How long till you regain after chemo?

I know this is a very broad question, sorry.

My MIL had 6 rounds of Carbo/Taxol/Avistan very 21 days (when platlets allowed her to remain on schedule) it has now been 3.5 weeks since the last round. She has seen almost no improvement in her SOB or strengh. Sleeps alot. Winded after walking thru the house............. Am I just being impatient?

I know we all have our different opinions in regards to treatment. This chemo seems to have taken her life from her. I know the cancer would too eventually (DX at Stage 4) but the Onc said any further chemo really isnt going to be nessasary. What ever they got from the first run would be the extent of the reduction. We are with out tumors now in both lungs (there had been 1 in each lung, ............well round ones anyway.) Still have residue showing in a CT scan on the right and Pluera involvement on the left.....he wasnt sure if it was all cancer, part fibrosis or scar tissue on the left.

I just feel so defeated. Bless her...she's the one fighting all this not me.

Beat it!!

It's could very well be the chemo and it could very well be the cancer. The difference in treatments is how the patient response to them. And thats where we come in and say, we ALL handle treatments so differently. No two are the same.

Has your MIL seen the doctor in the last 3.5 weeks? If not, I would suggest someone or your MIL give the doctor a call and tell him about her SOB and weakness. It's never a good idea to try and play out SOB. This could be something very serious. Chemo can cause the heart to react abnormally also, and she may need to be seen at the doctor's office ASAP. If it's the cancer or a tumor it could also be cutting off her airways or a tumor could be pressing in her lung area. (hard to say what if could be). Or her lung/s could be filling up with fluid. This could be many things, but it should be checked out by her doctor's.

Good luck and best wishes to your MIL.

It sounds to me like you have more questions for the doctor and that he has not covered your concerns adequately. Depending on what you want to know, I would make an appointment with him or someone else qualified to answer your questions and get some resolution. It is safe to say that if your MIL is experiencing SOB and feeling uncomfortable overall, attention needs to be given to that and as soon as possible. The one thing I regret the most in our experience was that so much of what we went through could have been controlled a little better had we had some questions that we didn't know to ask, answered...if that makes any sense.

On the other hand, chemo can really knock the wind out of ones sails...Sending positive thoughts your way.

Flowergirlie