need help for my mom!!!!

Sorry I can't hep with much info about the wedge resection. I asked a similar question because Mom (83 y/o) is facing a decision about surgery after her chemo/radiation.

Maryann replied with the following: My husband had the wedge section. If she decides to go with it see if they could give her a VATS (video assisted) which is less advasive then normal surgery(only two small incisions) and a faster recovery. As long as they don't spread her ribs as that could prove to be painful. But that would happen in regular surgery also.

If I learn any more, I'll certainly let you know

Jen

I just want to thank all of you for being here for me and my family. We don't have a schedule for surgery yet. Someone should be calling my mom soon to tell her what she needs to do next. I will let you know when surgery is scheduled. In the meantime, we are praying hard that this is not cancer.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the update from my mom and my sister. Surgery is tenatively scheduled for next Wednesday if they can get all the preop stuff done before then. It will be major surgery, a 5" incision, a wedge of her lung removed, a rib will have to be broken and they will biopsy the lymph nodes while they are there. She will then be in intensive care for about 2 days and then be moved to post op where she will stay for at least another 5. There are a lot of concerns to be addressed over her breathing difficulties due to emphysema, her heart (atrial fibrillation) , her diabetes etc. This is what mom wants, so we will take a deep breath and support her in every way before , during and after.

Please Keep her in your prayers... Will keep you updated. We are still praying that this is not cancer.

Love,

Sue

It will be major surgery, a 5" incision, a wedge of her lung removed, a rib will have to be broken and they will biopsy the lymph nodes while they are there. She will then be in intensive care for about 2 days and then be moved to post op where she will stay for at least another 5.

This sounds exactly like what happened to my dad! They did the wedge resection first, tested the tumor and found it to be cancer, then continued to remove the entire lobe it was located on and broke a rib in the process. He was put into a regular room that night, but then transferred to ICU when his blood sugar got terribly out of control. They do a much better job of monitoring the blood sugar in the ICU. (He is diabetic also.)

I hope everything goes well for your mom and that it is not cancer. She will be in my thoughts.