAT memory, how intense that was, is the hardest thing to get over for me. Back then there wasn't help in a pill form that there is now...and I might just have to look into it. One of my smoking friends said, "I just need something to help the 70% that's supposed to come from my willpower!"

Here's hoping today was easier than yesterday and that each new day is a breeze!!

Thank you all for the support. A surprising thing happened today.

I am on vacation this week. I took it thinking I'd spend some time up in the Smokies and then towards the end of the week, go back to Kentucky, where I'm from, spend a few days with my aunt (which I do often), and attend my old church's homecoming.

I made this decision before I knew I'd be quitting, so needless to say, I am experiencing my first real challenges. I think it would be much easier to work right now, but here I am at home - and the weather is surprisingly too cold to go up the mountains. So I thought I may go to my aunt's a little earlier than I had planned. (Keep in mind, my ENTIRE family are notorious and seriously dedicated smokers.)

Well, Mom called my aunt today and they were talking, and when she asked Mom how I was doing and Mom told her, her only remark was "Well, tell him not to bring that misery in here. I can tell from his email that he's hateful and miserable and I just don't need that."

Now, my only email to her was to tell her I had not smoked in over three days, and though the cravings were rough, I was proud that I'd done it. In no way did I go into the detail I have here of exactly how hard it was, and I didn't sound mean in my email.

I was a little irritated by her response. There was no 'congratulations,' or "I'm proud of you," just a sharply worded caution telling me not to come there. WOW.

I may just be sensitive, but it almost sounded like she resented the fact that I was doing so well. Not the response I was expecting from someone I care about so much - and who I know cares so much about me.

Whatever, the fact is I am still smoke free and more determined today to succeed than ever before! Thank YOU ALL for your support. I love coming here and reading the advice you have.

Your aunt must be dealing with her own set of emotions lately, because that sounded pretty random, but don't let it get you down.

We're all behind you.

When we do things we are happy with/proud of we sometimes don't feel we get the reactions we'd expect. Disappointing, but it doesn't take away from your accomplishments.

Just saw this post, Mitchell. It does sound like she is assuming you aren't doing well. You may be better off staying home. It is suppose to start warming up here in the Knoxville area tomorrow and be in the 70's by Thursday.

I'm behind your efforts 100%!!!

You are doing great and don't let this get you down. I have a neighbor that is still thinking she is going to quit smoking but keeps finding justification not to do so. She is admittedly jealous and resentful of the fact that myself and another neighbor did manage to quit the habit. If your Aunt is a smoker then it is probably best that you do not go spend a lot of time in that environment until you have more quit time under your belt. A lot of things I did before I quit I literally steered clear of until I had a good handle on what would trigger me and how I would deal with the craves when they happened. Hang in there .... this can and will be one of the best decisions you have ever made.

I had to giggle at "notorious and seriously dedicated smokers"...it sounded like you were talking about MY family for a moment there! :wink:

Seriously, though (which is hard for me...I prefer joking around :shock: Not that anyone could tell) it sounds as if the word "quit" attached to "smoking" caused your aunt to assume that you're in a foul mood. Not that you probably don't feel like being in one, but I suspect that you're handling it pretty well by the fact that there aren't any truly irritable posts by you yet. I'm sorry you didn't find support there like you'd have wished to...be we (and your Mom who must be SO very proud of you!) are behind you 150%...and will continue to be...even if you DO put up a truly irritable post! :lol:8)8)

Sending much love, support, and prayers your way...

~Missy~

LOL Missy. On cue, here is your truly irritable post.

- - - - - -

Update: Ok, I'm not even able to make a good irritable post. I tried but had to delete it and start over. Here's the details though.

Today was AWFUL and I HATE everything and I'd LOVE to have a cigarette about as big around as my arm right now.

The highlight of my day was my mom, after deciding to go fishing with the family, calling me 45 minutes into their trip to come get her. I have no clue where they are AND I tell her that by the time I find them, everyone will be ready to come home. She insists not and does that whole motherly guilt trip so I will come get her.

Fast forward three hours. I'm lost in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by water, and literally biting my nails when she calls my cell. Oh yeah, she's at home on the couch with the rest of the family - and here I am driving around lost and trying to find her. She gets the BIGGEST kick out of this and can't stop laughing.

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

I'm telling you I've never been closer to stopping at a gas station and caving in. But I didn't. I breathed deep, I grabbed some gum, and I talked out loud, coaxing myself out of it.

And I haven't had a positive thought since all this happened 6 hours ago. I went to sleep but I woke up an hour ago craving a cigarette and I'm in pretty rough shape right now. It's 4 AM and I'm mad at the world, I've yelled at EVERYBODY, and I'm sitting in the dark with a 2 liter of Pepsi and a chocolate Easter Bunny. I'd trade the shirt off my back for a Marlboro at this very moment.

- - - - -

End of evil post. Now I've gone back and read that, and it bothers me to think I'm in that kind of mood over a cigarette - and I'm more determined NOT to give up now so that I never again have to admit that something has that kind of power over me.

So nobody needs to think they have to patronize me or whatever, cause I have NO intentions of falling off the wagon now. Yes, I'm mean and hateful, and I probably should go find some inanimate object on which to inflict pain, but the worst is behind me, this is all emotional, and I'm #%$#@%& better than this! I'm not giving up.

I didn't read if you are doing this cold turkey or using some kind of replacement. If the urges get too overwhelming, rather than give in I recommend that you use nicotine replacement. Try a patch. 14 mg took away any urges and irratibility I experienced. We are all behind you and rooting you on.

Way to go!

Mendy

Vent away!! That would irritate me even when I have a whole pack of cigarettes...so there's no reason to think it wouldn't bother you now.

I'm glad you supressed the urge to throttle your mom :wink: and as I can tell from reading, you're on your way past this, too.

You know what? Thank you for being so honest with us about how this feels to you. It helps me to know that those things I feel when I go smokeless aren't just me...and they aren't just you, either.

Many prayers that today is bright and wonderful for you...you're doing great!

Hey Mitchell, if it makes you feel any better, when I was at the stage you are................I would have made cleat tracks on ANYONE'S face to get to a cigarette :twisted: ! I got past it though.

You gotta know all of us are rooting for you BIG time and we're busting with pride over how well you're doing!

Kasey

Hip-Hip-Hoooooray for you!!!!!!!! To this day when I face a truly stressful situation I stop and say to myself .... if I had a cigarette, what about the situation would change. NOTHING!!! Besides I quit when I found out I had inoperable cancer WHAT could be more stressful than that??? You have kicked the physical part and now the battle with the psychological self starts .... that was always the hardest for me. I would tell myself that I have not quit smoking for the rest of my life but just for the next 10 minutes. I have piled those ten minutes on top of each other long enough to make it 11 months now so DO NOT give in and you will be a hero to many.

Wow! I just read this post for the first time, and I just want to give you the biggest and heartiest Attaboy! Wow! You are doing fantastic Mitchell! I am so, so proud of you.

Keep it up...one day at a time! Stay strong and know we are here for you!

Jen

I just read your posts and I say WOW. That is awesome!!!!!! I quit 8 years ago when my mother in law was dx with throat cancer and it was so hard> I changed the way I did everything just so I wouldn't be tempted. you are an inspiration and I hope your family comes to realize that. Maybe your quitting will change someone's attitude and they will quit also. I am praying for continued success for you Hang in There You can do it!!*****